• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Turnover-Minded Defense Determined to Make Plays

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Turnover-Minded Defense Determined to Make Plays

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA – Elkino Watson is known for his ability to stuff runners at the line of scrimmage but that didn’t stop him from taking a page out of the Deion Sanders handbook.

As the ball landed on the turf, the 6-foot-2, 286-pound defensive tackle scooped up a fumble in stride and rumbled his way to the end zone for a touchdown.

“He looked like a skill guy out there. He bent down with no hesitation, scooped it and scored. It was awesome to see,” head coach Willie Taggart said.

Taggart wants to see a lot more plays like that from a USF defense that’s out to create chaos on the field after collecting nine turnovers in 2012.

“Takeaways on defense come with a lot of effort. A lot of bad things happen for the offense when the defense is running to the football,” he said.

Rest of story at GoUSFBulls.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I don't want to see lineman trying to scoop and score. I want my lineman falling on fumbles. I even cringe a little when i see DB's trying to scoop and score

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

I want multiple defensive scores this year. Repeatedly. Anything less is unacceptable to me. Time to rise up.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I don't want to see lineman trying to scoop and score. I want my lineman falling on fumbles. I even cringe a little when i see DB's trying to scoop and score

That is too general and conservative a statement for this level of football.  Got to get the most out of everything.  

We have to coach up players to have the awareness of what their capabilities are with respect to where they and everyone else are on the field at the time.  What makes sense for Chandler at the LOS on a fumbled snap under center is not the same as what makes sense for Watson on an empty backfield, deep drop when Lynch knocks the ball out of the QB's hands. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I know, I know.

Then I think back to 2007 Rutgers game, and how different everything might have been had they simply fallen on the damned ball. Could have completely changed history.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I know, I know.

Then I think back to 2007 Rutgers game, and how different everything might have been had they simply fallen on the damned ball. Could have completely changed history.

But then we wouldn't have that extra proof that Big East refs really are the worst in football

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

What happened in that game was going to happen regardless. Not to utilize indisputable video evidence is a clear indication of what was to be.