• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

25 Most Important People in #USFBulls Sports History

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Mike, what's the case for Barbara Sparks McGlinchy? 

Also, I'd have to wonder a bit about Robin Roberts....MLB HOFer for sure, but I'm not sure of his making a difference.  What's his case?

Here is the tough part. I really wanted to put so many more names in the administrator area, and I only know of those from the past 16 years. Names like: Mike Lewis, Eric Soncrant, Jim Louk, John Gerdes, Phylis LaBaw, Barry Clements .. just to name a few. Many of those people did amazing things in mostly behind the scenes, often thankless jobs. They will lose out in the fan vote every time. And I'm sure there were many other greats before my time that belong as well.

Barbara sort of represented all of those, because in my opinion she would be on top of that list. So many years of service. So many years administrating sports, being USF's SWA. She was the #2 person in the department during the time when our department moved forward the greatest.

Robin Roberts brought a lot of notoriety to USF. In fact, I think the first I ever heard of USF was when I was a kid getting Robin's autograph when he charged $5 donation to USF Baseball for his signature. He is on the list for the same reason Jason Pierre-Paul is on my list, his name and affiliation with USF brought a lot of positive publicity to the school's athletic department.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Mike, what's the case for Barbara Sparks McGlinchy? 

Also, I'd have to wonder a bit about Robin Roberts....MLB HOFer for sure, but I'm not sure of his making a difference.  What's his case?

Here is the tough part. I really wanted to put so many more names in the administrator area, and I only know of those from the past 16 years. Names like: Mike Lewis, Eric Soncrant, Jim Louk, John Gerdes, Phylis LaBaw, Barry Clements .. just to name a few. Many of those people did amazing things in mostly behind the scenes, often thankless jobs. They will lose out in the fan vote every time. And I'm sure there were many other greats before my time that belong as well.

Barbara sort of represented all of those, because in my opinion she would be on top of that list. So many years of service. So many years administrating sports, being USF's SWA. She was the #2 person in the department during the time when our department moved forward the greatest.

Robin Roberts brought a lot of notoriety to USF. In fact, I think the first I ever heard of USF was when I was a kid getting Robin's autograph when he charged $5 donation to USF Baseball for his signature. He is on the list for the same reason Jason Pierre-Paul is on my list, his name and affiliation with USF brought a lot of positive publicity to the school's athletic department.

by the way ... don't read into the names I didn't mention on that list of administrators. There are plenty of people there currently who could end up on that list, but just haven't been there long enough to get a spot.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks,  I don't think we need to worry about those still contributing to the program, this list will live and grow with the program.

Thanks for your quick response to my questions.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

George Selvie, 2 time All American.

There's really 2 ways you can go with the list, more player oriented, or admin oriented. It's much harder to give players their due since they obviously have shorter tenures.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Agree with Selvie. Not so sure about JPP. His time here was so short and his overall contribution as an athlete while at USF limited.

I had Robin Roberts on my list as well. He was the first "big time" name and therefore first person with any drawing power for USF athletics. Brought USF its first conference title of any kind and first NCAA appearance for the baseball team.

In some ways, by virtue of his name and stature within the game, he provided credibility for USF baseball.

In my opinion, it was having Roberts and Lee Rose, that gave USF the foundation to compete on the big time national stage.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Can't do this list without Matt Grothe. He's still the best QB we ever had... and without him we never reach #2 or have some of the big wins we've had over the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Should be a minimum number of years they were a Bull...say at least two. Sorry JPP.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Why no Holtz?

"Ducks flying bottles at him"

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Should be a minimum number of years they were a Bull...say at least two. Sorry JPP.

Not trying to diminish the player he is, but his contributions to USF are limited. He only started 6 or 7 games. When talking about a top 50 list of all athletic contributors from all sports I think there are many others that are deserving.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Is smazza on the list? USF's most enigmatic fan?