• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Stan feeling the heat or is Athletics in damage control?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

July 2012

There is much work to be done at USF, obviously. The fans still need to come around, and Heath hasn't turned the tourney appearance into many highly touted recruits in either the 2012 or 2013 classes. But when you compare where South Florida was for much of its history, and you consider the league it plays in, and the frontier it is chasing, it's clear that what Heath started when he took over in 2007 is finally beginning to bear fruit. The Bulls aren't going to be competing for a national title anytime soon, but they're a college basketball entity now. That's major progress, in and of itself.

This was 18 months ago give it some time.  IT is easy to make a rash judgement after last nights game.  But are we really expected to be on the level of Louisville who is a Top 10 All time program for the last 30 years

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

July 2012

There is much work to be done at USF, obviously. The fans still need to come around, and Heath hasn't turned the tourney appearance into many highly touted recruits in either the 2012 or 2013 classes. But when you compare where South Florida was for much of its history, and you consider the league it plays in, and the frontier it is chasing, it's clear that what Heath started when he took over in 2007 is finally beginning to bear fruit. The Bulls aren't going to be competing for a national title anytime soon, but they're a college basketball entity now. That's major progress, in and of itself.

This was 18 months ago give it some time.  IT is easy to make a rash judgement after last nights game.  But are we really expected to be on the level of Louisville who is a Top 10 All time program for the last 30 years

while this has some merit, (not much)  need to look at it this way as well,  USF and Ville both played in the Metro, Conf USA, BE, AAC together,   Yes Ville had the 50 year head start but USF made up huge ground when they joined the first conference together, They moved UNILATERRLAY  from the Metro conference  to where they are today in the AAC. ( so even playing field)   Ville is the reigning Men's BB CHAMP, after 2 years in the Final 4. Their women also a final 4 team. Their football team has been to numerous BCS bowls( with wins), Their Baseball team has the WS appearances as well.  We have the mascot challenge.  Why has Ville been able to capitalize? Not because of the 30-50 year head start. but because they had an AD who put WINNING first and foremost, We had Doug Woolard.  Both benefited from the same conference money /affiliation and tv eyeballs  since 95 I believe. 

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'd let this top 25 class that he just brought in play out before you start calling for his head. With the addition of top shooter Troy Holston, this will be a good program in a couple years.

Remember how many freshman we are currently relying on. Most of our starters are very young.

Wasn't Holston at the game last night? What are the odds he still comes to USF after watching that debacle?

He already signed a LOI.

Very good odds!

Thx

jonpfl

DOH!

Alzheimer's strikes again...

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

July 2012

while this has some merit, (not much)  need to look at it this way as well,  USF and Ville both played in the Metro, Conf USA, BE, AAC together,   Yes Ville had the 50 year head start but USF made up huge ground when they joined the first conference together, They moved UNILATERRLAY  from the Metro conference  to where they are today in the AAC. ( so even playing field)   Ville is the reigning Men's BB CHAMP, after 2 years in the Final 4. Their women also a final 4 team. Their football team has been to numerous BCS bowls( with wins), Their Baseball team has the WS appearances as well.  We have the mascot challenge.  Why has Ville been able to capitalize? Not because of the 30-50 year head start. but because they had an AD who put WINNING first and foremost, We had Doug Woolard.  Both benefited from the same conference money /affiliation and tv eyeballs  since 95 I believe. 

This is about Stan not the whole program

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm grateful that Stan got us to the Big Dance two years ago, but I haven't really seen a change in his offfensive style of coaching since he's been here. Mind you, this is with the acquisition of two new assistant coaches with NBA coaching experience. Initially, I thought it was our lack of talent, but he's addressed this issue via Roccaforte's recruiting. He's got new assistants, so that can't be utilized as the excuse. He's got the Muma Center and a significantly upgraded Sun Dome, so that can't be an excuse any more. The only constant when you factor in all those variables is Stan Heath. I have yet to see a change in his style of coaching. If his style of offense requires better outside shooters, then he's recruited way too many hybrid guards and forwards that can't particularly knock down perimeter shots with consistency. This concerns me.

I wasn't expecting a victory against Louisville last night, but I did expect to see more competitiveness out of this squad. The offense is as inept as ever, and the players look like they can't defend the perimeter very well and lack hustle. The team looked like it gave up and seemed ambivalent to losing by so many points. I don't see that "USF-pride" from this basketball team. We're playing in a weaker conference than the Big East, and I'm seeing the same problems on the offensive side. What distinguishes this squad from 2012, is that this year's squad isn't playing lock-down defense. The lack of change, pride, whatever is the source for this lockeroom discontent that's been speculated about has got to go back to the man in charge--Stan Heath.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

HAS HE BEEN FIRED YET?  Is his seat getting hotter?   What are the risk for him moving forward  if he continues to stay and we keep on the path we are on. ( who would hire him after tonight's performance)?  He might become undesirable  TO OTHERS if he stays.

Regardless USF needs to cut the ties ASAP.

facepalm.jpg

That's what the  fans who stayed the whole game were doing during the 2nd half.    It was by far the ugliest game I think Ive seen in person.  Basics were not being done(inbounding the ball).  Team looks lost and like the quit.  Did you listen to Stans radio post game show, He basically called Victor Out saying that he needs to play 40 minutes not the slow starts ect...  Now Stan if Victor isn't playing hard for 40 minutes its YOUR job to sit him and put someone in who will.  See how easy that is(problem solved)

In that same interview, he said this team NEEDS VR to win this year. It's a **** tough situation and I'm actually looking forward to next year when the team's dynamics won't revolve around him.

Now Doug if you have a coach who underperforms( losses more games esp within the conference than he wins) you fire him.

HAS CWT BEEN FIRED YET?

CWT has another year to show improvement or he will be on the hot seat as well.  (Still bullieve and hope he will do that).

Stan is the Problem with the BB team.  The whole NCAA culture is a Gentlemen's Club. People get jobs based on name recognition and what circle they run in( Coach Holtz).  Its about smoozing and stroking peoples backs and being buddy buddy.   USF has to get in with the RIGHT CIRCLE.  We are getting the scraps and its reflective on the court and field.  Time to hold those in position or power( doing the hiring) responsible.  Judy has and does a great job with research, patents, growing the university , increasing the power of the school academically, but is failing on the Athletic side. She is a smart women and I think she can get it fixed. But she is about to make the most important hire (if not the most important hire) in her  career here at USF.  Come On Judy we are pulling for you!!!!  She let Doug slip by for too long and hopefully it wont cost her, her job as well in the end.   (Sometimes you have to cut people you like in order to save your own job and to do whats best for the BUSINESS(USF IS A HUGE Business).

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm on the fire Stan bandwagon. Our offense is constantly pitiful. The team has had 1 1/2 good seasons in 7 years.

Pay someone young to come in and clean house.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I want Shaka Smart

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I want Maxwell Smart.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

The chance of either of those 2 Smarts coming here are the same ....