• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can bball make money for USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I know football is the engine. But I'm wondering if men's bball could be profitable for us? I've never thought about it as a money machine because, heck, we've averaged about 4K of fans for years.

Here's where I'm going with this.

What if bball could be profitable? This means USF could actually afford to bring in somebody who could literally shake things up --WIN.

If it's about the Benjamins, maybe that's why USF heads gave Stan the boot? I'm grasping at straws with the hope that we will actually get a coach who will have a winning program at USF.

Would USF go with 1.5 million to 2 million per year for a coach + assistant money to build a winning program?

(1) They fired Stan knowing that they'd have to pay him.

(2) They hired a firm. That didn't happen the last time.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Could it...yes, but it will take winning seasons and consecutive post seasons to bring in the fans and money.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I think embarrassment/pressure reached the ivory towers more than anything else.

When your own alumni is turning away, save for the hardcores (like those here), it begins to dawn on you that something is very wrong.

I don't think we're looking to turn a buck on the program, although that would be nice.  I think it just finally filtered up that we have to do something besides just show up in a fancy uniform.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

No, It might limit the expense But I doubt the program itself will ever make money. Very few Programs actually MAKE MONEY in BB.

However this article suggest we actually make money http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news/companies/basketball_profits/   So what Do I know,    I think its more numbers being reported like our inflated attendance figures.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

No, It might limit the expense But I doubt the program itself will ever make money. Very few Programs actually MAKE MONEY in BB.

However this article suggest we actually make money http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news/companies/basketball_profits/   So what Do I know,    I think its more numbers being reported like our inflated attendance figures.

That was in 2010 when we had Big East money coming in and we were only paying one coach. After a really good 2009 year.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The program can make money and be successful, but, just like in football or any other sport, the administration needs to truly be committed to making it so. Not just provide lip service.

That means if it requires investing in a top notch head coach, do it. Investing in marketing, do it. Investing in the game day experience.

There has to be a long term vision with a goal. It may take a couple of years of financial losses, but if there is a true commitment it can be done. With a long term goal and vision, spending money on a program becomes an investment rather than an expenditure and losing money.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Thanks for finding that!

The report shows that if USF had a winning program, bball could generate a surplus, even in a football state. Very interesting.