• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hold on to your socks... Realignment may be a commin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

And when they have to pay every college athlete, you see some very pissed off non-athlete students. IMO.

Pretty sure I'm on record for voicing my opinion on how stupid this is. Don't pay the athletes another dime. They already got tens of thousands of dollars in the form of a scholarship to attend the university of their choice. 

*sigh* The reward for accepting that scholarship is not burdening the family by forcing them to pay the way through college, so that one can get a degree and use it to acquire a job and be 'successful'. Alternatively, a lot of athletes in college have an opportunity to make their sport their profession later on in life, whether that's as a player of the sport, a coach, or another sports professional. In many ways, its a built-in internship as well.

I wish I had the ability to go through college without having to worry about paying for it. Hell, if the university had given me a full-ride, I'd have been able to get internships in hospitals and things, which would have definitely assisted me in my current job search.

I'm just saying.

----------

This whole split is all about football, anyway. DI Basketball is so huge that "mid-majors" are full of great teams and other athletic sports are not necessarily as lopsided as football could very well be. As long as the pockets are lined, everyone's happy. Right?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162

Sorry charsbib. Not trying to step on toes, and you obviously have thought about the implications. Carry on.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761

And when they have to pay every college athlete, you see some very pissed off non-athlete students. IMO.

Pretty sure I'm on record for voicing my opinion on how stupid this is. Don't pay the athletes another dime. They already got tens of thousands of dollars in the form of a scholarship to attend the university of their choice. 

*sigh* The reward for accepting that scholarship is not burdening the family by forcing them to pay the way through college, so that one can get a degree and use it to acquire a job and be 'successful'. Alternatively, a lot of athletes in college have an opportunity to make their sport their profession later on in life, whether that's as a player of the sport, a coach, or another sports professional. In many ways, its a built-in internship as well.

I wish I had the ability to go through college without having to worry about paying for it. Hell, if the university had given me a full-ride, I'd have been able to get internships in hospitals and things, which would have definitely assisted me in my current job search.

I'm just saying.

----------

This whole split is all about football, anyway. DI Basketball is so huge that "mid-majors" are full of great teams and other athletic sports are not necessarily as lopsided as football could very well be. As long as the pockets are lined, everyone's happy. Right?

I agree with your post. But then I remember the billions of dollars that conferences are getting and the fact that nothing changed for the student-athlete.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I'm just saying.

----------

I agree with your post. But then I remember the billions of dollars that conferences are getting and the fact that nothing changed for the student-athlete.

Yep.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

From ESPN Ivan Maisel

Having completed the greatest comeback in modern times, the once-hated, now-venerated Bowl Championship Series left behind a long list of accomplishments. The BCS expanded interest in college football from regional to national. The BCS proved to be the rising tide that lifted all boats, from Boise State to Central Florida, not to mention the Alabamas and Ohio States in between.

John Swofford helped end the musical chairs of realignment by bringing stability to the ACC.
But the BCS also brought about the greatest upheaval in the history of intercollegiate athletics. A total of 44 FBS schools will compete in a different conference in 2014 than they did in 1997, the last pre-BCS season. That number doesn't include the schools that hopped from league to league as if they were speed-dating (TCU, Marshall, Temple, et al). Nor does it include the 12 schools that have moved up from the FCS or started programs from scratch over the past 16 years.

"I think it's startling," Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford said. "I took this job in 1997. If you had told me those numbers at that point in time, I would have thought you were crazy."

The Big West and the Western Athletic are gone. The Sun Belt and Mountain West are alive. The Big East has sort of become the American. If you need an explanation of that, you'll have to pack a lunch.

Whether your school benefited from the musical chairs or merely tried to survive them, it is difficult to find anyone who isn't enjoying the current lull. Though Rutgers, Maryland and Louisville will execute their moves this coming season, the schools in the five equity conferences have not announced another move since those three did so in November 2012.

No more moves are expected any time soon, either, much to the dismay of Cincinnati and UConn. Both schools are trying to strike a come-hither pose that might lure the ACC or the Big Ten or the NBA Eastern or any conference that may rescue them from the American.

The conferences with the biggest media rights packages carry the most allure. With the exception of the Big Ten, which will negotiate new rights deals next year (the league's current contracts expire in 2016), the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC have media agreements that extend into the next decade.

In other words, the tectonic plates that produced one earthquake after another over the past 16 years are done shifting for a while. And peace and quiet settled over the land.

"I believe that it's true and I hope that it's true," Swofford said, "because I think the collegiate landscape athletically needs that for a period of time. It will be healthy for major college athletics."

"
It creates stability not only for our conference but the overall landscape.
"
-- ACC commissioner John Swofford on granting the league's media rights
Swofford and his members are responsible for the end of the dance. The ACC schools, by granting their media rights to the conference last April, legally decided to live together. Media rights are what other conferences covet. That's what they sell to the networks for big bucks.

