• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

Went to a basketball game down at FGCU on Thursday night. A friend's grandson plays for Lipscomb and we went to see him.  Turned out to be a good game with Lipscomb coming back to win in OT.

My point is this.  Without any announcement from the PA announcer, at some point about a minute before the game started, virtually everyone stood up and started singing some song.  I'm supposing it was the fight song.  They actually sang it at a speed that human voices and ears could comprehend while their band played.  How freaking refreshing.  USF's pregame in football and basketball is embarrassing and while the organizers of this stuff are partially at fault, I believe much of it falls on the fans. That school is about as old as our football program and their basketball program probably started around 2004.  And they are already light years ahead of USF in basketball atmosphere.  BTW, their students (maybe 75 - 100) stood the entire game.

Just sad IMO

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

Until the culture changes, nothing else will. My high school had more school spirit. Why? Because kids actually loved the school.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

Well, the Mrs. and I are splitting for an early dinner and catch this, Georgetown vs USF thing. 

I went to the Georgia game, earlier this year, with my father-in-law, so I'll make an honest 

effort to be in my seat prior to tipoff to observe this miscreant behavior. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Agree Cousin Ricky.  We have the arena, and I must say it was nice to see good crowds there, but we are a very quiet fan base.  I see ourselves as the Japanese baseball fans of college sports.  Syracuse had more people in the Sundome than we did, not surprising, and I hope to see it all Green tonight for Georgetown.

One issue is that what should we sing?  chant?  You are right, this is something that has to grow organically, and really will take years since I think it grows from the students, who then come back as alumni.  

I noticed UCF kicks are ass in fan support as we saw here earlier.  Whereas I hate the Mickey Mouse Club, they were very unified in their actions and support on the floor.

I myself have taken up being the ref harrasser from sec. 206...

Since there was no announcement I can only assume that when their band starting playing the fans stood up and started singing.  I can even live with the PA guy announcing it but, for the love of God, let the band play and the fans sing it at a normal tempo.  It it just so ridiculous the way it is.  I do know the words (maybe the only thing the Holtz New Era was good for).  But for the life of me I can't figure out at what pace to sing them.  And then the band plays it as they are about to tip off and usually don't finish it.  Just crazy.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I think part of it has to do with the presentation.  I feel like for both football and basketball games are presented as professional games instead of college games. This stems from our marketing director.

I think part of it has to do with the presentation.  I feel like for both football and basketball games are presented as professional games instead of college games. This stems from our marketing director.

You are right, in part.  But at tonight's game, like all games, when they ask you to stand up and sing the fight song 90 percent of the people in the club seats stay seated.  Maybe they figure they've paid a lot of money for them so they are going to use them.  Get your rich butt out of the seat even if you don't know the words.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

Awrite, so I was there to take in the land-speed-record pre-game get-your-attention rendition of the fight song. 

I'm pretty sure it's done as a joke...those kids know they're ripping through it as fast as possible since 90% of 

the fans don't do anything until it's S-O-U time anyway. 

If you know, in advance, that the 'fight song' is going to be a joke - and you're not going to participate - why stand?

Let the kids get their laugh and then take in the game. I think, at some point, we tire of  being told 'ladies and gentlemen, please stand*....'

* for everything except Nat'l Anthem.

The singing of the fight song shouldn't be a joke.  It isn't like they've tried singing it in a normal fashion.  It has been done this way since the first game this year.  In fact this started with last year's (or was it the year before) football team and that promotion.  When they had people send in videos they were all done at warp speed.  It's a good fight song.  Just take the extra 15 seconds and make it sound good.

A side note.  At the FSU game a couple of years back we had some FSU fans in back of us.  After they scored I realized that the 10 year old kid was singing the fight song along with everyone else in the stadium.  A 10 year old.  How freaking hard can it be to straighten this out?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Do they NOT put the lyrics on the jumbotron? If not, why not?