• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Duke gives me hope

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--david-cutcliffe-has-buttoned-up-duke-on-verge-of-acc-title-game-213353667.html

Came across this today. I love this story and think it's very relevant to us. 

Duke had an abysmal program, and David Cutcliffe has come in and done all the right things to change the mentality, performance, and culture of the program. If you want some indication of what a culture change looks like (when it works), how long it might take, and what the results can be, this is a great read. 

TLDR:

Cutcliffe knew teams with more established reputations also had more established recruiting tracks. He had to build his own.

"I tell prospects, if you don't want to run and be pushed and conditioned, you don't need to come here,"

It's taken years to build minds, and the path has included some breakdowns.

The weak minds (and bodies) were gone

"I expected to win an ACC championship," says the redshirt senior. "He laid it out. He told me about the process, and what he was wanting and expecting to do."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

That would be wonderful if Duke can beat Carolina and the handle FSU in their championship game.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

We can only hope. Another school that has risen up is Bayor. Both Baylor's football and mens hoops teams were struggling. They went out and hired two good coaches to turn things around and now they are not looking back. I never thought Baylor would rise up in the BIG 12 like they have. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

With one win in the next two weeks, Duke will have its first ever 10 win season in Football.  I hope they do manage to upset FSU.  That would be a big boost to that program.  Never thought I'd see the day Duke had the potential to decide fates in the College Football world XD

Cutcliffe has done such a good job with that program.  Props to him and his staff on building a respectable winning team.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

With one win in the next two weeks, Duke will have its first ever 10 win season in Football.  I hope they do manage to upset FSU.  That would be a big boost to that program.  Never thought I'd see the day Duke had the potential to decide fates in the College Football world XD

Cutcliffe has done such a good job with that program.  Props to him and his staff on building a respectable winning team.

I dont see any way they can come close to beating FSU as long as their star QB is still playing. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

I dont see any way they can come close to beating FSU as long as their star QB is still playing.

It's a timing issue. If Duke was in this same spot last year, people would be giving them a chance to win the conference. Sooner or later the stars will align and they will pull it off.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,767
  • Days Won:  3

It's gonna be interesting to see how this develops. I'd like to see Duke make some headway in football, being that the last time they were this good was '94 (8-3).

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

It's gonna be interesting to see how this develops. I'd like to see Duke make some headway in football, being that the last time they were this good was '94 (8-3).

It looks like the ACC is going to have 11 of its 14 teams bowl eligible this season. That's got to be a record for any conference.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

It looks like the ACC is going to have 11 of its 14 teams bowl eligible this season. That's got to be a record for any conference.

Sounds like a lot, but not really when you consider it only take 6 wins to become bowl eligible and most teams play 1-2 Patsies a year and most conferences have a few bottom feeders.   As of this week 69 teams are bowl eligible for 70 spots( 2 weeks remaining on the season) so some teams wont be bowling with 6 or more wins.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

http://espn.go.com/college-football/standings   

Shows all teams Bowl Eligible.