• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well, there goes the Belk Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Access to a national championship game is a "nice to have" but not a "must have"

What we "must have" is enough TV money to ensure we have a profitable operation that consistently:

1. brings in top-shelf recruits

2. wins games and puts butts in seats

3. gets donors involved in future growth

We do that - year in and year out - it doesn't matter whether we have access to the NC. The program is still a success

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I would like to see USF qualify for a bowl. And win it. Period. Can't do anything about what bowl it turns out to be.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,702
  • Days Won:  108

Access to a national championship game is a "nice to have" but not a "must have"

What we "must have" is enough TV money to ensure we have a profitable operation that consistently:

We do that - year in and year out - it doesn't matter whether we have access to the NC. The program is still a success

Go Bulls!

Right on point. Great post.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Go Bulls!

USF is not going to "bring in top-shelf recruits" in any meaningful number if it is not one of the schools with a realistic chance at a championship. USF is not going to have "enough money" to do anything if the television contract is for games that have no bearing on the title race.

What you are saying makes no sense. How many Sun Belt or Conference USA teams in the past decade have had all this financial success you describe? The answer is zero, and why? Because fans and players do not want to watch or play in meaningless games, which is exactly what they are once you acknowledge that they have no chance at being considered champions. On what basis is it realistic to expect all this if USF has no access to meaningful postseason accolades, considering the school struggled to draw fans, recruits, etc., when it DID have meaningful access?

You are right that money without title game access would be fine, the problem is, that's actually not possible. Or at least, there is zero evidence to suggest it is possible, and plenty of evidence to suggest that it is not. The only way what you're saying is plausible is if USF's long-term ambitions are to be competing with the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world permanently, and ... that's gross. Gross and stupid.

Edited by gobulls83
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

But ... with the new media deal paying us $2 million per year, compared to the $25 million Florida gets and the $19 million FSU gets, there is no way we will have enough TV money to accomplish ANY of the three objectives you list.

What we might be able to do is parlay that $30 million Big East legacy payout into better facilities and/or coaches that might give us a bit of a boost. But even then, what "top shelf" recruit is going to be excited about playing Tulane, Memphis, and ECU on ESPN3 when they could be playing against Georgia, LSU, Clemson, or Miami on ESPN or ABC? We have no chance to land top recruits unless there happens to be a 5- star guy from Plant or King High who is such a homebody he can't imagine leaving Tampa.

Good luck to us with that ... :blush:

Edited by BatonRougeBull87
  • Upvote 2

But ... with the new media deal paying us $2 million per year, compared to the $25 million Florida gets and the $19 million FSU gets, there is no way we will have enough TV money to accomplish ANY of the three objectives you list.

What we might be able to do is parlay that $30 million Big East legacy payout into better facilities and/or coaches that might give us a bit of a boost. But even then, what "top shelf" recruit is going to be excited about playing Tulane, Memphis, and ECU on ESPN3 when they could be playing against Georgia, LSU, Clemson, or Miami on ESPN or ABC? We have no chance to land top recruits unless there happens to be a 5- star guy from Plant or King High who is such a homebody he can't imagine leaving Tampa.

Good luck to us with that ... :blush:

I don't get the idea that a good recruiter can't bring in good recruits.  The standout 5 star guys that were going to UF, FSU, 'bama are going to continue to go there.  We never got those guys.  But if CWT can find kids that fit his system, are talented and intelligent I don't see why we can't be a solid team that garners national recognition.  Boise has been in what, the MWC or whatever.  Here was their schedule last year http://www.docsports.com/schedules/college_football/Boise_State.html

Home games against Tulsa, Nevada, Air Force, TCU, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona St.

They don't "rank" well in recruiting.  Yet they manage to be in the national spotlight year after year.  It is possible and we can hope that it eventually happens here.  If you don't have hope that that can happen, what the hades are you doing on here and why bother to pay attention.  I think if we win enough games, no matter the competition, that butts will fill up seats - maybe not to capacity of Ray Jay, but the lower bowl and some of the upper deck.  As for his 3rd point, donors; that has more to do with guys like Eric (and formerly Vicki) who are out there schmoozing and encouraging.  Some people want to be part of something good. Others just want to be part of something and help out.  Obviously alums are the people that you would expect to be most supportive but there are plenty of non alum that are involved in USF, both academics and athletics.

I've taken some grief recently for being negative.  Some of that is people just not knowing who I am.  If you asked anyone that I've met from the Board, they KNOW I am always going to support the Bulls.  But I always, ALWAYS hope for the best.  I don't raise my EXPECTATIONS beyond what I deem are realistic.  I'm not going to cry if we lose to MSU in September but I damm well HOPE we will beat them.  That's why I'm making the effort to go.  That is why I went to Auburn, ND and FSU.  Would not trade those experiences for anything.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Just win, baby!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We will need to become the next Boise.....

We will need to become the next Boise.....

And there is no reason we can't.  Other than Prado, I think the coaches we have give us a shot.  And I don't really know what's up with Lelo.  How do you forget to coach?  If you think hard about it, an invite to the Big 12 will make us an "also ran" in football for the next half century or so going up against Texas and Oklahoma. We couldn't win the Big East.  Would Boise get the same recognition being in the Pac 12 or Big 12?  Probably not IMO.  The fact that they are outside the Big 4, 5 or 6 gets them more recognition than if they were getting beat up by powerhouses and losing 2 - 3 games per year.  Dominating a lesser conference (God willing) would get us more recognition than finishing .500 or under in the Big 12.  We wouldn't get exposed until a bowl game, should we get to a major bowl game.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Hey Cousin, no reason to get all more holier Bull than thou on me, lol. I always support USF, I was just explaining that if things like recruiting top talent depend on TV money we are in trouble.