• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

manziel looks like a bust

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Who below Cutler on this list would you start for the remainder of the season if winning games is your goal? Not, which of these guys is better to build around for the long-term?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Who below Cutler on this list would you start for the remainder of the season if winning games is your goal? Not, which of these guys is better to build around for the long-term?

Serious question. Why are there only 30 QB's for 32 teams?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

First of all ... what in the blue hell does this have to do with anything I've been saying?  How does this NOT make Cutler an abominable QB, and more to the point, how is it NOT a ludicrous argument to make that any of the teams with QBs below Cutler on that list would automatically take him because his QB rating is higher than their guy? 

That said, I'll play your game.  I would take Tannehill, and probably Stafford.  Both are younger, have some studs for WRs and while not perfect in decision making, still have more upside than Cutler. 

Cutler's QBR is high because of games like he had vs. Dallas a week or so ago.  He got all his stats in garbage time because his team was getting blown out the door and Dallas went into soft defense.  Check out this link.  Just a tab or two away from QBR.  #41 Cutler's best game was that Dallas game, a 41-28 loss. 

First of all ... what in the blue hell does this have to do with anything I've been saying?  How does this NOT make Cutler an abominable QB, and more to the point, how is it NOT a ludicrous argument to make that any of the teams with QBs below Cutler on that list would automatically take him because his QB rating is higher than their guy? 

That said, I'll play your game.  I would take Tannehill, and probably Stafford.  Both are younger, have some studs for WRs and while not perfect in decision making, still have more upside than Cutler. 

Cutler's QBR is high because of games like he had vs. Dallas a week or so ago.  He got all his stats in garbage time because his team was getting blown out the door and Dallas went into soft defense.  Check out this link.  Just a tab or two away from QBR.  #41 Cutler's best game was that Dallas game, a 41-28 loss. 

It was a question based off of my statement that half the teams in the NFL would take Cutler as their starter and you told me they wouldn't. You said, "maybe half of half" so I was wondering who you ranked ahead of Cutler to put him in the bottom 10 of the league. And I absolutely agree that there are plenty of QBs in the league with more upside, that's why I went with winning today not in 2017.

Edited by JTrue

It was a question based off of my statement that half the teams in the NFL would take Cutler as their starter and you told me they wouldn't. You said, "maybe half of half" so I was wondering who you ranked ahead of Cutler to put him in the bottom 10 of the league.

Gotcha.  I think your basing your opinion (edit: solely) off of QBR rating is pretty short-sighted though. 

FWIW, I was up in Chicago several weeks ago and went to the Bucs/Bears game at Soldier Field.  Had a great time.  Had an even better time talking to Bears fans about Cutler.  Seems it's pretty split down the middle as far as opinions go.  My brother lives there, he's been a Bears fan for years but has lived up there for a year and a half, and he loves "Cutty."  He looks past the issues and sees the potential.  His girlfriend is a more long-time Chicago resident, she can't stand him.  Wants him out of there, along with Trestman, the GM, everyone.  Wants them to clean house.  Most can't believe the team is tied to Cutler financially the way they are. 

Edited by GaUSFBull

It was a question based off of my statement that half the teams in the NFL would take Cutler as their starter and you told me they wouldn't. You said, "maybe half of half" so I was wondering who you ranked ahead of Cutler to put him in the bottom 10 of the league.

Gotcha.  I think your basing your opinion (edit: solely) off of QBR rating is pretty short-sighted though. 

FWIW, I was up in Chicago several weeks ago and went to the Bucs/Bears game at Soldier Field.  Had a great time.  Had an even better time talking to Bears fans about Cutler.  Seems it's pretty split down the middle as far as opinions go.  My brother lives there, he's been a Bears fan for years but has lived up there for a year and a half, and he loves "Cutty."  He looks past the issues and sees the potential.  His girlfriend is a more long-time Chicago resident, she can't stand him.  Wants him out of there, along with Trestman, the GM, everyone.  Wants them to clean house.  Most can't believe the team is tied to Cutler financially the way they are. 

I'm a Bears fan, you don't need to tell me. But I still think if you took salary out of the equation (and QBR and age), I think Cutler is just outside of the top 10 in terms of straight QB production.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,557
  • Days Won:  423

Only those 30 are"qualified", whatever that entails. I tried reading through all the links to see if "qualified" was explained but my eyes started to bleed ... Click on the Unqualified button to get all.

And I absolutely agree that there are plenty of QBs in the league with more upside, that's why I went with winning today not in 2017.

Didn't see this before the edit.  I would still take Tannehill and Stafford over Cutler. 

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Only those 30 are"qualified", whatever that entails. I tried reading through all the links to see if "qualified" was explained but my eyes started to bleed ... Click on the Unqualified button to get all.

Qualified means that the player has a minimum amount of snaps to be included in the official rankings. It wouldn't be fair to include a player that had a perfect QB ranking if they only took one snap.

Similarly in baseball to qualify for batting records the player must have a minimum number of at-bats. It's one thing to hit .500 with 2 at-bats versus doing it with 1000 at-bats.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

ah-ha!

thanks