• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

USF has to stay competive with the AAC. UCF, SMU, Tulane, Houston, Cincy have or are contructing new OCS. Memphis is pushing to upgrade their football facility. Tulane and Houston could have used the NFL stadiums, but are opting to OCS. That tells you something. Hopefully, there will be something announced within the next few years regarding an OCS. 

If its good enough for Miami and Pitt...    USF needs to be competitive on the field. Period.

Both Pitt and Miami have terrible atmospheres at their NFL stadiums. Talk to many, and they hate it and would love to have and OCS. With the money that they are going to contiune to rack in with the new system. They will be fine. USF no longer has that luxury of being in a power conference. We are in a low and could be heading even lower as long as we are paying to rent out a RJS that will get about 12K. Don't forget that the Univ of Tampa shut their program down due to lack of interest. USF may get into that danger if we continue this downward spiral. It would not surprise me now the way the landscape has changed. 

LOL Miami has no room anywhere for an OCS that campus is small and surrounded by Coral Gables which has nazi like city ordinances.  The only location UMiami could have an OCS relatively close to their campus was the site of the old Orange Bowl, and the Marlins...well that story is history.  Believe me UMiami would love an OCS if their was room, especially since their cross town regional school competition, FIU, has one and all the room in the world to expand.  The money is their too to build such a thing, but again no room.  Thank you Urban Sprawl...

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The only thing I can see Miami doing is if some land pops up around where the Heat play, i.e. if a building or two comes down. I'm sure some of Miami's stuffy elite would love to see the downtown club district leveled and throw a new Orange Bowl in there that seats about 55-60K (and it would be fairly quiet except for 7-8 days a year, and they could have Ultra Music Festival's stages in it instead of the park perhaps, among other outdoor events). It wouldn't necessarily be full for all of the Miami games, but they could call it the Orange Bowl and relocate the smaller Miami bowl (that's going to be at Marlins Park next year) there...but may have to keep the actual Orange Bowl at Joe Robbie since it holds much more people which means more money.....granted, with the playoff system, the OB may be able to succeed with a ~60K capacity...Outback bowl holds ~65K and they were in the running for one of the playoff title games at one point so the capacity thing isn't as big of a deal, esp if it's smaller, they can charge much more based on the demand.

edit - and while Joe Robbie looks crappy on TV when no Canes fans show up, at least their team colors are similar so it doesn't look awkwardly pathetic like the Bucs/USF empties do. (Even Pitt can stand having yellow Steelers seats)

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I propose USF do everything it can to go 12-0 and win the national championship WHILE AT THE SAME TIME do everything it can to build an OCS. RJS is an excellent way to fill the gap, but not ultimately the solution. And the two concepts (winning, OCS) are not mutually exclusive, so please, no more of this "focus on performance on the field first" mumbo jumbo.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

LOL  ... it always cracks me up to see Bulls fan rag on Ray Jay.  It is a badass NFL stadium.  The Bucs were there first.  Say what you will about the Glazers, even say what you will about the pirate ship (Buc fans love the pirate ship and the cannons, for those that don't follow the Bucs) but as far as the stadium goes, WHEN USF gets their OCS, anything less amenities-wise and there will be many Bulls fans ******** and moaning about how uncomfortable the stadium is. 

Also, I guarantee those that were at the 2007 USF-WVU game weren't complaining about the stadium that night.  We just have to get back to that level of play and I'm sure some on here will change their tune about the "joke" of a stadium our Bulls play in. 

Coincidentally, I had lunch today at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Brandon and they've got the aerial stadium shot of that WVU game and I actually thought of this ridiculous argument and the haranguing about the OCS. The recent results on the field just fuel the fire for the ******** ... like THAT'S the missing ingredient for our future success.

IMO, it's pretty sad that some apparently need all the extra trappings to really enjoy Bulls football. Personally, I can't see the game experience improving that much for me , if at all, in an OCS. Right now, I've got a great, grass tailgating spot, surrounded by other Bulls fans with tents and flags waving, a couple of minutes walk to our gate, only costing $15. I'm not sure I'll be able to have all those at an OCS. Only advantage there is being a 5 minute drive compared to a 25 minute one. Once inside, I guess I must be different because I'm there, primarily, to watch the Bulls play football and I don't really give that much of a **** what the stadium itself looks like ... and with all that, I'm not against building the right kind of OCS, just think right now it should be pretty low on our list of priorities considering the landscape right now.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

With you on all points, Trip.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I remember going into a sports souvenir shop at CNN Center before that WVU game and the owner was a WVU alumni excited about the game, polite, but confident of a win. Of course, no USF apparel like, everywhere else up here. But that's how we got talking, I asked about USF stuff. Love to have seen his face during the game, lol.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I remember going into a sports souvenir shop at CNN Center before that WVU game and the owner was a WVU alumni excited about the game, polite, but confident of a win. Of course, no USF apparel like, everywhere else up here. But that's how we got talking, I asked about USF stuff. Love to have seen his face during the game, lol.

It's super hard to find ANYTHING USF-related here in the ATL area.  It's virtually nonexistent. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

IMO the OCS argument is moot. BUT, I'm sick of people using UM as an example of a university using an NFL stadium. UM doesn't have the room on their campus to build a stadium. So, please in the future stop using UM as an example. Their entire campus is only twice the size of our "athletic district".

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

IMO the OCS argument is moot. BUT, I'm sick of people using UM as an example of a university using an NFL stadium. UM doesn't have the room on their campus to build a stadium. So, please in the future stop using UM as an example. Their entire campus is only twice the size of our "athletic district".

UM is being used as an example to counter those that keep whining that you have to have an OCS to amount to anything in college football .... 5 MNC's beg to differ. Doesn't matter whether they COULD have one or not. They don't and have been successful.