• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White is starting against Houston

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

And the dropped passes? Weak o line? Is that the qbs fault? I hate the move but I'm not the coach

you can deflect blame all you want but when your top 2 QBs have completion percentages below 42% and turnovers galore then I'm guessing it's on them.

all teams have dropped passes. if your QB can't get the ball out in under 3 seconds then you can't blame the o-line for giving up a sack. we sacked and pressured bridgewater all day. didn't seem to slow him down.

insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting differenrt results.

You mean like calling offensive plays that require more than a 3 step drop and expect the protection to last?  I know CWT has his "system" but he really is getting kids beat up calling the plays that he does. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

Taggart announced in his post game radio show after being questioned by Louk & Robinson that White would start at Houston.  So what happens when the 4th QB of the year doesn't lead us to any offensive TD's.  Will people on here finally admit that it is the dropped passes and lack of pass protection that are getting these kids beat up?  I hope we put up 40 vs. Houston but really don't think that will happen.

what happens if our completion percentage goes up by 20% ? why are people so afraid to let a freshman play and why don't they think he can be successful.

he is 1 year younger then bench who is a true sophomore.

none of the other three have ever proven to be good passers. none of them had completion percentages higher than 55% in high school.

white is accurate. his completion percentage last year was nearly 70% with a 10:1 TD:int ratio.

all teams have dropped passes. leaky protection for the most part is due to QBs not being able to read and get the ball out in time. we average less than 3 sacks per game given up. let's not act like this is why our QBs barely have a 40% completion percentage.

I hope you are right.  But part of the reason there are only 3 sacks per game is because the QBs are running for their lives and throwing the ball away to avoid sacks.  I only wish the best for all of our players but IMO the QB play isn't the sole reason for us not scoring TDs.  Given time, I think Eveld throws a nice ball.  The team seems to move the ball better with Bench at QB even though is stats aren't wonderful.  Hopefully White will lead us to 40 v Houston.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

I have full confidence in Mike White. I wish they would have started him for the UCONN game to be honest with you. At least he is now getting a chance to prove what he can and will do. The kid is a leader to his team. That is an intangle that cant be taught. Watching him in High School reminded me of watching a leader like Grothe out there on the field.  A field general a la Tom Brady or Brett Favre. I have no doubt, USF will be fine in offense in the weeks to come. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Taggart announced in his post game radio show after being questioned by Louk & Robinson that White would start at Houston.  So what happens when the 4th QB of the year doesn't lead us to any offensive TD's.  Will people on here finally admit that it is the dropped passes and lack of pass protection that are getting these kids beat up?  I hope we put up 40 vs. Houston but really don't think that will happen.

what happens if our completion percentage goes up by 20% ? why are people so afraid to let a freshman play and why don't they think he can be successful.

he is 1 year younger then bench who is a true sophomore.

none of the other three have ever proven to be good passers. none of them had completion percentages higher than 55% in high school.

white is accurate. his completion percentage last year was nearly 70% with a 10:1 TD:int ratio.

all teams have dropped passes. leaky protection for the most part is due to QBs not being able to read and get the ball out in time. we average less than 3 sacks per game given up. let's not act like this is why our QBs barely have a 40% completion percentage.

I hope you are right.  But part of the reason there are only 3 sacks per game is because the QBs are running for their lives and throwing the ball away to avoid sacks.  I only wish the best for all of our players but IMO the QB play isn't the sole reason for us not scoring TDs.  Given time, I think Eveld throws a nice ball.  The team seems to move the ball better with Bench at QB even though is stats aren't wonderful.  Hopefully White will lead us to 40 v Houston.

we pressured bridewater just as much as they pressured us.

the guy kept his eyes downfield and had great footwork. none of our guys have shown that. Eveld's footwork is terrible and he seems to panic.

a QB must prove he can handle the pressure or he will be blitzed constantly. none of ours have shown they can handle it.

Eveld throws a nice ball given 5+ seconds. his delivery is slow. it can be timed with a sundial.

bench isn't terribly accurate.

I know it's not all their fault but put any of those three on a team like louisville and they would have trouble scoring. not expecting white to look like bridgewater but I do expect him to be more accurate. I think all of their histories prove that to be the case.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

I am confident the change will be good! I am looking forward to seeing what the kid can do at this level! If he ends up throwing more touchdown's for us than he does for the opponents then he is already an improvement!

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

The problems on offense are way bigger than the QB. We will not be able to tell if White or Bench will be the answer this season because they don't have a supporting cast worth a crap. Nobody is making a play for these QB's and it's unfair to judge them based on stats.

Bench's INT yesterday was him trying to make a play because nobody else was. You don't pull a QB on a struggling team based on a single INT. If that was the case Favre would have never made it past his first season in Green Bay.

Playing QB is about making plays and taking risks and when your down by 3 touchdowns you need to take more risks. Pointless to punish any QB that throws a INT here or there, especially when they are so green.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Mike White's High School stats vs. John O'Korn - match up Thursday night

White: 

176 256 .68 2,201 22 2 

O'Korn

157 280 .56 2,552 22 4

Edited by atl86bull

The problems on offense are way bigger than the QB. We will not be able to tell if White or Bench will be the answer this season because they don't have a supporting cast worth a crap. Nobody is making a play for these QB's and it's unfair to judge them based on stats.

Bench's INT yesterday was him trying to make a play because nobody else was. You don't pull a QB on a struggling team based on a single INT. If that was the case Favre would have never made it past his first season in Green Bay.

Playing QB is about making plays and taking risks and when your down by 3 touchdowns you need to take more risks. Pointless to punish any QB that throws a INT here or there, especially when they are so green.

the primary problem on offense is the QB.

not sure he is being pulled for one INT.

he had plenty of reps to make his case. the guy has a 40% completion percentage and more picks then TDs. time to see what White can do.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

he had plenty of reps to make his case. the guy has a 40% completion percentage and more picks then TDs. time to see what White can do.

You do know that a QB can only do so much with what he is given right?

A bad OL makes him force throws, bad passes do to no time and throw away passes hurting completion %.

Bad WR's drop passes which hurt completion %. Don't run good routes and make balls look poorly thrown. Don't get separation which causes a throw into traffic or a throw away, both of which risk a turnover or hurt completion %.

A QB is only as good as his OL or WR's allow him to be and currently they are allowing our QB's to suck balls.

You do know that a QB can only do so much with what he is given right?

A bad OL makes him force throws, bad passes do to no time and throw away passes hurting completion %.

Bad WR's drop passes which hurt completion %. Don't run good routes and make balls look poorly thrown. Don't get separation which causes a throw into traffic or a throw away, both of which risk a turnover or hurt completion %.

A QB is only as good as his OL or WR's allow him to be and currently they are allowing our QB's to suck balls.

I do know that an offense can only do so much with the QB running it.

Bench ran the option in high school. his coach was quoted as saying they might go 2 games without throwing a pass. He then transfered his senior year and ran a more pass heavy offense where he threw for a whopping 11 TDs and 1000 yards. He wasn't very accurate in high school either.

maybe you should consider the fact that o-lines can't hold blocks for 10 seconds, receivers don't drop 25% of the passes thrown to them, and an offense is only as good as the QB running it.

I can't believe you would think that ALL of our receivers are so bad that this is why Bench has a completion percentage at 40%