Of the five equity conferences, only the SEC schools have not signed their media rights to the league. No university in the conference has any desire to look elsewhere -- the SEC generates more money than the rest of the conferences. The ACC schools had never granted their rights because they didn't feel it was necessary. No one had left the league since South Carolina in 1971. But when Maryland left, and speculation over which of the league's members would go where refused to simmer, the presidents realized what they had to do.

The decision benefited not only the ACC members, but everyone else, too -- it took the most desirable schools off the market. Don't misunderstand; the ACC took action to protect itself. But the conference presidents also realized that their decision would reduce the fever pitch that had gripped the FBS the same as it had in previous rounds of conference-hopping.

"That was part of our conversation," Swofford said. "It creates stability not only for our conference but the overall landscape."

The changes are done. We have become accustomed to Nebraska in the Big Ten and Texas A&M in the SEC. Colorado has won a Pac-12 men's basketball tournament. Five of the eight programs that played Big East football in 1997 will play ACC football in 2014. Rutgers and Maryland will renew their once-annual backyard rivalries with Penn State in the Big Ten.

"Change is not easy for people," Swofford said. "It's not easy to manage. It's not easy for people to accept. But it's also a constant in life. There's just been, in terms of this particular topic, a lot more of it in a relatively condensed period of time. So it feels even more dramatic."

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, Swofford believes intercollegiate athletics is better off now than it was 16 years ago. But the relief in his voice is apparent. Realignment is receding. At long last, we can set aside the pencils and write conference standings in ink.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162

Swofford may say there is stability, but the great conference realignment oracle know as Tuxedo Yoda dropped this bomb yesterday

@TuxedoYoda  Feb 13 Congratulations (in advance) to UCF!!!

Who do you trust, a guy that is in charge of 1/5th of the powers-that-be or an anonymous man posting on the internet that represents himself as Yoda wearing a sweet tuxedo? Exactly! Your move Swofford.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Yoda has predicted wrong on every move of CA. It's reassuring to know that he's picking that ridiculous, one hit wonder.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I say we partition athletics from public institutions, all together. Colleges can run athletics as a separate business (barred from using public or student money to finance these programs). This way, 'the business' can pay athletes whatever they want... scholarships, stipends, salaries, etc...

That happens, then I and a lot of other people will simply stop watching.I watch USF sports because they're fellow students and will someday be fellow alums.If there's no emotional attachment, there's no reason to watch.
So you are ok with coaches earning millions but players nothing? Makes no sense at all.

Nobody's twisting anybody else's arms, this is not slavery, they're freely entered-into agreements.

If School A is willing to pay a coach $1m who am I to say they can't?

If School B wants to pay their students, who am I to say they can't?

It's a free world, and I am just as free to watch or not watch. If enough people stop watching, the economic pressure may cause things to change.

Every dollar you spend is one more vote for that product/ service to survive. The purchasers carry the guilt, not the sellers.

If you actually watched the documentary Schooled, you'd see that yes, they are forced to go through the NCAA to get to the NFL and NBA. Only 2 or 3 players in the past 6 or 7 years made it to the NFL and NBA combined that didn't go to an NCAA school.

Now you have players saying they wouldn't have declared early if they were paid, would,have gotten their degrees.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

People dumping on Mike Ford don't have a clue. Not meeting full potential does not equal bust. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you wouldn't take that backfield of Mike Ford and Richard Kelly over anything we've had since. That was a friggin battering ram.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

I say we partition athletics from public institutions, all together. Colleges can run athletics as a separate business (barred from using public or student money to finance these programs). This way, 'the business' can pay athletes whatever they want... scholarships, stipends, salaries, etc...

That happens, then I and a lot of other people will simply stop watching.I watch USF sports because they're fellow students and will someday be fellow alums.If there's no emotional attachment, there's no reason to watch.
So you are ok with coaches earning millions but players nothing? Makes no sense at all.

Nobody's twisting anybody else's arms, this is not slavery, they're freely entered-into agreements.

If School A is willing to pay a coach $1m who am I to say they can't?

If School B wants to pay their students, who am I to say they can't?

It's a free world, and I am just as free to watch or not watch. If enough people stop watching, the economic pressure may cause things to change.

Every dollar you spend is one more vote for that product/ service to survive. The purchasers carry the guilt, not the sellers.

If you actually watched the documentary Schooled, you'd see that yes, they are forced to go through the NCAA to get to the NFL and NBA. Only 2 or 3 players in the past 6 or 7 years made it to the NFL and NBA combined that didn't go to an NCAA school.

Now you have players saying they wouldn't have declared early if they were paid, would,have gotten their degrees.

BHHHAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!  Like a $5k per semester check is going to keep somebody from going pro and collecting several million dollars.  :roflmao: