• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

All it takes is one transformation player to turn a program around

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

All it takes is one transformational player to totally turn around a program, sometimes forever.

Baylor was a laughingstock, worthless, horrible program.  They were in danger of dropping to CUSA if the B12 had broken up.  RG3 shows up and probably changes their fortune for decades to come.

Louisville was a dumpster fire under Kragthorpe.  I know Strong gets a lot of credit here, but he doesn't turn around the program to the level it's at now without Bridgewater.  If he has an Eveld at QB, there just a run of the mill AAC team stuck in the AAC with no ACC invite coming.  Teddy "Ballgame" Bridgewater helped get them to the ACC.

There are many other examples.  All it takes is one special player.

Is Mike White that guy?  We shall soon see.  No pressure, Mike.  If not, is Quinton Flowers that guy?

One guy can change USF's fortunes forever. 

No.  One player can make a significant difference.  But one player isn't going to turn a crap team into a Top 10 team.

To imply that Louisville is only good because of Bridgewater is an insult to the rest of the players on that team.  And there is a boatload of talent on that team.  They have a RB that was MVP of the National Championship game and he is currently the third string running back.  You are trying to tell me those running backs are only good because of Teddy.  That dog don't hunt.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  111
  • Days Won:  0

When we got left out of the Big 12 after the SWC merged with the Big 8, after winning CUSA our first year, we became a losing program by not going to a bowl gae for 10+ years and even went 0-11 twice. In comes a high school coach and former UH player/alum named Art Briles who gets a guy named Kevin Kolb to flip from Ok State to UH and we began to rise up again. Briles leaves for Baylor and takes a UH commit who happens to go by RG3 with him and we're scrambling for a new coach.

We then decide to hire an Oklahoma Sooner assistant named Kevin Sumlin who takes an inherited team and searches for a qb to replace Kolb. Amongst the upperclassmen, there was an undersized freshman quarterback named Case Keenum, he began to rotate with the older guys eventually won the job fulltime and the rest is history.

So yes, I agree that it's the quarterback but also the head coach.

Hell, you guys saw firsthand how fast USF rose with Grothe under center and Leavitt calling the plays.

Edited by cougar king

When we got left out of the Big 12 after the SWC merged with the Big 8, after winning CUSA our first year, we became a losing progra and went 0-11 twice. In coes Art Briles who gets a guy named Kevin Kolb to flip from Ok State to UH and we began to rise up again. Briles leaves for Baylor and takes a UH commit who happens to go by RG3 to Baylor with him and we're scrambling for a new coach.

We then decide to hire an Oklahoma Sooner assistant named Kevin Sumlin who takes an inherited team and searches for a qb to replace Kolb. Amongst the upperclassmen, there was an undersized freshman quarterback named Case Keenum, he began to rotate with the older guys and eventually won the job fulltime and the rest is history.

Hell, you guys saw firsthand how fast USF rose with Grothe under center and Leavitt calling the plays.

Leavitt is a defensive coach, he never called plays on offense.  But USF had the other elements in place aside from QB.  With the current group of receivers Grothe wouldn't have looked nearly as impressive.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

5 easy steps to fix our offense ...

Better play calling

Better execution

Better protection

Better qb play

Better receiving

In all seriousness, there is only one way to fix this team, and that is recruiting ...

I would disagree, but it depends on your definition of fix.

First of all, USF has NEVER had one of the top offenses in the country.  USF has often had one of the top defenses in the county.  

To "fix" this offense doesn't mean getting to the level of Louisville.  If that is your goal, yes it all about the recruiting.

If the goal is to become mediocre like our offenses of the past, I think that can be accomplished with the current players improving, personnel changes and better playcalling.  I believe now that Taggart expects to get the offense to mediocre before the end of the season.

The defense is already better than mediocre, their goal should be to good by the end of the season and to climb into the Top 25 defensively by next year.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I partially agree with the OP in that a great QB like Bridgewater can make those around him better.  However, we as USF fans know that a good QB can disguise what really is a bad team - look what we've become with BJ hurt or graduated.  

At this point, I would gladly take either scenario.  I like W's!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

All it takes is one transformational player to totally turn around a program, sometimes forever.

Baylor was a laughingstock, worthless, horrible program.  They were in danger of dropping to CUSA if the B12 had broken up.  RG3 shows up and probably changes their fortune for decades to come.

Louisville was a dumpster fire under Kragthorpe.  I know Strong gets a lot of credit here, but he doesn't turn around the program to the level it's at now without Bridgewater.  If he has an Eveld at QB, there just a run of the mill AAC team stuck in the AAC with no ACC invite coming.  Teddy "Ballgame" Bridgewater helped get them to the ACC.

There are many other examples.  All it takes is one special player.

Is Mike White that guy?  We shall soon see.  No pressure, Mike.  If not, is Quinton Flowers that guy?

One guy can change USF's fortunes forever. 

Baylor and Louisville have some great fanbases. I think it all starts with the fanbase. If the money is coming into the program, and you're able to land an AD and head coach that can really work with that cash, everything else falls into place.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

When we got left out of the Big 12 after the SWC merged with the Big 8, after winning CUSA our first year, we became a losing program by not going to a bowl gae for 10+ years and even went 0-11 twice.

We only went 0-11 once, in 2001.  Every other season after the break up of the SWC was at least 3-8. 

And the bowl drought was 6 years, from 1997-2002 unless you're not counting consecutive years and counting all years from 1997-2012.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

When we got left out of the Big 12 after the SWC merged with the Big 8, after winning CUSA our first year, we became a losing progra and went 0-11 twice. In coes Art Briles who gets a guy named Kevin Kolb to flip from Ok State to UH and we began to rise up again. Briles leaves for Baylor and takes a UH commit who happens to go by RG3 to Baylor with him and we're scrambling for a new coach.

We then decide to hire an Oklahoma Sooner assistant named Kevin Sumlin who takes an inherited team and searches for a qb to replace Kolb. Amongst the upperclassmen, there was an undersized freshman quarterback named Case Keenum, he began to rotate with the older guys and eventually won the job fulltime and the rest is history.

Leavitt is a defensive coach, he never called plays on offense.  But USF had the other elements in place aside from QB.  With the current group of receivers Grothe wouldn't have looked nearly as impressive.

I agree to an extent. Grothe made it happen with his legs though. SJ Green, Hester, Jackson, Edwards, etc were no better than most of the guys we have now. Ean Randolph, Taurus Johnson, and Carlton Mitchell were probably better, but, they all for the most part were heavy contributors for 1-2 years max. I think Mitchell played as a true freshman with Grothe and he wasn't very good (dropped game winning TD vs Cincy after fighting to get back in that game).

Point being, Andre Davis is most likely better individually than any of our top receivers from when Grothe was here.

A good QB elevates the play of their receivers. Once confidence starts building, guys start focusing more and taking more personal responsibility for drops even if a ball is not placed perfectly.

When we got left out of the Big 12 after the SWC merged with the Big 8, after winning CUSA our first year, we became a losing program by not going to a bowl gae for 10+ years and even went 0-11 twice.

We only went 0-11 once, in 2001.  Every other season after the break up of the SWC was at least 3-8. 

And the bowl drought was 6 years, from 1997-2002 unless you're not counting consecutive years and counting all years from 1997-2012.

Would you guys mind disagreeing on your own message board.  We have enough dissension on our own without including your arguments also.  :)

Edited by ShadowBull