• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Northwestern football players can unionize, NLRB rules

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

You're missing the point. Most of the players (majority being minorities) go to college to play football, not to get an education. 

I thought you believed in the free market? 

Edited by Leviathan

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I read ohio state ad got a 18k bonus when one of their wrestlers won a national championship

ridiculous

the talent wins and the MAN gets paid

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

You're missing the point. Most of the players (majority being minorities) go to college to play football, not to get an education. 

I thought you believed in the free market? 

I do. They are free to use their football skills to get a college education, or to try and use those football skills for some other purpose, or to try and get a college education by some other means.

The value of a college education, measured over a lifetime, is huge. Hundreds of thousands of former student athletes are testimony.

The value of a pro football contract, spread over the entire base of college players, is miniscule.

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I read ohio state ad got a 18k bonus when one of their wrestlers won a national championship

ridiculous

That sort of stuff should be illegal and not allowed in such types of contracts, especially considering it's a state job. I never liked when Woolard gets a few grand because some team merely got TO a tournament or something.

ridiculous

That sort of stuff should be illegal and not allowed in such types of contracts, especially considering it's a state job. I never liked when Woolard gets a few grand because some team merely got TO a tournament or something.

IDK.

Haven't thought it thru completely, but it seems to make sense for the coaches directly involved. For the AD? Fuggettaboudit

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

ridiculous

IDK.

Haven't thought it thru completely, but it seems to make sense for the coaches directly involved. For the AD? Fuggettaboudit

I could see a coach getting it, but maybe being forced to use all of it or a percentage of it on his staff as well (if they're not included in getting the bonus). It would only seem fair to award a coach $100,000 but then force him to divvy it up to the guys who all helped make it happen...make it happen on the coaching front (and only official coaches, not GAs or waterboys or medical teams). If the players still don't like it, it's a good teachable moment that they can get their bonuses in the future for hard work, be it making a Pro Bowl or All Star team, or winning a professional championship, or excelling at their job of choice. ADs definitely should get nothing extra. Their job already pays well and if they excel at it, they can get more pay by a new contract, or go find a better paying AD position.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,714
  • Days Won:  109

ridiculous

IDK.

I could see a coach getting it, but maybe being forced to use all of it or a percentage of it on his staff as well (if they're not included in getting the bonus). It would only seem fair to award a coach $100,000 but then force him to divvy it up to the guys who all helped make it happen...make it happen on the coaching front (and only official coaches, not GAs or waterboys or medical teams). If the players still don't like it, it's a good teachable moment that they can get their bonuses in the future for hard work, be it making a Pro Bowl or All Star team, or winning a professional championship, or excelling at their job of choice. ADs definitely should get nothing extra. Their job already pays well and if they excel at it, they can get more pay by a new contract, or go find a better paying AD position.

Yet we all want them fired when they don't win.  So if you excel at something you get to keep your job, that's it?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

or you get a raise when your contract is renewed.

ridiculous

IDK.

Yet we all want them fired when they don't win.  So if you excel at something you get to keep your job, that's it?

Why shouldn't that be the case? We pay for mediocrity?

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

As a long time union supporter, member, and current union representative, I disagree with this ruling. Students are not employees and therefore do not have the right to unionize. More than likely this will get overturned in a higher court.

They do revenue creating work, which students don't. They basically are considered unpaid temps, a segment of society that has recently become the focus of attention for what many consider unfair treatment.

There are plenty of students that do revenue creating work and don't get paid. A lot of research work is done by unpaid students.

The research work I've seen students do is grunt work, the counting, classifying, etc. that could be done by someone making minimum wage. I was just watching a show on oysters and if they grow faster in a predator free environment and there were the student researchers, laying out the controls. The professors usually do all the heavy mental lifting.