• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I guess well see who's right, Hem.

Part of being in a position of power is knowing where you stand and what the most likely outcome is. Sure, you could gamble with your position, cross your fingers and 'hope' for the best like Aresco did with trying to patch together a 'national conference' based on markets and not followings or tradition. How much of what he's done since taking over the NBE would you classify as a 'knee-jerk response"? Tulane? 

Or, you could be in a 'power position' like Marinatto and not look into the future at all.

Or, you could be in a position of 'power' like Tranghese was and say after your tenure, ""The thing the Big East didn't have was a football leader -- a Florida, Alabama or USC -- a team that contended for the national championship every year or carried the league. It wasn't strong enough football-wise." 

Certainly, once the new system is in place, a NBE team will NEVER be in contention for a national championship. Once the teams in movement land where they are going, will the NBE be strong enough football wise then?

Please explain to me how our conference's leaders in 'power positions' now are going to get us out of this. Tell me how as a leader of USF, you would interpret what is happening in college athletics right now and feel entirely optimistic about our schools future. I really want someone to tell me this.

I keep reading posts like, "Winning Solves Everything", "Chicken Littles Are Everywhere" and "Things Are Going To Work Out", but no one says how. As I've said before, I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG.

You say you don't know what's going to happen, but in your mind, where do you think we end up? Under what circumstances? How does it get better? You must have some thoughts to the contrary of what I've said if you are labeling them as 'knee-jerk reactions'. Again, I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG. Give me something else to think. Give me another perspective of how USF ends up playing with the 'Big Boys' in a conference or situation where we are earning comparable revenues to the other 'power' schools.

Edited by BaltoBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Chicken Little's everywhere; conference realignment has more to come and is not yet finished. The truth is that none of you have a f*cking clue what's going to happen, myself included. I hope none of you run or are in a power position of anything important, these knee jerk responses are ridiculous.

Well, for one, none of us has any influence on this at all. Not even a little. It's happening to our school, so we do have a vested interest, but we're spectators. Second, all we can do is comment and fuss about what we're seeing. Unless you're privy to information we the Chicken Littles are not, what are you so excited and hopeful for?

Seems to me that the best case scenario involves the ACC needing to reload with us, but as others have said, then that would mean the ACC is as devalued as the BE was/is, and we'd still be on the outside looking in. Conference realignment isn't done, but that's only because the Power 4/5 haven't finished consolidating their power yet. In what reasonable reality do you see us being included in that consolidation of power? Which Power conference would want USF if you're really honest about it?

I admit, I'm pessimistic. I'm damned pessimistic. I don't want to be. I'd LOVE to be jumping up and down and celebrating an invite to the B12 or anywhere else. But, I just don't see any possibility of that based on what's happened, why it appears to be happening, and on what we can try to predict will happen based on statements from the likes of the B1G, etc. about wanting to cut OOC games.

It's bad news and more bad news, just about every day. Talking about it makes us Chicken Little's, I guess. To me, seeing what's happening and thinking we're going to come out smelling like roses is kind of, well, delusional. That's magical thinking right there.

How do you know what the ACC would be thought of if reloaded? How does anyone know where we will end up? You have no clue, none of us do. Relax and take a xanax, there are some really good teams currently on the "outside looking in" and some crap teams on the inside looking out. Things will work themselves out one way or another. A 4/5 Conference 64 team league will include us, regardless of which one we'd end up in.

Yes, you are pessamistic. Which is fine in itself, but these past couple hysteria-laced posts with you and Balto are a bit much. 

When this is all said and done (and I mean really done), if we are STILL on the outside looking in I will join you in being upset but with daily rumblings of the B1G, SEC, and Big12 expanding...it's crazy to be posting crap about closing up shop and crying about our current situation.

Balto, it's nice that you WANT ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS

Nobody has them right now since our situation is so fluid. If/When the next wave strikes I seriously doubt we will still be in the "New Big East". Nobody is crying over at the Boise board. (except about their blue uni's/field)

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

The conferences will expand or not. If they do teams will leave other conferences to join expanding conferences. If invited we will bolt, if not we will make the best of what we have! The only thing anyone can truly control is themselves, beyond that we suggest but not control. Everyone can believe what they want. I know that as long as I am physically and fiscally able support the Bulls, I will!!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959

How do you know what the ACC would be thought of if reloaded?

