• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Eh...par for the course when it comes to USF sports.  We very rarely play well in big games.  And very rarely do our big players show up big time in big games.  

I disagree with this.. Way to general and certainly not true across the board.

One thing we have to remember, "big games" always occur against good teams. Its like saying that softball lost its 2 big games in OK City last year, but fails to account for the 4 or 5 big game wins it took to get there.  Or football losing the "big game" in 2007 at Rutgers, but not counting the big wins that came before that against Auburn, WVU, UCF and UNC.

For WBB Andrea Smith is one of our big players, and she showed up big time with 2 wins in two big games out of the last 3 games we played.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's not the end of the world. But we probably need to take at least 1 in the tourney now.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am counting big games as games at a point in time of the season where something is clearly on the line.  Over the years, in all of our sports, there has been no more than a handful of times, when there is something clearly on the line that we come out and play a truly competitive game and pull off the "must win" victory.  Typically, we put up a horrible showing and our big time players come up short.  

Have we had upsets before?  Absolutely!  Was the Auburn game, Notre Dame, Florida State games "must win games" because something was on the line?  No.  They were nice wins and notable wins for us.

I am talking about games like in Football 2003, where we needed to beat UAB to go to our first bowl game and we played horribly for most of that game.  UCONN games in 2006 and 2008 where we needed wins to basically be in contention for the BE championship.  There have been several years where baseball needed a couple of big wins to get to the tourney and completely disappeared.  I recall when Jessica Dickson was here, there was a couple of "must win games" for the team to get to the tourney and she completed was taken out of the game and the team didn't even come close to winning the must win game.  

I have been following USF sports closely since 1980, even going back to the CB years in Basketball I can remember losing almost all of the "must win games".  Quite honestly, the first "must win" games I remember any of our teams winning were last year in Softball, Soccer and basketball.  Other than that, I really can't remember any.  There were probably a few in the Paschal years in basketball, but really few and far between.

It's not even losing in these games that bother me (not that they really bother me anyway), but it's that we are rarely competitive when we get to these games.  

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Where's that FireJoseFernandez guy been? :D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Football won 4 bowl games. I'll call all of those big games. WBB winning the last two. Volleyball used to win big games all the time. If you go into the corral you will see a bunch of banners from a period in time where we were good. MBB last year won at least 4 big games, including two in the tourney.

Yes, USF overall is probably under .500 in "big games" .... but I think a big part of that is what makes games big games is top notch opponents.

Its not like a volleyball player from 1995 and a football player from 2007 have a common bond that dictates choking in big games. When you aren't the neighborhood bully, big games are tough to win ... and over the years USF has won a decent number of them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

Per Greg's comment, we didn't need to win out. It was a road loss against RU, but the next win is even more important now. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

I have been following USF sports closely since 1980, even going back to the CB years in Basketball I can remember losing almost all of the "must win games".  Quite honestly, the first "must win" games I remember any of our teams winning were last year in Softball, Soccer and basketball.  Other than that, I really can't remember any.  There were probably a few in the Paschal years in basketball, but really few and far between.

It's not even losing in these games that bother me (not that they really bother me anyway), but it's that we are rarely competitive when we get to these games.

Evidently not as close as you believe. You don't win the WNIT championship without winning "must win games. The RU game wasn't a "must win game". Edited by mviusa

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Evidently not as close as you believe. You don't win the WNIT championship without winning "must win games. The RU game wasn't a "must win game".

Mebbe not, but winning it would have taken some pressure off the UCONN game.

UCONN's also not a "must-win" game, because we could still get to the tourney without it, but then ALL of the rest become "must-wins", including the BET

Where's that FireJoseFernandez guy been? :D

Working double shifts cleaning the restrooms at the Dome!

I don't think anything would take the pressure off playing the Huskies.