• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Less Money than Expected

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

interesting:

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN

Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN

If 2 teams from UConn, Cincy, Temple & UH leave; or 1 of those & 1 of remaining teams, new TV deal for former Big East can be terminated

So it appears USF is not as valuable to ESPN as UConn, Cincy,Temple, or Houston. That could be why USF hasn't received an invite to join the big-boy conferences.

Willie needs to get rid of the bus, and learn to pilot a jet!

They picked group A because they were the ones most likely to go to the ACC, at least in the case of Cincy and UConn, per McMurphy. So its the other way around, USF isn't in group A because insider talk doesn't have them going anywhere.
Yep.

I admit, this is worse than what I was originally thinking - I was holding out for a shot at a truncated ACC. With the aforementioned contingency plan for ESPN in place however, if we ever made it to the Atlantic Coast Conference, it would be, for the most part the same conference we are in now with a new name. If it is indeed these four teams before us, it's over.

Here are my thoughts. Feel free to rip apart and explain why my logic doesn't make sense.

UCONN and Cincy make sense. Decent markets with no exposure, a flagship school and better basketball than what the rest of us have to offer - except Temple, or maybe...Memphis.

Temple makes sense I guess for the basketball and (elite academics)?

Maybe also, the ACC knows it can't win the football arms race and isn't trying to compete with the B10 and SEC in football, maybe they are trying to compete with the C7 and everyone else in basketball. Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville - not bad.

They've got ESPN watching their backs for the most part and must know as long as they remain a conference, they won't be ignored or downplayed by the WWL.

Which leads to FSU potentially running for the exit. Who else then? Right now, I'm thinking Clemson, VT and someone else?

UH makes some sense if the tea leaves are saying only FSU might be leaving the ACC - leaving Miami. Maybe then the ACC would be satisfied with only one team and market in South Florida* and then would covet a team, exposure and carriage fees in Texas? Houston sure as hell isn't leaving this conference for the B12 or B10.

By the looks of it, we are a mid-major program for life. I just hope to hell the administration has a plan in place to make this down-shift as easy as a transition as possible.

Again, let me know where I am missing the mark on this. Thanks!

Agree with your post except for the highlighted part. No transition is needed. We've always been a mid-major at best in athletics.

I am not going to debate whether USF was ever an AQ-level program. But, it is almost certain USF will receive significant cuts in at least revenue.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

interesting:

Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave

A little more leverage in the negotiations over who get's the bulk of the exit fee windfall.The real threat is that if the new additions play hardball everyone will really want to leave. No impetus to stay  for USF,UConn and Cincy if they are stripped of future distributions.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

I will admit I am biased, and there is secret information (team financial evaluations) I am unaware of. But, I find it hard to believe USF is not even one of the better mid-majors. It was bad enough being told USF does not deserve AQ membership with the 65 (in the Power 5 Conferences) being included.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

So this is the ESPN contract now because it was in the NBC contract, according to what I read.

ESPN must have a huge grin because they got a sweet deal. NBC is R E T A R D E D. They could have at least made it fun like those storage bidding shows where the competition keeps bidding it really high just to raise the price or to drop it on the other bidder. But I guess our conglomeration of schools is not even worth that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Philly and Houston are very big cities.  Even if those schools don't get top billing at home, losing those markets from the conference hurts more than the I-4.  Everyone in this conference is separated by very little, however those TV sets make a difference.

It could be as simple as that .... UConn and Cincy for their branding .... Temple and Houston, I believe, are the two largest TV markets out of the rest.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The lower figure is due to the C7 leaving earlier than 2014. And for all you that want to go to the ACC, look at the NBC/ESPN contract. Expect the same details. So if  FSU leaves and whomever else that contract is going to be voided too and be replaced with one that plays a lot less. Running to the ACC doesn't mean that a crappy TV contract won't be the end result, again.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

The lower figure is due to the C7 leaving earlier than 2014. And for all you that want to go to the ACC, look at the NBC/ESPN contract. Expect the same details. So if  FSU leaves and whomever else that contract is going to be voided too and be replaced with one that plays a lot less. Running to the ACC doesn't mean that a crappy TV contract won't be the end result, again.

Unless every current team leaves the ACC before we'd join it, that contract would still be bigger than what we're getting now ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

tough times for the bulls

usf needs to win

if they fail in this conference they might as wellpack it in

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

usf needs to win

Tough times? That's absurd.

Did Women's basketball make the NCAA's?

Did we get a new football coaching staff?

Did we renovate the Sun Dome?

Did we build all kinds of new facilities?

Are we getting 20-million+ from the Big East purse?

I could go on all day! Really!

Stop going to condom university practices, Steve.

If you are truly a Bull, you'd know how far we've come since Bar Benders as the workout facility (just throwing that one in there for effect. don't in fact know if our athletes ever used bar benders!).

GO BULLS!

I think USF's future is AWESOME! ---We have things to earn and places to go. It's great!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

usf needs to win

Tough times? That's absurd.

Did Women's basketball make the NCAA's?

Did we get a new football coaching staff?

Did we renovate the Sun Dome?

Did we build all kinds of new facilities?

Are we getting 20-million+ from the Big East purse?

I could go on all day! Really!

Stop going to condom university practices, Steve.

If you are truly a Bull, you'd know how far we've come since Bar Benders as the workout facility (just throwing that one in there for effect. don't in fact know if our athletes ever used bar benders!).

GO BULLS!

I think USF's future is AWESOME! ---We have things to earn and places to go. It's great!

It IS tough times for USF, we are in an athletic conference with no name, we don't even know when, not if, but when our new conference is going to implode. We don't know who we will land with when the conference implodes. Women's basketball is a non revenue sport, yes it's great, but in the grand scheme of things $$ wise, it doesn't really mean anything. Yes, we have new facilities, how are we going to pay for all of the new facilities? I'm pretty sure that we were counting on more than $1.5M of TV revenue. We don't know how much we are going to get from the BE "purse". There is a battle over who gets what.

• Upvote 1