• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Location, location... What if USF were located in Gainesville?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The city of Gainesville itself does not fill Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.  A lot of people travel from Tampa, Orlando, etc...

If the USF were in Gainesville, would we expect the majority of people to be driving 2, 3, or even 4 hours to get to a game on Saturday?  We can't get people to drive 1-2 hours or less to get to Ray Jay.

It's UF's tradition and winning that pack the stadium.  USF can achieve the same in Tampa, but needs to develop a culture of winning.  Can we do that with the relegation?  It'll be harder, but if we can keep getting better at recruiting and winning, anything is possible, but it's going to be a lot tougher than when we were in a BCS conference.

I see your points and agree, but just for the sake of being factual, Gainesville population is 126K and Ben Hill Griffin capacity is 89k

https://www.google.com/search?q=gainesville+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

https://www.google.com/search?q=gainesville+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#channel=fflb&q=ben+hill+griffin+capacity&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

That is exactly my point. 70% of the population of Gainesville doesn't go to the games. The majority are traveling in. They are also traveling in a lot further than our fans have to. Even driving from Orlando, Ray Jay is closer than Ben Hill by almost two hours

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

The city of Gainesville itself does not fill Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.  A lot of people travel from Tampa, Orlando, etc...

If the USF were in Gainesville, would we expect the majority of people to be driving 2, 3, or even 4 hours to get to a game on Saturday?  We can't get people to drive 1-2 hours or less to get to Ray Jay.

It's UF's tradition and winning that pack the stadium.  USF can achieve the same in Tampa, but needs to develop a culture of winning.  Can we do that with the relegation?  It'll be harder, but if we can keep getting better at recruiting and winning, anything is possible, but it's going to be a lot tougher than when we were in a BCS conference.

I see your points and agree, but just for the sake of being factual, Gainesville population is 126K and Ben Hill Griffin capacity is 89k

https://www.google.com/search?q=gainesville+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

https://www.google.com/search?q=gainesville+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#channel=fflb&q=ben+hill+griffin+capacity&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

That is exactly my point. 70% of the population of Gainesville doesn't go to the games. The majority are traveling in. They are also traveling in a lot further than our fans have to. Even driving from Orlando, Ray Jay is closer than Ben Hill by almost two hours

Really? I think its almost the exact same drive time. I've done both drives.

Where exactly do you think Gainesville is located?

Edited by Bullphin

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Gainesville is really off the beaten path and is a pain driving to for most Floridians...only about 300,000 people total live in Gainesville 'metro' area.  Tampa has over  3 million people in immediate area, and a fast growing alumni base...USF games are easy drive for so many USF alums and friends...USF Athletics just has to do a better job promoting interest in fan attendance, and USF grads, especially those living in Tampa Bay area, need to do a better job supporting USF sports teams.  It is difficult for most UF grads to get to UF games without a long drive...so many USF grads are right in Tampa area and getting to USF games is easy drive for them.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I lived in Orlando (Maitland to be specific) the season we played at UF.

From Maitland (a North Eastern Orlando suburb) it took me about 1:15 to maybe 1:30 to get to Ray Jay.  It easily took me 2:30 to 3:00 to get to Ben Hill.  Add onto that, it easily took another 1:00 or better once I got near the stadium because the traffic was horrendous in Gainesville.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I lived in Orlando (Maitland to be specific) the season we played at UF.

From Maitland (a North Eastern Orlando suburb) it took me about 1:15 to maybe 1:30 to get to Ray Jay.  It easily took me 2:30 to 3:00 to get to Ben Hill.  Add onto that, it easily took another 1:00 or better once I got near the stadium because the traffic was horrendous in Gainesville.

I can see the traffic thing, but we will have to agree to disagree. I'm in West Orange County... not that far from Maitland and It's 1:15 for me to get to Ray Jay and 1:20 or 1:30 for me to get to Ben Hill. Maybe you're in more of a hurry to get a USF home game than having to go to Gainesville :lol:

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

I have always said this, if USF switched spots with UT & had an OCS,  we would be one of the best from a location standpoint, no questions.......

UT played football in almost the same location as USF does today......so why would the campus location make a difference??

closer to a more established nicer neighborhood. U Tampa girls nightlife is South Tampa, area wasn't built to cater to that University but they can claim it. An On Campus Football Stadium on that River would be pretty nice

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf didnt market football to the community properly

usf didnt embrace local and regional football programs and high schools

usf didnt reach out tobusiness

all of the games should have been on local tv

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

usf didnt market football to the community properly

usf didnt embrace local and regional football programs and high schools

usf didnt reach out tobusiness

all of the games should have been on local tv

They hardly reach out to the donors and season ticket holders let alone the community,   Don't get me wrong there are a few great people at USF(John L. and Joe T.)  but there are not enough of them. We need more exposure and people like the two I mentioned.  We need someone to be hitting the local news and paper daily or evey other day Selling USF.  Hopefully when the new AD comes on board he will realize the importance of Marketing.

As for this thread,  Why not ask if we played on the moon,  LOL

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I have always said this, if USF switched spots with UT & had an OCS,  we would be one of the best from a location standpoint, no questions.......

UT played football in almost the same location as USF does today......so why would the campus location make a difference??

closer to a more established nicer neighborhood. U Tampa girls nightlife is South Tampa, area wasn't built to cater to that University but they can claim it. An On Campus Football Stadium on that River would be pretty nice

When the Spartans were playing football that neighborhood was the stomping ground for hookers, vagrant, drug addicts and plasma centers.    If UT was so successful then why did they drop football??  Ya think maybe the fact that they were losing hundreds of thousands of dollars was the reason?  Being a UCiFer, I guess that's above your pay grade.

Ahhh, those were the days. Used to be some good strip clubs in that neighborhood...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

We'd still have to compete with UF, FSU, Miami, UCF and others for fans.  We might attract more casual fans when we are winning out of sheer convenience, but losing has the same result we are seeing now.