• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can an athletic department go broke?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

There has to be some way to blame an ethnic minority here

West Virginians?

Minority. Not handicapped.

OH SO WRONG, BUT OH SO FUNNY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Say what you like about DW, but I cannot imagine being in his position today.  Less than a decade ago he oversees his athletic program's move into the big leagues.  The media money immediately grows substantially, but with an almost certain leap into the $15-$17M per year range.  Plans are made, facilities are built on leverage, salaries are boosted.  And now his reality is that he will be working with less money than he could have possibly dreamt in his worst nightmare.

What realistic moves can he make?

Title 9 can make a University AD go bankrupt... USF is forced to fund a bunch of women's sports that it would had otherwise not chose to run. Florida should nullify Title 9 and let the University's do what they can afford to do.

If you think its bad right now, just wait until the new Obama extensions to title 9  go into affect... I heard that Universities will have to begin adding handicapped sports in addition to the women's sports that nobody attends as it is.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Say what you like about DW, but I cannot imagine being in his position today.  Less than a decade ago he oversees his athletic program's move into the big leagues.  The media money immediately grows substantially, but with an almost certain leap into the $15-$17M per year range.  Plans are made, facilities are built on leverage, salaries are boosted.  And now his reality is that he will be working with less money than he could have possibly dreamt in his worst nightmare.

Title 9 can make a University AD go bankrupt... USF is forced to fund a bunch of women's sports that it would had otherwise not chose to run. Florida should nullify Title 9 and let the University's do what they can afford to do.

If you think its bad right now, just wait until the new Obama extensions to title 9  go into affect... I heard that Universities will have to begin adding handicapped sports in addition to the women's sports that nobody attends as it is.

Link?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Keep in mind that not only will media revenue drop, but the size of the bowl payouts will drop.

My guess is some sports are going to get cut if a better conference deal doesn't come along.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

Blame for Title IX is right on the universities.  Its much more than what is offered. Its the gigantic difference between the quality of men's women's and handicapped programs. My sister went to FSU and USF in the 70s. No practice facilities, one uniform for all sports, she was on the volleyball and softball teams, on scholarship. By 1 uniform, I mean the girls from the different teams shared the same uniforms. There is an interview she did, back when she was among the honored and invited onto the field at the half time of an FSU game during the year of women in sports, 2005. She was on the first team FSU had go to the NCAA playoffs in volleyball. She was a physical education major. So yeah, if universities are going to offer athletics, they need to do more evenly.

Excerpt

What was the environment like at FSU and around the country during the early 1970s?

Compared to what student-athletes have now, we didn't have anything. All

women's teams had the same uniforms - sometimes you wore them for a

couple of different sports. They went from team to team. I remember

looking back at pictures and I think the track team wore the ones we

had. We always had 12 on a team. One year, we only had 11 uniforms, so

the 12th girl did not have a uniform, she just wore shorts and a

t-shirts.

We drove an FSU station wagon, which held a dozen people and luggage, to

tournaments across the state. We would get in the car with bag lunches

for long trips. We drove to Miami almost every weekend for tournaments.

We couldn't afford too many hotel rooms so we flipped coins for beds.

Once, one of our players hurt her back so we all curled up and

sacrificed our space so she could stretch out in the car and get

healthy.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

the purpose of this thread is to explore the current fiscal realities that DW faces in the coming 12 months, and questions wha t steps he should take now.

i believe that a great leader would at this moment take the first financial bullet.  if dw would cut his own salary in half immediately, it would send a message.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Winning will fix most if not all.  Winning will put people in seats and generate income.  Winning might also gets us into a different conference.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

No chance in hell Ray Jay becomes a neutral stadium.

Or the yellow seats at Heinz field turning blue when Pitt plays. And saying that Heinz field is 5 miles from Pitt. Ray Jay is just over double that from USF. Don't make it sound like its in the next county.

7590054848_723e8c1fa1_z.jpg

tumblr_maj0u0pXkm1qbwxlqo1_1280.jpg

Come on man, Yellow is just little closer to gold than red is.

Buy your wife some yellow jewelry and tell her its very close to gold!
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

ZING!!

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

the purpose of this thread is to explore the current fiscal realities that DW faces in the coming 12 months, and questions wha t steps he should take now.

i believe that a great leader would at this moment take the first financial bullet.  if dw would cut his own salary in half immediately, it would send a message.

Its an option. I don't know of anyone in college sports taking a pay cut, at any level, for any reason. It may have happened, but I am unaware. The closest I know about is Bear Bryant saying he shouldn't be paid more than the university president.