• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Taggart a bust?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

I also think it's too early to think about calling him a bust, but I can't believe you if you come on here and say you are not having some doubts about him.

Here's something to make you think...we are almost at the end of Taggert's first season.   Can you remember how you felt at the end of Holtz's first season?  Pretty good, huh?  We had just beaten Clemson in a bowl game.  Then look what happened in the next 2 years.  Based on history, we can't judge a coach on the first season of work.

Good point.

It takes more than one season. S'pose we'd asked if Holtz was a bust at the end of his first season. You'd be looked at like you sprouted three heads! A Bust? Are you insane...why this man just took our team to a bowl and we beat another BCS team from the ACC! Whooo hoo! Yeah, baby! But then...no one had any doubts about him, did they  ;)

Unfortunately....at this juncture, unless you're doling out miracles like Jesus of Nazareth, there are those who will consider him a bust. There are those

(who shall remain nameless) who honestly thought that by virtue of just replacing a coach that all our ills would be cured and once again we would be seated at the also-ran post season bowl table. Well, hopefully our ills will be cured but it's gonna take some time for the medicine to take effect.

One season ain't it and no, CWT is not a bust. We get to hand out labels when he leaves, either ridden out of town on a rail or picked up by another program.

Even George O'Liar went 0-11 if his first season with the Golden Butt Pirates, now they ae one game away from a BCS bowl

It's too early to apply a "bust" label, however there is nothing wrong with intermediate evaluation, which I hope Doug or one of his appointees is handling.   We can't bury our heads in the sand, cross our fingers and hope we finish 7-5 in 2015.  And if it doesn't pan out, go talk to Godfather Dungy and hire some other up and comer that meets his criteria.

Taggart needs time, but should also be showing prowess in recruiting, developing players, playcalling and managing the game among other things.  It's perfectly fine to have that discussion, but I'd hold off on the bust talk - too early.  Just look at what he walked into.  Arguably one of the worst programs in the country.

Would you say our program was arguably the laughingstock of college football???!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  0

All I am saying is try something else to ease of the 3rd and long. Smu was loading up the box to stop the run on first and second downs. How about a short slant pass on first down for a change? I was at the game on Saturday, and you can predict that the Bulls were going to run on every first down play. The Bulls running game have been shut down for the last 4 games now and he keeps calling running plays. I don't think he is a bust, but I think he is not adapting well to the talent they have now. I am not impressed with his half time adjustments either.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

It's too early to apply a "bust" label, however there is nothing wrong with intermediate evaluation, which I hope Doug or one of his appointees is handling. We can't bury our heads in the sand, cross our fingers and hope we finish 7-5 in 2015. And if it doesn't pan out, go talk to Godfather Dungy and hire some other up and comer that meets his criteria.

Taggart needs time, but should also be showing prowess in recruiting, developing players, playcalling and managing the game among other things. It's perfectly fine to have that discussion, but I'd hold off on the bust talk - too early. Just look at what he walked into. Arguably one of the worst programs in the country.

Would you say our program was arguably the laughingstock of college football???!

That's a question better suited for someone like Brett McMurphy.

I think we're more unthought of, irrelevent to college football, than a laughingstock.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

It's fun watching Todd Graham lead this ASU team.

8-5 in year one, 9-2 right now staring at the Rose Bowl.

With Dennis Ericksen's players in a dump of a facility and not in a recruiting hotbed.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Dennis Erickson is to Skip Holtz

WHAT

Bruce Springsteen is to Julian Lennon

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Not a bust, but...

I really did expect to see players improving execution and loads more discipline especially given the "blue collar" approach before the season. I'm pretty disappointed at the product, and a little disappointed that there only seems to be very minor adjustments to fit the current skill set. I get the "throw it all at them and get experience", but that's no way to build confidence, no way to help sell your seniors, and no way to build up a sagging fan base.

To the positives, though, he's taken the lumps like a man, clearly "owning" his product. He's rotated the best position players in, and he HAS at least made some adjustments during the game that make me think he sees some of the weaknesses and tried to shore them up. He's tried to win games vs just letting it go, and he's leveraging his local familiarity pretty well with high schools so far (recruiting).

I give him another two years before a real judgment. I'm reaaaallly hoping to see some improvements game 1 next year, though!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

give him some time…no one could win with this team.  he'll turn it around in the next couple of years.

give him some time…no one could win with this team.  he'll turn it around in the next couple of years.

Needed a good bump.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

He is fielding a team on which the talent lies primarily in the true Freshmen. He is installing one of the most complex offenses in CFB. He is weeding out all of the little negative nancies on the team. He is installing an offense that has gone 44-7 for the last 4 years at Stanford and has beaten 5 ranked teams this year. He has to load the pipeline. Everyone thought Stanford would stumble when Luck left, yet it only got better.Patience, children.