• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The New, Improved Dumbgeon (Including Random Thoughts from around the site by UCF and UM fans)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Days Won:  0

USF is a better school academically and prestige wise.  Research wise we are kicking butt and hopefully can get into the AAU within the next decade.  Judy G gets a lot of flack, but she can get people to open their checkbooks.  

We have a bigger TV market than Orlando by around 350,000 TV homes according to Nielsen (http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf), which is about the same as adding an entire additional Waco market, the home of Baylor.  Of course I am biased, but I think we will over the long haul be better in most sports, including football, basketball, and baseball.  We hit the skids in football and basketball at probably the worst time possible.

As far as airports, Tampa's is great and studied as a model for airport designers around the world.  We also have St Pete/Clearwater just across the bay, so we also have two or more airports.  The Tampa Bay Area is easy to get to, and has enough hotels and a nice enough stadium to host Superbowls,  We have the beaches, and quite frankly I would think that most any tourist would rather stay on the beaches and drive an hour and a half to go to Disney World when they want to see Mickey.

Just about every time I have to go to Orlando, I ask myself who would want to live there.  I can't really imagine anybody who can make a choice picking the Orlando area over the Tampa Bay Area as a place to be. 

All that doesn't really matter, though, as far as the Big 12 expanding.  I would expect them to pick schools that will be the best for them in the long run.  I don't like it, but I think that means taking both USF and UCF.

Go Bulls!

Not happening. It's going to be UCF and Cincy if the Big 12 takes only 2. UConn and Memphis if they decide to take 4. USF isn't being noticed by anyone and rightfully so. Just give it a rest.

Edited by ekim111777
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

USF is a better school academically and prestige wise.  Research wise we are kicking butt and hopefully can get into the AAU within the next decade.  Judy G gets a lot of flack, but she can get people to open their checkbooks.  

We have a bigger TV market than Orlando by around 350,000 TV homes according to Nielsen (http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf), which is about the same as adding an entire additional Waco market, the home of Baylor.  Of course I am biased, but I think we will over the long haul be better in most sports, including football, basketball, and baseball.  We hit the skids in football and basketball at probably the worst time possible.

As far as airports, Tampa's is great and studied as a model for airport designers around the world.  We also have St Pete/Clearwater just across the bay, so we also have two or more airports.  The Tampa Bay Area is easy to get to, and has enough hotels and a nice enough stadium to host Superbowls,  We have the beaches, and quite frankly I would think that most any tourist would rather stay on the beaches and drive an hour and a half to go to Disney World when they want to see Mickey.

Just about every time I have to go to Orlando, I ask myself who would want to live there.  I can't really imagine anybody who can make a choice picking the Orlando area over the Tampa Bay Area as a place to be. 

All that doesn't really matter, though, as far as the Big 12 expanding.  I would expect them to pick schools that will be the best for them in the long run.  I don't like it, but I think that means taking both USF and UCF.

Go Bulls!

Temple is in a big market but if you don't carry it what does it matter? The Gators own the Tampa market. USF and UCF to different degrees in my opinion both have this problem.

And I already responded to the bold part but I'll add more...there is a big difference on where you want to spend college vs where you want to live long term.  Students from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville are not picking UCF bc of the crime rate in Pine Hills or MetroWest 30+ minutes from campus. It's bc the campus, the immediate campus area, programs offered, good nightlife, quality of life for an undergrad, and the overall college atmosphere at UCF. Have you ever been to FSU and driven more than 5 minutes away from the immediate vicinity of their campus and seen that mundane town? Yet it still doesn't stop all those students and recruits from wanting to attend there

UCF is now more popular in Orlando then UF and FSU.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Go Bulls!

Temple is in a big market but if you don't carry it what does it matter? The Gators own the Tampa market. USF and UCF to different degrees in my opinion both have this problem.

And I already responded to the bold part but I'll add more...there is a big difference on where you want to spend college vs where you want to live long term.  Students from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville are not picking UCF bc of the crime rate in Pine Hills or MetroWest 30+ minutes from campus. It's bc the campus, the immediate campus area, programs offered, good nightlife, quality of life for an undergrad, and the overall college atmosphere at UCF. Have you ever been to FSU and driven more than 5 minutes away from the immediate vicinity of their campus and seen that mundane town? Yet it still doesn't stop all those students and recruits from wanting to attend there

most polls have UCF 2nd in the Orlando market now which is an improvement. that's why I said different degrees

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Go Bulls!

Not happening. It's going to be UCF and Cincy if the Big 12 takes only 2. UConn and Memphis if they decide to take 4. USF isn't being noticed by anyone and rightfully so. Just give it a rest.

welcome back mike :baghead:

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Go Bulls!

Urine idiot

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

Why do you have a pic of a guy pissing on GOL, and him apparently enjoying it, as your avatar??

not a locker room guy?

If I was, I'd pick a girls locker room ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

I'm sure this has been discussed in other, more appropriate areas, and imagine credible evidence has been lacking .... but by all means, try and provide some ... and this is only because I'm trying to get this thread to 400 pages and you knoodleheads can help in that endeavor ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

How would a mythical rivalry with UCF help us?  Oh wait.  How about a mythical rivalry with UConn?

I'm sure this has been discussed in other, more appropriate areas, and imagine credible evidence has been lacking .... but by all means, try and provide some ... and this is only because I'm trying to get this thread to 400 pages and you knoodleheads can help in that endeavor ...

It was posted in the NY Times.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It was posted in the NY Times.

But the Wall Street Journal said USF is more popular than UCF in Orlando. You can believe me without a link, right?