• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wichita St. & Greg Marshall & USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Wichita State took out #1 Gonzaga and Pitt.

Greg Marshall came pretty close to being a USF coach back in 2007. He came to USF but turned down the offer, from my recollection.

I'm curious if he could have done the job of rebuilding USF.

A big part of me says no, because of how tough the Big East has been. It's relentless and there's no time to build a program.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/wax

(2007–08) the team finished with a record of 11-20.

In his second season they posted a 17-17 record.

The following season (2009–2010), the Shockers went 25-10 culminating with an NIT tournament appearance.

In the 2010-11 season Wichita State culminated a season of 29-8, finishing second in the Missouri Valley to Missouri State, by an NIT championship, beating the University Of Alabama 66-57.

In the 2011-2012 season, winning the regular season MVC title at 16-2 (26-4 overall), the Shockers reached a ranking of #14 in the coaches poll and #15 in the AP poll. After losing to Illinois State in the Semi-finals of the MVC tourney in St Louis, the Shox were selected at large for the NCAA tournament as a 5 seed, their first NCAA tournament in 6 years. Bitten by the 12 vs 5 seed curse, they fell to VCU, 62-59, ending the season with a 27-6 record.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

pure speculation

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If I recall, most our fans wanted nothing to do with the guy.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Reportedly Marshall has turned Nebraska and NC State as well.

Imo USF would be in slightly better shape today had he been the head coach here. Although to Heath's credit he was the HC at Kent St when they made it to the Elite 8. Prior to this year, Marshall had only taken a team to the 2nd round of the NCAAT once(Winthrop) in his long career. On the other hand Brad Stevens has been doing an amazing job at Butler. It would be the best thing that could happen for USF athletics if he was to take over the men's basketball program this year or the next. It wouldn't be long before USF competes with or maybe surpasses Florida for the best basketball program in the deep south.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Marshall was afraid of the challenge of the USF BBall program.   I think Stan has done a better job then what Greg M would have but its hard to say.  But because he was afraid I'll say I'm glad he isn't here

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/23/Sports/Winthrop_coach__USF__.shtml

If I remember, he withdrew from consideration after this article was written. I don't know if that withdrawal was because he renewed to stay, didn't want the job or to save face after he realized he wasn't going to get it.

I also remember reports of him being offered the job and him turning it down ... not sure if those were true or not. Greg's article quotes Marshall saying it never happened, but I don't always believe coach's quotes when it comes to job searches.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Marshall was afraid of the challenge of the USF BBall program.   I think Stan has done a better job then what Greg M would have but its hard to say.  But because he was afraid I'll say I'm glad he isn't here

Based off of what? He didn't take the USF job?

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

exactly and then took a lower level job at wichita st.  OR do you think that is a step above USF?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

exactly and then took a lower level job at wichita st. OR do you think that is a step above USF?

Wichita is a better gig than USF.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

exactly and then took a lower level job at wichita st. OR do you think that is a step above USF?

Wichita is a better gig than USF.

your hate for USF borders on idiocy.

what makes wichita a better gig??

the fact that you can live in the beaming metropolis of wichita, kansas?

the fact that he earns 20% less than stan heath?

the fact that they play such power house conference members(and such desirable travel destinations) as northern iowa, evansville(ind),indian state, illinois state, missouri state?

I'm amazed at the lengths you go to put USF down. i get you're a gator through and through and it's unfortunate you weren't able to get in there but please stop with your nonsense. it truly does border on idiotic.

they may have had better success in their history of playing much weaker competition but saying that makes it a better job is like saying Pittsburg State football head coach is better job than Kansas head football coach just because they have had more success.