• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"preeminent university"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

What will happen once all the eggs are in two baskets and as our population continues to swell as Tallahassee keeps promising it will and we only have two schools the state cares about and therefore are funded adequately?

How will we accomplish Scott's goal of producing more STEM graduates? Via UF's new online BS degrees? Will Poly get preeminent status?

Nevermind, Poly will be given to UF in order to ensure their status.

What a f****ing joke this state and it's politics are.

Onlline Degree ...University of Phoenix...what a way to degrade your school...If I was a Gator I'd be calling and saying WTF.

Thank god USF doesn't let people use that **** inter webs to degrade our school!

My old roommate moved back to NY and finished his last 2 semesters online (summer/fall).

I'm quite aware USF offers distance learning.

http://uc.usf.edu/

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

In the OLD days  your senior year had to be on campus...as a resident...What kind of school spirit will there be for a alumni that has never set a foot on campus???

School spirit? Hell, half the state wears Gator shirts or have UF license plates wether they actually went to UF or not. Now, we get to see people who will claim, "I go to UF, I'm a Gator" for taking an online course in "Appreciation of UF Football" or something.

JTrue is right, it's all about the money. I will be really curious to see what the graduation rate for this new venture is. I really wonder as well if the courses will be made widely available to HS graduates who didn't graduate with 'scholar' degrees because they could not earn them for academic reasons and taking online courses will be a "great way" to get your foot in the door of a "preeminent university".

Also, and this may sound like sour grapes, how many Gator FB and BB players will be earning online degrees and never have to set foot in a classroom? I am sure they will be held to the highest and most honest and academic standards, won't they?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  12

With UF offering 100% online degrees, if I ever hear a Gator use "USF" and "commuter school" in the same sentence, I'm gonna smack the bbq-stained jorts off of them without hesitation. At least commuting implies being a part of the student body.

UF and FSU have age and roots on us. But as Bob Dylan said, the times they are a-changin'. Bull nation is growing and stampeding and won't be ignored forever. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

In the OLD days  your senior year had to be on campus...as a resident...What kind of school spirit will there be for a alumni that has never set a foot on campus???

School spirit? Hell, half the state wears Gator shirts or have UF license plates wether they actually went to UF or not. Now, we get to see people who will claim, "I go to UF, I'm a Gator" for taking an online course in "Appreciation of UF Football" or something.

JTrue is right, it's all about the money. I will be really curious to see what the graduation rate for this new venture is. I really wonder as well if the courses will be made widely available to HS graduates who didn't graduate with 'scholar' degrees because they could not earn them for academic reasons and taking online courses will be a "great way" to get your foot in the door of a "preeminent university".

Also, and this may sound like sour grapes, how many Gator FB and BB players will be earning online degrees and never have to set foot in a classroom? I am sure they will be held to the highest and most honest and academic standards, won't they?

Yeah lot of want to be Gators out there...sad ....It's one thing to be a alumni and an other to have taken classes but to only take classes on line to me is a new low...

When I started fo get my engineering degree I was required to wear a jacket and tie...preparation for being a professional engineer...how things have changed...

Edited by bull-71
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

The 12 criteria/excellence standards used to qualify for new preeminent university designation are listed in below link beginning at line 3385.  It's clear the 12 standards were selected specifically to exclude USF on purpose.  USF is big with medical research--standard (g) waters down and offsets USF's medical research accomplishments by requiring non medical sciences research over $150 million which USF probably doesn't do, but USF surely does over $200 million in research with medical being a big part of it.  USF's undergraduate graduating rate is well below 70% and needs improvement, but I still think USF's overall academic and research accomplishments make USF deserving of getting same preeminent university recognition AND $75 million as UF and FSU over next 5 years. 

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1076/BillText/er/PDF

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

The 12 criteria/excellence standards used to qualify for new preeminent university designation are listed in below link beginning at line 3385.  It's clear the 12 standards were selected specifically to exclude USF on purpose.  USF is big with medical research--standard (g) waters down and offsets USF's medical research accomplishments by requiring non medical sciences research over $150 million which USF probably doesn't do, but USF surely does over $200 million in research with medical being a big part of it.  USF's undergraduate graduating rate is well below 70% and needs improvement, but I still think USF's overall academic and research accomplishments make USF deserving of getting same preeminent university recognition AND $75 million as UF and FSU over next 5 years. 

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1076/BillText/er/PDF

Really, it's just so sad. The state has the ability to have a far-reaching network of excellent schools and they would rather piss it away over pride then think about the future. If anything, they should be dumping money into USF to establish a third, renowned and prestigious school in a state our size.

No one is saying what will happen when UF and FSU do jack-up their rates and fill to capacity. How is Florida supposed to be producing all of these graduates prepared for high-paying jobs if we squeeze the other schools dry and attempt to force all the 'scholars' through two well-connected and well-funded schools? Really, with as easy as they are trying to make it to graduate HS in Florida, you would think they would be gearing up all of the colleges, expecting an influx of these 'scholar' students.

If they really believe online bachelor's degrees are the future and the way to bestow the masses with a 'quality' degree earned at the preeminent university of a state that can't get it's priorities straight, eventually, all college graduates in Florida are going to be looked upon poorly.

We are being lied to about the goals and intentions of academic reform and all of us are going to pay the price for it.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863

******* Rick Scott.

I know its gonna get censored. But **** him to hell.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863

As I said on my facebook post about this,

I understand that USF's graduation rates are not the best (and UF, FSU have some pretty good numbers in comparison), and that our 6-year rate also needs to improve, but there is no reason why schools who meet X or Y amount of the criteria shouldn't get some type of stimulus.

There's 12 measures, right?  Set a smaller bonus for schools who meet at least 4 of the benchmarks, maybe another one for 8-9, and then a maximum stimulus for the schools who meet 11-12 (all or all but one) of the criteria.
UF and FSU still get the money they're looking at, but schools like USF who (according to a source in the Oracle's story on this topic) meet only "several" of the criteria would still get some kind of pat on the back for the good things they are doing.

A promise for more if they improve things like grad rates is just as good. Give schools a taste of the benefits and let them work for more.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

As I said on my facebook post about this,

I understand that USF's graduation rates are not the best (and UF, FSU have some pretty good numbers in comparison), and that our 6-year rate also needs to improve, but there is no reason why schools who meet X or Y amount of the criteria shouldn't get some type of stimulus.

There's 12 measures, right?  Set a smaller bonus for schools who meet at least 4 of the benchmarks, maybe another one for 8-9, and then a maximum stimulus for the schools who meet 11-12 (all or all but one) of the criteria. UF and FSU still get the money they're looking at, but schools like USF who (according to a source in the Oracle's story on this topic) meet only "several" of the criteria would still get some kind of pat on the back for the good things they are doing.

A promise for more if they improve things like grad rates is just as good. Give schools a taste of the benefits and let them work for more.

This only works if you're actually trying to ENcourage someone to try harder

What you don't get is that the legislature is trying to DIScourage everyone but UF and FSU from even trying at all

• Upvote 1