• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ugly Ugly Ugly vs Louisville

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

Think about what, small wording on a message board? Let me lay my point out for you.

Waverly Austin committed to USF out of high school.

Waverly Austin did not qualify academically out if high school.

Waverly Austin went to Palm Beach CC to earn his Associates.

Waverly Austin earned his Associates.

Waverly Austin committed to USF again.

USF entrance has requirements that go beyond getting an Associates if you don't go to certain community colleges.

Those requirements are laid out in advance.

The Academic Committee reviewed his file.

Waverly Austin didn't qualify for USF because he didn't qualify for USF academically.

Waverly Austin is playing elsewhere.

In the end, he didn't qualify.

The end.

bottom line, austin screwed up (or usf screwed up by failing to advise him properly) by going to palm beach cc instead of one the institutions listed in the consortium agreement, to where he would have qualified at usf with a 2.0, not a 2.5.

It being that cut and dried of a case, why did it take so long to get his gpa? Was he taking a summer course?

im more curious about knowing the date he enrolled at palm beach cc, versus the date we signed the consortium agreement.  because if we signed that agreement BEFORE he enrolled at usf, why wouldnt he have gone to one of THOSE 4 schools?  i mean, it doesnt really matter who's to blame at this point, it is what it is and hes long gone, i guess this is just an extension of my frustration we've been having downlow on the basketball court this year. (rebounding, etc).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Awesomeness,

Very frustrating.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Who knows. Maybe the academic committee meets quarterly. Maybe they told him he could enroll early but try had to review his file still. Maybe he knew he didn't meet certain criteria but was hoping they'd make an exception.

The point is all we know is that he didn't meet the criteria and wasn't allowed to play basketball at USF as a result.

The end.

To slouch of the way the academic committee handled the situation that easily, Joe, just doesn't sit well. Noone from USF admissions or the academic committee has provided a thorough explaination as to what happened. I understand that student privacy laws apply, but it defintely took unusually long to realize and report that the kid couldn't qualify here, especially, after obtaining his AA from a state community college.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Joe, I respect your faith in the academic committee, but I've served on too many to know they're not really worth placing faith in.  For support of that statement, see:  Oregon's academic committee!

They screwed up on this one big time, and academics are no better for it at USF....and athletics are worse off.

(Edit for typo)

Edited by NCBull

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Based on all the quotes at the time from everyone, including Heath, I concluded that Austin knew what he needed to do and didn't get it done.  Heath strongly implied something along those lines.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Based on all the quotes at the time from everyone, including Heath, I concluded that Austin knew what he needed to do and didn't get it done.  Heath strongly implied something along those lines.

Yes he did. The article was listed somewhere on this message board.

Heath was just giving the company line(s) like a good employee. He was most likely steaming behind those words.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm Sure he was steaming, but it doesn't mean it probably wasn't true...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'm Sure he was steaming, but it doesn't mean it probably wasn't true...
Yet--again--it was fine for Oregon, who is a higher-ranked academic institution than we are.

Edit: here's one common measuring stick...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50

Oregon #115, USF #170

Edited by NCBull

Logic is not for all people