• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

To answer the question... I don't think that Taggart can win with USF and I think we should had gone with another coaching candidate.

You must have Biff Tannen's Sports Almanac to know this. How's ol' Doc Emmett Brown doing?

He was also sure BJ was the reason for our failures the last couple years.

The almanac probably doesn't get into specifics like that.  I think it's just scores.  

The almanac only goes to 2000 anyway...

Well, that one does, yeah.  I would assume another one was made after 2050, though.   B)

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

MIke Phillips - Hall of Fame quote "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop,"

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

I think people are banking on the fact that this guy can recruit and his ties to the Harbaughs will translate to winning, but I don't see his offensive scheme working at a mid-level football program. Even if he gets the recruits I don't think his scheme will work. I hope USF can move on quickly if it doesn't work out.

completely agree.

It's really hard for me to believe he took over a team of player who cannot beat McNeese St and FAU. There are several draft picks on this team, it just doesn't add up for me.

He took over a terrible team but that terrible team has more talent than McNeese State and FAU. Taggart has shown thus far that he cannot coach football. Hopefully he changes that the rest of this season. I won't be holding my breath though,....

I will wait until this season finishes and how next season goes to see if he can win at this level. I believe he can. He has been around winners and he has the right mind set. He knows what the problems are and he is not afraid to confront them. He brought a new system in with our current players so you are going to see this look like a trainwreck at first. He has the running game working well with Shaw. Now we just need to give our QB more pass protection. That has been our killer and the turnovers too dont help.  I dont think we are looking at 0-12. I expect us to be 2-2 right now with loses to Miami and MICH ST. The FAU and McNeese ST games are puzzling to all of us. Let's see if he can right this ship this year and beat Memphis, SMU, Temple, UCONN. All are winnable games. Once these players start buying into this offense and learn it then we will be more of a football program. 

Buying into the offense... the absolute worst line coaches use as well as fans. You think that the players aren't bought in? They are football players! They do as the coach says and as the play says regardless if they like the offense or not because if they don't they wouldn't be on the field. The offense is not going to work against good teams and it isn't even working against McNeese State and FAU (I'll chalk that up to awful oline and QB play) but big time programs such as Miami like they did last week will embarrass us trying to run this crap. 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Yes, Fire Judy because the football team is doing poorly "sarcasm". USF, as a University, is continuing to grow. AD? I'm not qualified to make that assessment. I enjoy the time I spend tailgating with friends that are like family to us now, winning only makes those days better; either way we enjoy FB season.

Willie is my guy. This season is lost but I want to give him three years just like we gave Holtz. Its hard to be patient, but we have no other choice.

Why is he your guy? I want to look forward to next season but I am having trouble.

Here is what I like about Taggart-

1) He was an athlete, and a **** good one. He BEAT USF as a quarterback of Western Kentucky in 1998. Yea that was 15 years ago, but it still happened. I was at that game. Players need someone they can respect. Taggart is a respectable man, he has the past experience to earn that respect, and he still looks like he's in **** good physical shape right now. He's not some 280 pound overweight coach, he still looks like he can wear pads and knock helmets.

2) He's from Bradenton, and he's not stranger to Florida culture. We all know the state of Florida is a hot bed of talent, the fact that he went to high school 30 minutes from our main campus certainly gives him an edge to this area. He talks like Florida people talk.

3) Look at his history -

Western Kentucky lost 20 STRAIGHT games before he came in as coach. You think life sucks as a USF fan when you're 0 and 4? Western Kentucky lost TWENTY (yes, 20) straight games before he took over. 

WKU 2007 - 5 wins, 7 losses

WKU 2008 - 2 wins, 10 losses

WKU 2009 - 0 wins, 12 losses

WKU 2010 - 2 wins 10 losses (Taggarts First Year)

WKU 2011 - 7 wins, 5 losses (Taggarts Second Year)

WKU 2012 - 7 wins, 6 losses (Taggarts Third Year)  

2012 WKU was invited to the Papa John's Bowl, and lost to Central Michigan 21 to 24. See his stats for yourself-

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/WesternKentuckyHilltoppers.asp

Right now, USF is playing WKU's 2008/2009 Season. Just like history proved, our 2014 season will most likely be like WKU's 2010 season, our 2015 season will be like WKU's 2011 season, and our 2016 season will be like WKU's 2012 season.

Taggart is ABSOLUTELY the right man for this job. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop, and I'm not saying that's the quality of our players, but our program is in shambles after the "Holtz New Era". 

