• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Antoine Mason looking to transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  189
  • Days Won:  0

Antonie Mason, son of Anthony Mason (NY Knicks),  is a NYC kid,  so I am sure our coaching staff  know of him.  It would be a nice one year find, since Canty and Peters are not eligible next season.  But we would need to find a scholarship....

One of the top scorers in the country is set to join a new team for the upcoming season.

Niagara guard Antoine Mason is transferring, the school announced Wednesday. Mason, a rising senior, graduated earlier this month and will play out his final year of eligibility with a different program.

“I know Antoine enjoyed playing here, and I’m sure this was a difficult decision for him and his family,†coach Chris Casey said in a statement. “Antoine played a big role in our basketball program for the past four years and we are proud that he earned his bachelor’s degree from Niagara University. Now it is time for us to move forward with the players who are committed to continuing the tremendous legacy of the Niagara University Purple Eagles.â€

In 33 games last season, Mason, the son of former NBA forward Anthony Mason, shot 44 percent and averaged 25.6 points, trailing only Creighton’s Doug McDermott (26.7). The 6-foot-3 guard also ranked among the nation’s leaders in minutes percentage (94.1) and fouls drawn per 40 minutes (8.0), according to Kenpom.com.

Given his track record as a scorer, Mason should be a coveted asset on the transfer market. He will be eligible to play immediately.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Since he has his degree already, does he have to be enrolled at his new school in order to play? If so, is it possible that all he needs is one class to be considered an Student Athlete, and would not need an scholarship?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Since he has his degree already, does he have to be enrolled at his new school in order to play? If so, is it possible that all he needs is one class to be considered an Student Athlete, and would not need an scholarship?

I suspect he'd go to grad school, and wouldn't sign without a schollie.  We're at max, unless Collins or someone else leaves, or one of the newbies doesn't qualify.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wow, what an interesting concept ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Back of my mind, I'm remembering something about having to go to a school that doesn't have the same post-grad degree opportunities as your current school... Am I just freaming that?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Back of my mind, I'm remembering something about having to go to a school that doesn't have the same post-grad degree opportunities as your current school... Am I just freaming that?

No, you are not dreaming. In FB, we got one of Holtz's former ECU players that way. Our QB, Gregory, did the same thing going to KSU.

I'm not sure if BB has the same or a different rule.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

whats freaming? Sounds messy :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

No, you are not dreaming. In FB, we got one of Holtz's former ECU players that way. Our QB, Gregory, did the same thing going to KSU.

I'm not sure if BB has the same or a different rule.

No date on this article but it answers some questions, http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Graduate Exception

The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
  •  

The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Graduate Transfer Waiver

The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;

A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Must be part of the framily thing...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Must be part of the framily thing...

You watch too much TV