• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm say'n

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

The likelihood of us beating Miami is very low considering how we've started the season. That said, they're also not as good as most think. A couple things to consider:

1) Sure, they beat Florida, but the Gators really beat themselves with five turnovers and awful offense.

2) Stephen Morris' injury may be a factor.

3) This is this Miami team's first game in the spotlight. The pressure will be on to prove themselves.

4) Conversely, there's no pressure on us. Everyone thinks we suck so we have nothing to lose.

5) It's a noon kickoff which typically favors the home team.

6) We've beaten them before. Yes, they weren't as good then as they are now and we were better then than we are now; but still, we've beaten them.

7) They just came off a game where they annihilated an overmatched I-AA opponent. Many teams have a habit of a letdown after big romps.

8) Miami seems to be overly confident, which may be their worst enemy.

To win, we've got to limit our mistakes (i.e., no more giving up touchdowns on offense) and force them into mistakes with our defense. I'm optimistic we'll give them a fight.

1) The Gators are not as good as Miami it's as simple as that.

2) Even if Stephen Morris doesn't play (he will), they will run all over us with Duke Johnson (who is a STUD)

3) First game in the spotlight? This is the University of Miami not Miami University of Ohio. 

4) We do suck... although we do have nothing to lose that won't be our saving grace..

5) You're hanging your hat on a noon kick off? Lol alright..

6) A team full of Leavitt recruits beat Miami. This is a team full of Holtz's recruits that can't even beat FAU or McNeese State..

7) We are a borderline 1-AA team at this point

8) Miami should be overly confident playing against us

I think our Defense can put up a fight, but our offense certainly can't. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Those Holtz recruits almost beat L'ville @ L'ville last year.  Many of the guys playing on Sat v Miami were playing in that game. Losing BJ is was huge but a lot of these guys played well in that game.  Won't be shocked if we keep it relatively close.

But I also won't be shocked if they beat us by 40.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

As opposed to the Leavitt era when we lost 27 - 7 in 2005.  Seriously, people need to stop.  We had some crap losses under Leavitt too.  That's why people wanted him gone.  Some of our best wins were under Jim, but some horrendous losses as well.  Holtz wasn't the anti-Christ.  Leavitt wasn't the Messiah.  And we have no idea yet what Tags will turn out to be.

I don't consider the 27-7 loss a "crap loss". It was our first year as an AQ for Pete's sake. His 31-10 loss in 2009 was more of the "crap loss" variety. We should've demonstrated more competitiveness as a program; as we did in 2010-11 under Holtz... but before the wheels fell off in 2012.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Miami is a good team. We are not right now.

That being said Miami is over rated and we are under rated right now. This game could be close, but depends on turnovers.

We have a tough defense and a good running game. There is a lot of talk about there duke dude, but through three very similar opponents Shaw seems to be out performing him and that is with virtually no threat of a passing game.

We will probably run the ball a lot, they will try to throw it around on us. If this is the game that our d line puts it together Miami could be shocked.

We have as much talent on the d line as anyone. A little pressure changes many things.

I'm talking myself into believing, so it is probably time for some shut eye. I prefer to do my dreaming with my eyes closed!

Edited by BullTiger

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  93

Miami is a good team. We are not right now.

That being said Miami is over rated and we are under rated right now. This game could be close, but depends on turnovers.

We have a tough defense and a good running game. There is a lot of talk about there duke dude, but through three very similar opponents Shaw seems to be out performing him and that is with virtually no threat of a passing game.

We will probably run the ball a lot, they will try to throw it around on us. If this is the game that our d line puts it together Miami could be shocked.

We have as much talent on the d line as anyone. A little pressure changes many things.

I'm talking myself into believing, so it is probably time for some shut eye. I prefer to do my dreaming with my eyes closed!

I'm an eternal optimist but I wouldn't go as far to say we are "...under rated right now.".

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

I'm an eternal optimist but I wouldn't go as far to say we are "...under rated right now.".

I'm just saying that if you had told me in August that 3 weeks in we would have the 23rd ranked defense in total defense and that Shaw was averaging over 130 a game I would never believe that we were 0 - 3.

The numbers only support games lost by turnovers, big plays, and special teams. We are better than our record.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm just saying that if you had told me in August that 3 weeks in we would have the 23rd ranked defense in total defense and that Shaw was averaging over 130 a game I would never believe that we were 0 - 3.

The numbers only support games lost by turnovers, big plays, and special teams. We are better than our record.

No we aren't.

Ir defense has faced two of the worst offenses in the country. Lets see how we fare against Miami before puffing our chests.

This is a bad football team right now, we're rated correctly.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

No we aren't.

Ir defense has faced two of the worst offenses in the country. Lets see how we fare against Miami before puffing our chests.

This is a bad football team right now, we're rated correctly.

Was going to post something similar re: the level of competence of the offenses we've played.  If our 1st 3 opponents had been L'ville, Miami and Cinci my guess is we wouln't be at #23 in the country.

• Content Count:  1,370

lol at Miami's first game in the spotlight

the UF game, hello? 

Miami 48 

USF 14 

The "spotlight" wasn't on Miami in the game with UF; it was on UF. Now that Miami is ranked, the spotlight is on them to see if they're legit or not.

• Content Count:  1,370

The likelihood of us beating Miami is very low considering how we've started the season. That said, they're also not as good as most think. A couple things to consider:

1) Sure, they beat Florida, but the Gators really beat themselves with five turnovers and awful offense.

2) Stephen Morris' injury may be a factor.

3) This is this Miami team's first game in the spotlight. The pressure will be on to prove themselves.

4) Conversely, there's no pressure on us. Everyone thinks we suck so we have nothing to lose.

5) It's a noon kickoff which typically favors the home team.

6) We've beaten them before. Yes, they weren't as good then as they are now and we were better then than we are now; but still, we've beaten them.

7) They just came off a game where they annihilated an overmatched I-AA opponent. Many teams have a habit of a letdown after big romps.

8) Miami seems to be overly confident, which may be their worst enemy.

To win, we've got to limit our mistakes (i.e., no more giving up touchdowns on offense) and force them into mistakes with our defense. I'm optimistic we'll give them a fight.

I love the "UF gave them the game" logic. Do you not realize that four of the five turnovers were forced? When Driskell gets his spine snapped by a D-lineman who beat his man, that's not "beating themselves".

As for the spotlight, I hardly consider a noon game against an 0-3 team the "spotlight".

And Al Golden is the antithesis of overconfident. Not sure where that line is coming from.

Yes, they were forced errors on behalf of the Gators.

As I just recently said replying to another post, the spotlight is on Miami because you just recently became ranked again. Regardless of what team you play, people will want to see if you are legitimate or not. Hence, the spotlight and pressure that accompanies it.

I have a lot of respect for Golden and I think he'll return Miami to its past success. I don't think he is personally overconfident. That said, Al Golden isn't playing on the field. A coach can only do so much to keep his players from getting too big-headed. A lot of these guys haven't seen this much hype in Coral Gables in years. Case-in-point: Jim Leavitt wasn't personally overconfident but nonetheless he always tried to quell our overconfidence in previous seasons after we became ranked from hot starts. In 2007, we beat Auburn and WVU and annihilated UCF. CJL tried his damndest to keep the team in line, but the players' overconfidence did us in during the middle of the season.