Give this man some breathing room, he has the tools, the field knowledge and the commitment to turning programs around. He already did it to a team that lost 20 straight games, and he took them from 20 straight losses to a bowl where they lost by a field goal.

Show some support, and give this man some breathing room so he can work. Taggart is not going to build the "rugby" style offense that allowed us to squeak by teams in the past. That whole "have the quarterback scramble for 200 yards a game, then panic when he gets hurt" offense is not how you build a succesful program. Yea it's winning... till 80% of your offense gets injured. 

Just let him do his thing, we're in the suck right now, and there is no better person than Taggart to pull us out of it. He's been here before, he's got ties to this area so he's not going to dodge out and leave us. He'll fix us up

You make some really good points.. HOWEVER, I think you're a little off. The man is an unbelievable recruiter. He got kids that had no business going to Western Kentucky to Western Kentucky. He has kids wanting to go to USF after what has transpired over the last 4 years to commit to USF over huge huge programs that make you scratch your head why they would choose us over Miami or FSU etc. 

If you can simply get better players and more talent on the field, regardless of what kind of coach you are when you're playing Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State, North Texas, FIU, and Luisiana Lafayette you're going to win some football games. With that being said, I am not saying AAC is anything to write home about because compared to the Big East its an absolute tragedy of a conference but if you can't COACH you're not going to beat teams in our conference. He has shown absolutely NOTHING to fans and our school that he is a "good coach". He couldn't even put together a game plan to compete with Mcneese State and FAU.

He has the running game going and that's it. But we run the ball 30+ times a game with 2 and 3 TE sets of course we're going to see some kind of success running the football lol. And that's to take nothing away from Shaw, he is awesome. Seeing him do this just shows you even more how INCOMPETENT of a coach Skip Holtz is that Shaw has been sitting on our sidelines the last few years. 

I don't think he can coach X's and O's good enough to take USF football to where fans want to go. At least he'll leave our program with talent because he is a hell of a recruiter compared to where Holtz left it....

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

I would be a little more excited about CWT had he at least beaten the cream puffs on our schedule (namely, McNeese St and FAU). I knew this would be a down year but I expected those to be wins. In short, I don't think it's unreasonable to expects wins against those teams, even in a rebuilding year and even with questionable talent.

That said, he gets at least three years. The damage is done. I sincerely hope he rights the ship because if he can't we may be in for a decade of bad football.

McNeese has more talent then us...go take a look at their roster my friend. FAU is probably on par with us right now and we had that game, if not for some untimely turnovers I think we actually pull that win out. We are moving in the right direction that is all we can hope for at this point. Coach T is giving his all to win here. I could only imagine what it must feel like to want to win so bad at your home University and just don't have the horses to compete week in and week out.

This may all be true.  But the perception (rightly or wrongly) is that USF should easily handle teams like McNeese State and FAU.  Just like we believed we should have rolled Ball State and Temple last year.  When USF performs below expectations, people on this board get angry and want to fire everyone.  My only point is that these two losses to McNeese State and FAU were the reason why many have already lost faith in CWT.  We knew it would be bad, but not THIS bad.  Had USF beaten these two teams but lost to everyone else in competitive games, I think people would have been a little more understanding.  Disappointed, certainly, but a little more understanding that this is a rebuilding year.  

I would be a little more excited about CWT had he at least beaten the cream puffs on our schedule (namely, McNeese St and FAU). I knew this would be a down year but I expected those to be wins. In short, I don't think it's unreasonable to expects wins against those teams, even in a rebuilding year and even with questionable talent.

That said, he gets at least three years. The damage is done. I sincerely hope he rights the ship because if he can't we may be in for a decade of bad football.

McNeese has more talent then us...go take a look at their roster my friend. FAU is probably on par with us right now and we had that game, if not for some untimely turnovers I think we actually pull that win out. We are moving in the right direction that is all we can hope for at this point. Coach T is giving his all to win here. I could only imagine what it must feel like to want to win so bad at your home University and just don't have the horses to compete week in and week out.

We're moving in the right direction..?

Lol I mean other than getting rid of Skip Holtz which was definitely moving in the right direction what in the heck have we done this season that makes you think that?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think some of you realize just how much in shambles Skip left USF. He utterly destroyed the program. The program is now back to 1997 levels. He left the cupboard bare. There's not even a can of soup in the cupboard. It will take time for Willie to build things.

Heresy. There were enough soup mix packets in the cupboard to beat McNeese State and FAU - maybe we just didn't have water or broth.

At least that's what I was basically told after the first game, when I said the EXACT SAME THING.

Agree with GA...there were more than a few cans of soup, come on...