Yes, you are pessamistic. Which is fine in itself, but these past couple hysteria-laced posts with you and Balto are a bit much. 

How do I know? Um, because if the ACC needs us, that means that FSU and Miami are gone (otherwise, why would they want another Florida team)? And if FSU and Miami are gone, I think it's fair to predict that Georgia Tech, Clemson, etc. will also go. FSU and Miami aren't going to go and be the last teams to move. If you think so, why do you think that? And if all of those teams leave the ACC, well, the ACC ain't going to be the ACC anymore and the Power 4, where all of these former-ACC teams will have gone to, will then have ALL of the "good" teams.

Hysteria-laced? Okay. We have different definitions of hysteria. But, have I said (or has Balto said) anything that is patently wrong? Or illogical? Or outside the bounds of possibility given what we can see is actually already happening?

I'm not having fun raining on anyone's parade. I'm powerless to any of this. I'm just commenting on a message board (kinda what it's here for) on news reports, rumors, and other bits of information that have to do with USF, our conference, etc.

$2 million per year, for 6 years, from NBC. This makes you excited? This gives you hope for the future? Please tell me how. What am I missing?

And, Hem, I never said we should close up shop. I'm saying we should give up the dreams we had of making it big any time soon. And that's not taking our toys and going home, that's being kicked off the playground. Hey, it is what it is. We just have to moderate our expectations of where we will fit in the world. That's not even pessimistic. Pragmatic, if anything.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Pretty sure the ACC just hitched their wagon to the Big12 in writing. Think they did that for fun? If/when the ACC is poached, the conference still remains relevant.

Our current situation isn't good, we all know this. I just don't see the current situation lasting long. Do you really think we are stuck here? You can choose to see your glass half empty, I'll choose to refrain from judgement until the movements are complete.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Everyone read this and calm down.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5155

An outsiders (sober) assessment of the Big East. 

Some points:

It will be a good league and could be a great league and if NBC has it to promote, it will draw attention and command respect.

Lots of work to be done here and that is the reason the money is so low. The key here for NBC and the  Big East would be to work hard on non-conference games. 

it could work and while it would not come close to matching the main show, it would give the  Big East a sense of direction, purpose and perhaps comfort

Edited by hm101

Everyone read this and calm down.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5155

An outsiders (sober) assessment of the Big East. 

Some points:

It will be a good league and could be a great league and if NBC has it to promote, it will draw attention and command respect.

Lots of work to be done here and that is the reason the money is so low. The key here for NBC and the  Big East would be to work hard on non-conference games. 

it could work and while it would not come close to matching the main show, it would give the  Big East a sense of direction, purpose and perhaps comfort

The key point I pulled out of that is "not come close to matching the main show." And it's hard to argue with that. That's what I was saying when I was moaning earlier about being on the outside looking, etc. We'll keep playing football, maybe we'll even win the conference a few times, if NBC Sports makes money we'll eventually get a better deal. But, we're still outside looking in. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that. As someone who wanted to be inside, it does hurt, though.

But, maybe Hem's right and we do get picked up by a big boy conference. I sure hope so.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

Chicken Little's everywhere; conference realignment has more to come and is not yet finished. The truth is that none of you have a f*cking clue what's going to happen, myself included. I hope none of you run or are in a power position of anything important, these knee jerk responses are ridiculous.

Well, for one, none of us has any influence on this at all. Not even a little. It's happening to our school, so we do have a vested interest, but we're spectators. Second, all we can do is comment and fuss about what we're seeing. Unless you're privy to information we the Chicken Littles are not, what are you so excited and hopeful for?

Seems to me that the best case scenario involves the ACC needing to reload with us, but as others have said, then that would mean the ACC is as devalued as the BE was/is, and we'd still be on the outside looking in. Conference realignment isn't done, but that's only because the Power 4/5 haven't finished consolidating their power yet. In what reasonable reality do you see us being included in that consolidation of power? Which Power conference would want USF if you're really honest about it?

I admit, I'm pessimistic. I'm damned pessimistic. I don't want to be. I'd LOVE to be jumping up and down and celebrating an invite to the B12 or anywhere else. But, I just don't see any possibility of that based on what's happened, why it appears to be happening, and on what we can try to predict will happen based on statements from the likes of the B1G, etc. about wanting to cut OOC games.

