• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Leavitt back in college, while player he struck is struggling."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Jim Leavitt was indeed a WILDLY successful linebackers coach at the NFL level. To deny that is silly beyond reason and speaks of agenda.

He was instrumental in drafting Aldon Smith #7 overall after his sophomore year at Mizzou and his coaching.  It's too bad Aldon couldn't handle all the fame and fortune at the age of 21, but hopefully he has learned because he could have a very long career ahead of him.

Then there is another 21 year old named Aaron Lynch.  Perhaps you are familiar with him?  He showed a lot of promise this year.

Except that Leavitt coached INSIDE linebackers, and Lynch was an outside linebacker.

Leavitt oversaw all linebackers.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Just some light researching on Leavitt, and I came across this article from an OU perspective. Pretty good retrospective and comments from former players, would make me want to consider him as an AD...

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-bob-stoops-jim-leavitt-coaching-search-linebackers

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Just some light researching on Leavitt, and I came across this article from an OU perspective. Pretty good retrospective and comments from former players, would make me want to consider him as an AD...

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-bob-stoops-jim-leavitt-coaching-search-linebackers

Nice article.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

...um, and when I say "consider him as an AD", I hope you understand I mean that "if I were an AD...". I like Jim and all, but he's a good coach not an administrator.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Jim Leavitt was indeed a WILDLY successful linebackers coach at the NFL level. To deny that is silly beyond reason and speaks of agenda.

He was instrumental in drafting Aldon Smith #7 overall after his sophomore year at Mizzou and his coaching.  It's too bad Aldon couldn't handle all the fame and fortune at the age of 21, but hopefully he has learned because he could have a very long career ahead of him.

Then there is another 21 year old named Aaron Lynch.  Perhaps you are familiar with him?  He showed a lot of promise this year.

Except that Leavitt coached INSIDE linebackers, and Lynch was an outside linebacker.

Leavitt oversaw all linebackers.

Not according to this, and other reports I've seen.  Also, we both know that scheme plays a huge part in the success of any individual player.  And Borland is one of the best in the NFL, but he is still second string?  Come on, this is a reach.  Leavitt did a good job with INSIDE linebackers, but wildly successful is a gross overstatement.  WILDLY successful would have earned him a DC job in the pros with all his past coaching experience.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/02/05/eric-davis-on-49ers-new-staff-players-want-winners/

Former 49ers linebackers coach Jim Leavitt has been hired as Colorado’s defensive coordinator, a source said.

Leavitt, 58, was among the assistants the 49ers fired last month shortly after they parted ways with head coach Jim Harbaugh. Leavitt, who joined the 49ers in 2011, worked primarily with the inside linebackers and former defensive coordinator Vic Fangio oversaw the outside linebackers.

From 1997-2009, Leavitt had a 95-57 record as the head coach at South Florida.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

“We were aggressive, we flew around, and we had a lot of fun.â€

Miss this more than anything.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

"The success he had at South Florida, including at one point being ranked number two nationally, has not been anywhere close to repeated since his departure."

Well that sentence hurts.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

"The success he had at South Florida, including at one point being ranked number two nationally, has not been anywhere close to repeated since his departure."

Pretty much sums it up.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

“We were aggressive, we flew around, and we had a lot of fun.â€

Miss this more than anything.

I agree with this.  It was a fun ride.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Pretty much sums it up.

I like Jim as much as the next guy but there was a *********** of strange events that got us ranked at #2.  Yea, I wish we were that good again but we were never the 2nd best team in the country and we never finished ranked in the Top 25.  Edit: Or did we finish 24 one year before I started following the team?