• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Miami Beach bowl?  Isnt this where the Miami Beach Marlins play?  I didnt think so.

But whatever, I suppose they have to drum up interest by selling the beach because Miami alone isnt enough draw.

Yeah I know its semantics but the city of Miami Beach and where this game is being played have nothing to do with each other.  

Wonder how the Sunrise Dolphins will do this year.

Probably better than the New Jersey Jets.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Miami Beach bowl?  Isnt this where the Miami Beach Marlins play?  I didnt think so.

But whatever, I suppose they have to drum up interest by selling the beach because Miami alone isnt enough draw.

Yeah I know its semantics but the city of Miami Beach and where this game is being played have nothing to do with each other.  

You mean like The "South Florida" Bulls?

Hows that worked out for USF?

Who said the bowl's name had to reflect where the game is actually being played? News flash, the Outback Bowl isn't played in a restaurant ..

No one did.  My point is this, it smacks of being desperate that you have to brand this bowl as being a Miami Beach bowl.  It isnt.  Miami Beach is a small city which is a strip of sand with Miami being a much larger city with plenty of name recognition on its own.  I dont fault them for doing it, but dont try and draw parallels to Sunrise and other small cities which associate with the bigger ones.  This is a branding effort by a fringe conference trying to be relevant.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Who said the bowl's name had to reflect where the game is actually being played? News flash, the Outback Bowl isn't played in a restaurant ..

No one did.  My point is this, it smacks of being desperate that you have to brand this bowl as being a Miami Beach bowl.  It isnt.  Miami Beach is a small city which is a strip of sand with Miami being a much larger city with plenty of name recognition on its own.  I dont fault them for doing it, but dont try and draw parallels to Sunrise and other small cities which associate with the bigger ones.  This is a branding effort by a fringe conference trying to be relevant.  

Do the Bucs play in the water?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

how DARE a fringe conference try to be relevant & market it's product!  Those capitalist barstards!!!

Look, who cares?  Miami Beach sounds cooler, and if you know the area, you know it's REAL close by.  I'm sure a lot of visitors will stay in Miami Beach.  I'm more troubled by the growing # of bowls...but even moreso that we haven't made even the crappiest bowl in 3 years.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

This has nothing to do with the "branding" of a conference. Bowls are usually named to promote something. In this case, it's for Miami Beach. The bowl headquarters will be in the Fontainbleu Miami Beach. I'm guessing a lot of the bowl related activities will be in and around Miami Beach.

The conference has enough blemishes without a ridiculous accusation of trying to "be relevant", whatever that means, through a bowl name

how DARE a fringe conference try to be relevant & market it's product!  Those capitalist barstards!!!

Look, who cares?  Miami Beach sounds cooler, and if you know the area, you know it's REAL close by.  I'm sure a lot of visitors will stay in Miami Beach.  I'm more troubled by the growing # of bowls...but even moreso that we haven't made even the crappiest bowl in 3 years.

And if you dont know the area and want to stay close to the stadium your in for a treat. I just think its selling a bill of goods for the sake of sounding cooler and is weak, thats all.  

Tampa Bay bridges two major metros that are the primary markets for the team. I dont think naming this bowl for the beach is reaching out to the 20,000 retirees in Miami Beach to come out and watch it.  

Ill stop now as I realize my irritation with this is irrational.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

:popcorn:

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wonder if MB paid for naming rights? Betcha

Unlikely. More likely is that MB is a "placeholder" name til they find a corporation with too much money and not enough places to spend it.

• Upvote 1