• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLS TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

MLS will never be big in the US.

Such a waste of money to build new stadiums.

The Sounders in Seattle seem to have stronger fan base then the baseball team. I am kind of surprised MLS didn't look to be the first digital content sports (Netflix or some other service). Commercial free delivery makes far more sense for soccer than other sports. But as far as revenue compared to AAC yes I think the #1 professional soccer league in US > #6/7/8 College Football league

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Show me any statistic you can find where soccer viewership beats baseball. Any demographic of your choosing.

And you will buy me a beer?

You said kids today are far more interested in watching a soccer game than a baseball game. I'm skeptical of that statement. I'll give you that the World Cup final gets viewers, but that's like saying people prefer speed skating to baseball because the Olympics get good ratings.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/world-series-ratings-children

Given the average of 14.1 million World Series viewers, that 4.6% equates to roughly 648,600 kids watching baseball. That’s 248,600 more children watching the World Series than the total audience of the average Premiere League game on NBC.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Show me any statistic you can find where soccer viewership beats baseball. Any demographic of your choosing.

And you will buy me a beer?

You said kids today are far more interested in watching a soccer game than a baseball game. I'm skeptical of that statement. I'll give you that the World Cup final gets viewers, but that's like saying people prefer speed skating to baseball because the Olympics get good ratings.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1740529

...For the first time in the 20-year history of the ESPN Sports Poll, Major League Soccer has caught up with Major League Baseball in one significant marker of popularity.

In the survey, both leagues can claim 18 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport, the poll said...

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2014/2/11/5403042/what-neilsons-2013-sports-report-says-about-soccers-future

"MLS still had strong viewership during its playoffs, which were up nine percent compared to 2012. When looking at the MLS regular season audience, viewership skewed young (40% under 34) and Hispanic (34%)."

MLS' youth and soccer in America's appeal to a Hispanic audience give it a fairly unique demographic. 

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

not a public dime should pay for any stadium deal

mls is strictly bush leagues

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

JTrue, you compared a World Series game v the average of a Premier League game. Apples to Oranges.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/11/04/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx

220,000 average MLS viewers per game.

400,000 average Premier League game.

1.8 million average ESPN Sunday night baseball broadcast through beginning of 2013.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Per game when multiple games are on.

Per game when multiple games are on.

Per one game when it is the primary game on. 

Plus how many homes have ESPN v NBC sports.

Until you find numbers for every baseball game played v every Premier League game played you are comparing apples to oranges. The numbers will most likely fall in your favor, but you are using bad data.

BTW the UEFA Champions League final drew over 3 million.

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

I'm not that interested in finding an article that says what I already know. If people were watching MLS more than MLB, we wouldn't have a thread celebrating a TV deal the AAC can compete with.

Edited by JTrue