• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

who will be usf's next men's basketball coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

At the least, Heath is certainly in that part of the spectrum where it should be questioned...it's his 7th year, right?

7th year. He's gotten "his guys", as people insist.

He recently brought in a promising class whose freshmen we see getting playing time. But the on floor product, even in 2011-12, the year of the Dance, does not evoke feelings of confidence that he's the right guy for the job.

I'd feel a hell of a lot better if I saw us losing to good teams while making free throws, displaying the ability to score without dunking, and some sort of thought based offense, and less standing around like fans watching the shot clock wind down. That may have been able to work in 2011-12, but that should not become the "South Florida way". It's not revolutionary, it's boring and self-defeating.

I'm on the fence. I think Stan is a great guy, but so is Woolard, but that doesn't cut it with me. More importantly, I think Stan can bring in more talent. I hope very much he gets that done in next two years or it may be hasta la vista, baby.

+1 (at least if I could do that in mobile I would)

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

No, sick, the big picture is that a lower-conference team upsetting a bigger-conference team in the NCAA tournament happens every single year and is the exact thing that makes the tournament exciting. That's the "madness" in March Madness. You're the one who doesn't get it. Looking at a single year and making a big deal about it is the exact definition of missing the bigger picture - I'm not sure anyone could come up with a better example if they tried.

I'm still waiting for when the USC AD said anything about FGCU and the Big East.

Not that low against that high is the big picture. It's akin to an fcs team beating a top fbs team, at least prior to this season. The difference you are talking about is akin to a non p5 team fbs beating a p5 team.

The USC AD was impressed enough to call him after last season. Who called Heafh after his tournament appearance? Do you think what FGCU did what they did with players of equal or better quality of USF's?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Enfield at FGCU - about $150K salary

Heath at USF - Over $1 million salary

No one is going to come calling...talk to Woolard about it.  He dispenses money like there is no tomorrow, makes him look genius.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I guess Kent State made it to the Elite 8 despite Heath.

That was 10 years ago, the guy has had one really successful season since then. Not saying he should be canned, but his seat deserves to

be warm

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Phil Jackson

Wouldn't that be nice. Instantly would make USF a basketball school once again.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475

This season is the first season I've started to question Heath's future with the team. But I'm not even close to saying he should be fired with a losing season this season. Losing seasons this year and next would probably get me there, but it's tough to say. I do know, I'd be thrilled with him getting to the NCAA tournament once every three years. It's going to take a lot more than one appearance in the past 20 years before I come to believe USF has some rightful place among the country's elite. But there has to be a point where Heath is out of chances, and he's a lot closer to that point than he was three years ago.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Anyone know the difference in USF and Arkansas as it relates to Heath?

Here, he's a sub .500 millionaire on indefinite hire.

There, he was fired after going 21-14 (82-71 overall) and enjoying his second consecutive invite to the NCAA Tournament.

Institutionalized dysfunction in USF Athletics may have claimed Stan Heath.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Enfield at FGCU - about $150K salary

Heath at USF - Over $1 million salary

No one is going to come calling...talk to Woolard about it.  He dispenses money like there is no tomorrow, makes him look genius.

That's why I said USF needs to look at their AD. If he can find an assit. coach to head their program and get them to the Sweet 16 in two years with less than stellar talent, maybe he can do it again for USF. Just have to be prepared when a well funded program like USC comes calling.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We play extremely slow, boring brand of basketball. On offense everybody is thinking too much.... No transition buckets...Nobody can create their own shots...horrible shooting ..nobody can penetrate the lane....Our offense is making defenses defend late into the shot clock and that's it.

Please open up the offense and let your players play.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475

Anyone know the difference in USF and Arkansas as it relates to Heath?

Here, he's a sub .500 millionaire on indefinite hire.

There, he was fired after going 21-14 (82-71 overall) and enjoying his second consecutive invite to the NCAA Tournament.

Institutionalized dysfunction in USF Athletics may have claimed Stan Heath.

Are you serious?

Arkansas had a history of winning. They were stupid to fire Heath when they did, but that explains their higher standards. Heath replaced a coach who went 389-169 and went to back-to-back title games, winning one. It's stupid to expect the same results at both schools, and if you don't expect that, then what is your point?

Seth Greenberg was barely over .500 (108-100), against weaker opposition. Paschal's winning percentage at USF was .444 - Heath's is .438. Robert McCullum was a loser who left an already bare cupboard pretty much totally dismantled. You have to go back to Lee Rose and his .606 winning percentage to find a USF coach who was really better than a .500 guy.

Edited by gobulls83