• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White potential

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I think Mike White's problems couldn't be any more obvious to anyone who watches these games: can't read a defense, no pocket presence, bad situational awareness, stares at one receiver. Most of his problems should be fixed with experience and coaching, I'm very interested to see the improvement we see over the off-season from him. I really do think he has the ability to get it done, but the coaches have to help reach full potential this off-season. He has the arm and toughness, if he can't get it done next year the coaches are just as much to blame as him in my opinion.

I agree with the proper coaching he can improve.  However, playing in chaos may be a whole other problem.  He looks great in practise I'm sure b/c they don't tackle the QB there and there is no real pressure.  Come game day all bets are off and you have lineman coming at you from all angles.  Not every player can handle that type of atmosphere.  I hope he can overcome that.  I also hope CWT gets out of the way and lets the coaches do their job so we an really see what these guys can dol.

I always hear about how the offense and the QBs look great in practice before the game.  I have to wonder if our defense in practice is giving them what we see in the games.  9 in the box on "obvious" Mack up the middle plays (1st and 2nd down).  Blitzing on 3rd and long, etc.  Maybe this is why the offense looks good in practice?  I don't know.  I've never seen a practice.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

15 more pounds on him during the offseason can do wonders. Remember, he was very thin coming into the program.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

15 more pounds on him during the offseason can do wonders. Remember, he was very thin coming into the program.

Maybe, but that still won't help him if he can't hit receivers.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Maybe, but that still won't help him if he can't hit receivers.

Depends on what you mean by "hit" :drummer:

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  80

I'm sorry, but all the coaching in the world can't fix a QB missing a wide-open receiver by 2 to 3 yards.

if  me and apis are in agreement!  well does anything else need to be said

I don't see him missing that many open receivers underneath, because his eyes stay fixated down field on one target. He can make the underneath guys when he looks there first.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm sorry, but all the coaching in the world can't fix a QB missing a wide-open receiver by 2 to 3 yards.

I don't see him missing that many open receivers underneath, because his eyes stay fixated down field on one target. He can make the underneath guys when he looks there first.

He was 11/25 (44%).  Unlike other games, I don't remember that many drops and on some of the misses, the guys were open by a few yards

He was 11/25 (44%).  Unlike other games, I don't remember that many drops and on some of the misses, the guys were open by a few yards

Not saying he does not miss open guys, but most of his misses are down field or when he is under heavy pressure.

Just looked at his situation stats and from our 1 yard line to the our own 40 yard line Mike White is a 59% passer, rest of the field drops to 43%. I know it's normal for there to be a difference, but that is quite a difference.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

if me and apis are in agreement! well does anything else need to be said

He was 11/25 (44%). Unlike other games, I don't remember that many drops and on some of the misses, the guys were open by a few yards

Not saying he does not miss open guys, but most of his misses are down field or when he is under heavy pressure.

There are a lot of issues that are leading to our poor QB play. Part of it is White's ability, part is on poor blocking, part is on the drops, but I believe a lot is also on poor play design.

How hard is it to cover patterns, when you only send 2 receivers into patterns and there is no viable deep threat to stretch the defense?

The only consistently effective pass play we had was the TE slant. Even most of the completed passes to WRs were short, underneath crossing patterns. Very little YAC.

I only recall 2 long passes that were actually completed. 1 was the play Davis got hurt on and the 2nd was Ryshene Bronson's TD. Were there any other long passes completed all year?

One other question. Does anyone know who the OC under Taggart was at WKU? Taggart may call the plays, but I am sure he had some help in designing the plays. Who helps with that here? He needs a lot help in more than just play calling.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

He was one of the last persons off the field on Friday.  He looked like a whipped puppy dog. His real problem is his mental toughness. I said to him "pick your head up Mikey and get them next year" and he looked up at me and and nodded yeah. a better O-line with more time in the weight room and some key add ons ( don't know where they come from) we get to 6 wins next year.