• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official: Chuck Bresnahan, Oakland Raiders DC in 2011, named USF's DC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I was hoping we'd drop a lot of money on a good DC and staff.  Looks like that is coming to pass.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I will wait before passing judgement. Go Bulls.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

He's an unknown. Not being able to succeed with the freaking Raiders is hardly a black mark on his resume.

We shall see.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

well with all due respect he is a former nfl defense coordinator. He was not retained. So he was unfit to do the job at hand. In my eyes thats a failure. He either took a year off or could not get another job in 2012...someone fill that in. This is about the same as hiring someone with no defensive coordinator experience. Its a gamble either way so who am I too complain. He sucked at what he did. We suck at what were doing. It fits. Were just hoping he does a good job. Were hoping there is some kind of toughness. The glaring positive is you cannot coach NFL defense without being somewhat TOUGH. Im hoping that this helps.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

I've always been a huge NFL fan so I follow about everything in that league and have done so since the early 90s so the time period which is the bulk of his experience I'm pretty familiar with. 

This is a pretty solid hire.  Remember, Taggart and his connections are going to "get us in the door" which is the biggest part of recruiting and then it's all "selling" from there on out.  It's alot about story telling.  These are 17/18 kids who all are star struck by ANYTHING NFL.  He can sit at the table and tell a kid, "You remind me of a kid we had on GT when I helped take them to the national championship."  "You remind me of a young (insert name here) I coached while at (NFL team here) who made the Pro Bowl or went with me to the SUPER BOWL". 

The guy has some bling from the teams he was associated with that those kids will see and that will be impressive.  Combine that with Taggart's ties and this is a pretty solid hire. 

Plus, he did pretty dang good considering he was with NFL teams that had some of the WORST front offices in the league.  The Raiders and the Bengals have blown trades/drafts for the past 20 years.  For them to win ANYTHING was a miracle during that time period considering the lack of talent they had compared to others at that time.  Seriously, if you followed the front office moves of the Raiders and Bengals, you'd see bad trade after bad trade, blown draft picks and bad character guys who were getting busted left and right.  With the Raiders, they spent effort after effort on the OFFENSE and even spent high picks on their K (Janikowski) over defensive players which would've had bigger impacts.  Al Davis was at the height of his stupidity during this time and if not for Gruden installing that offense with Gannon they'd have sucked worse!  Then it was only bc TB had Gruden and Oak hadn't changed ANY OF THEIR AUDIBLES was TB allowed to fully exploit that offense for interception after interception.  As Derrick Brooks said, when they audibled, we knew EXACTLY where the ball was going bc Gruden ran the offense against them in practice for two weeks prior to the game using the EXACT plays/signals.  As for Cincy, come on, that front office has been one of the worst in the NFL for DECADES and no one wants to play there as Cincy is a DUMP!

Considering what he was working with, he did pretty well.  However, once you get the "stink" on you in the NFL (and OAK/Cincy would stain you with a bunch of it), it's hard to shake which explains the path he's gone.

I'm not saying he's Nick Saban or Bill B from the Pats, but he has NFL experience, LOTS of it and with that come stories and the OCs he's most likely going to be facing will be amateur hour compared to the schemes he saw in the NFL.

This is one of those hires I think when it's said and done will be a solid value hire.  Plus, if he came recommended by a Harbaugh, I trust it more than any poster bc those guys "get it right" when it comes to personnel and they've done it with FUNDAMENTALS, not big names.

It may not work out, but I'm optimistic about this hire.

Edited by Ruger7mmmag
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461

Seems like the majority of posters think this is either a good hire or will wait and see. I don't see why we should not be pleased. This is definitely an upgrade... and I do think having NFL experience will help with recruiting.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

I'm glad I don't have to work for some of you on here...not even a day in and you are against this guy.  He got to be a DC for an NFL team, that says a lot.  He can bring some credibility and experience, you know he has some connections in the NFL still, that will help with recruits.  Plus I though Woodie was going to be a Defense Coach, he's been the name I keep hearing about being a stud recruiter...let him do the talking and CCB can help out.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

well with all due respect he is a former nfl defense coordinator. He was not retained. So he was unfit to do the job at hand. In my eyes thats a failure. He either took a year off or could not get another job in 2012...someone fill that in. This is about the same as hiring someone with no defensive coordinator experience. Its a gamble either way so who am I too complain. He sucked at what he did. We suck at what were doing. It fits. Were just hoping he does a good job. Were hoping there is some kind of toughness. The glaring positive is you cannot coach NFL defense without being somewhat TOUGH. Im hoping that this helps.

Are you crazy?  Most coaches were probably fired from some place.  Here's 2 in the NFL  for you.   Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy.  I think they did alright.

It is in no way like hiring somebody without DC experience.  He has had years of it, and has learned from the successes and yes the failures that he had.  

At least you are willing to make the best of this hire.  He deserves the support of all Bulls fans.

Go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

The question is not about his experience, or his appearance, or whether recruits will like his NFL bling. The questions are... can he run a SHUT DOWN, KNOCK TEETH IN, WIN GAMES DEFENSE, and can he coach our players up to play in that system well? Jury's definitely out on this one...