• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Western Kentucky QB James Mauro Announces Transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Just throwing this out there. Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/qb-mauro-plans-to-transfer/article_66806116-0d2b-5a84-b40c-ab05a105ed6f.html

I believe this kid had to be recruited by Coach Willie T, no?

A former 2-Star guy out of Texas, he stands 6'6" or 6'7" and anywhere from 220 to 235 lbs.

In his statement he specifically thanked Coach Taggart and the former staff "for their support". He claims that “numerous D-I, Ivy League, top national Juco’s and great lower division programs†are interested in him.

I was just reading earlier today some reports on how the QB battle is going at WKU under Petrino. It seems Brandon Doughty entered the spring as kind of an after thought but he was the quickest to digest the new offense and it culminated in a 23 of 35 for 314 yard, 5 TD and 0 INT performance in the spring game. Doughty had previously been part of Coach Taggart's first recruiting class of 2010. He came from Davie, FL. He saw some action in a couple of games in 2011 but tore his ACL. He was a clipboard holder in 2012 behind Kewaun Jakes and James Mauro. Now he's the starter and so Mauro is leaving.

Here's what James Mauro did this year when called to action. He took over the Arkansas State game down 13-0 at halftime and led them to a come from behind victory.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

6'7 233lbs??? Kids playing the wrong sport, my word. Someone get that kid a basektball.

If we wind up being down to trying to get WKU's backup QB....man we are in BIG trouble. I'm sure he will have to sit out a year anyways, if he goes D1.

No doubt, he will have to sit a year. But I think it's meaningful that Coach Taggart recruited him.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Right now, any QB that we care about can't come with this statement: "he will have to sit a year."

It's like talking to a good-looking girl and then you hear, "my boyfriend." Everything after that just becomes, "blah, blah...."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Right now, any QB that we care about can't come with this statement: "he will have to sit a year."

It's like talking to a good-looking girl and then you hear, "my boyfriend." Everything after that just becomes, "blah, blah...."

:D. +1

Thing is, Floyd isn't Taggart's recruit. None of these guys are except Mike White. The process of CWT adding QB recruits that he actually believes in has only just started. I don't know why people are thinking, if he can't start right now then CWT should have no interest in him. He's still trying to populate his entire position with guys he likes. That isn't going to happen in just one or two recruiting seasons. James Mauro is a guy he likes. A guy he recruited. A guy he made his #2 behind Kewaun Jakes. A guy that led them to a come-from-behind victory against Arkansas State in his only significant action as a freshman.

I don't know why people would be thinking that all that matters is the here and now. Who do we have developing? Just Mike White? That's it? You're going to hang your future on a three star guy you know nothing about yet? A guy you had to settle for during a rushed recruiting process that CWT had to pick up halfway through, one where he had to continue trying to hook the big fish (AW) which may or may not have discouraged other big fish from nibbling the line?

I'm not saying James Mauro is a slam dunk but I bet CWT is at least considering it.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

Thing is, Floyd isn't Taggart's recruit. None of these guys are except Mike White. The process of CWT adding QB recruits that he actually believes in has only just started. I don't know why people are thinking, if he can't start right now then CWT should have no interest in him. He's still trying to populate his entire position with guys he likes. That isn't going to happen in just one or two recruiting seasons. James Mauro is a guy he likes. A guy he recruited. A guy he made his #2 behind Kewaun Jakes. A guy that led them to a come-from-behind victory against Arkansas State in his only significant action as a freshman.

I don't know why people would be thinking that all that matters is the here and now. Who do we have developing? Just Mike White? That's it? You're going to hang your future on a three star guy you know nothing about yet? A guy you had to settle for during a rushed recruiting process that CWT had to pick up halfway through, one where he had to continue trying to hook the big fish (AW) which may or may not have discouraged other big fish from nibbling the line?

I'm not saying James Mauro is a slam dunk but I bet CWT is at least considering it.

White was picked up the day of or the day immediately following CWT's signing ...

White was picked up the day of or the day immediately following CWT's signing ...

So then even Mike White wasn't really a CWT recruit?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So then even Mike White wasn't really a CWT recruit?

Most likely.  Although we don't realy know if Taggart was recruiting him for WKU.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

At this point, we're so desperate for pro-style QB's who know Coach T's system that I wouldn't be suprised if we take him if he wants to come here. He'd be what...a RS Junior at the point he could play? Depth is needed and CWT knows results are expected quickly. I suspect he will want to play right away though, most likely transferring to a DII or DIII school.