It's bad news and more bad news, just about every day. Talking about it makes us Chicken Little's, I guess. To me, seeing what's happening and thinking we're going to come out smelling like roses is kind of, well, delusional. That's magical thinking right there.

How do you know what the ACC would be thought of if reloaded? How does anyone know where we will end up? You have no clue, none of us do. Relax and take a xanax, there are some really good teams currently on the "outside looking in" and some crap teams on the inside looking out. Things will work themselves out one way or another. A 4/5 Conference 64 team league will include us, regardless of which one we'd end up in.

When this is all said and done (and I mean really done), if we are STILL on the outside looking in I will join you in being upset but with daily rumblings of the B1G, SEC, and Big12 expanding...it's crazy to be posting crap about closing up shop and crying about our current situation.

Balto, it's nice that you WANT ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS

Nobody has them right now since our situation is so fluid. If/When the next wave strikes I seriously doubt we will still be in the "New Big East". Nobody is crying over at the Boise board. (except about their blue uni's/field)

Good for Boise. I am sure they will enjoy making more than anyone else in their conference, giving them an advantage and still having their games on the WWL and being paid a bonus for it. For them, it must be nice to be the Kings of the Blue Castle. They are not complaining because they know **** well they got the best deal they were going to get.

I've been quite forward, adamant and consistent with regards to my opinions about what is happening, but when you took me to task and I asked your thoughts, you declined to answer. It's easy to have an opinion when you don't have one. You dismiss mine, but offer none of your own other than we won't be in the NBE.

I don't have time to play this all day, but you don't know how a reloaded ACC will be perceived? Can we agree that in order for the ACC to pick up USF, either FSU or Miami has to leave? Assuming that's the case, who does that leave left? Do you think if FSU bolts, Clemson and VT are going to stick around a conference with no other football 'brands'?

It's been speculated elsewhere ad nauseum and I happen agree with the notion that if the ACC is raided to the degree which would necessitate USF getting the call-up the core football schools (FSU, Clemson, VT and possibly, Miami) will be gone. Take the 'power' schools out of the equation and what do you think the perception of the remaining schools would be? What teams of the remaining lot have consistently played in BCS bowls before the new system implementation? I refer to Tranghese's statement above, who is going to consistently play for the national championship every year? Who in the ACC by the time we get there is going to carry the league? Cincy? If you think it's us - we and the rest of the conference are going to be a laughingstock. Remember, Tranghese is the guy who was in the power position of which you referred to previously based a previous argument - not a 'chicken little'.

Buying into your statement that USF is included in a 4/5 conference 64 team league, rest assured that wherever we land, it will be the weakest of the conferences. Answer me this, in the scenario that the ACC is raided and left without it's main brands, do you think ESPN or CBS will pay the NACC the same amount of money? Don't you think if the B1G or B12 nabbed the ACC's 'power' schools that those conferences would rework their contracts and eventually be paid MORE?

Okay, so now we're making more money, great. But the conferences above us are making that much more now too, still maintaining the gap. 

Chasing the carrot, again.

Again, FSU (and likely Miami) will end up in more prestigious conferences than us. Tell me how they don't. The perception will still remain that they are part of the "Big 3" and we are not. It doesn't make sense for conferences to double-up in states where eventually their network will be broadcast with one team present anyways, unless the B12 gets really ambitious and nabs FSU and Miami. Ultimately though, I think one of the two goes to the B1G and the other goes to the B12 eventually. B1G ain't taking us, B12 is going to get their pick of someone who 'moves the needle' and makes Bevo happy. SEC has UF. How does anyone know where we'll end up? Dude, there's no figuring out where we are going, the only place to go, if we go anywhere is the ACC. To imply otherwise suggests you are not paying attention.

I'm sorry my opinions are a bit much for you. I think I'm beginning to see things a bit clearer since I've taken off my green and gold glasses.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hem, the difference between a chicken little and realist is the chicken little speculates the sky is falling.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!

We just accepted a deal to pay us $2 mil a year. That's less than what we're making on a 5 year old pre payout explosion TV deal.

Yeah. It's okay to be negative about this because it DOES suck. It's not being a chicken little z