• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mark Royals: BJ to blame for fall of football program

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Our defenses couldnt close games. But this was because they were all so **** tired from being on the field all the time because our offense couldnt get a first down. And when they would score it would come off 50 yard bombs which would not give them time to rest at all. But all blame should not be put on BJ, our receivers dropped an incredible amount of passes this season. However, BJ never lived up to expectations and throughout his career his name was cursed more than it was praised by fans. A new beginning couldnt come soon enough.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

On 98.7 The Fan, when USF football was brought up by Drew Fellios, he asked Royals if Taggart could get USF to that elite level.

And Royals started off immediately by saying BJ was a bad QB who didn't have what it takes to win. Also mentioned recruiting being a problem. But he trashed BJ Daniels the entire time and didn't bring up the coaching once, up until the end when he said he would've given Skip one more year.

I understand this is an opinion, but if BJ would've been the only problem this year, we would've won 8-9 games.

Why do these outsiders want to say Skip needed more time? For what? To go to 0 and 12? Every year was worse than the year before. It is not like he took over a team with losing records the previous years.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Time of possession for the 6 games we lost 4th quarter leads the last two years.

Ball state  - USF

29:53 - 30:07

UL - USF

27:35 - 32:25

Syracuse-USF

28:16 - 31:41

Cin - USF

28:48 - 31:12

RU - USF

29:55 - 30:05

WVU - USF 

28:33 - 31:27

Edited by SANJAY

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Our defenses couldnt close games. But this was because they were all so **** tired from being on the field all the time because our offense couldnt get a first down. And when they would score it would come off 50 yard bombs which would not give them time to rest at all. But all blame should not be put on BJ, our receivers dropped an incredible amount of passes this season. However, BJ never lived up to expectations and throughout his career his name was cursed more than it was praised by fans. A new beginning couldnt come soon enough.

So Sanjay has shown this to argument to be a total fabrication. So what's the next play? What's the next lie people will make up to support this losing argument?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So it is arrogant to criticize the coaches, but not arrogant to criticize the players? Is that right? As far as I know, Skip Holtz has had nothing but good things to say about BJ Daniels. If he has said somewhere that Daniels can't throw the ball well enough to be a "D-1 QB," please provide a link, otherwise you're here "arrogantly" disagreeing with the coaches, right?

Criticizing is fine, nothing wrong with that at all... but it is frankly beyond arrogant to think that the solution is as simple as "the ol coach just isn't playing to BJ's strengths". Skip Holtz may not have done well at USF, he may not even be a great top-tier coach, but he certainly knows the talents of his team better than any fan watching, if for no other reason than he gets to see them more! When the leash has came off BJ he has consistently turned the ball over. Our best chance to win was to keep him under control and try to play good defense - until this year when our defense was unimaginably bad. BJ simply wasn't talented enough to play at this level - great kid, played his heart out - but the coaches needed to be looking elsewhere (both Leavitt and Holtz).

As far as top half - turns out he ranks 75 in passing! And that was probably only because of the early games against weak opponents that we'd just throw jump balls 50 yards down field and hope someone made a play! http://espn.go.com/c...Rating/count/41

Again, to be clear, I think it is grossly unfair to "blame BJ". He gave all he had. Our coaching staff is to blame. But the single greatest cause of the 3 year skid in USF football is inconsistent (and bad) play at the QB position. Any year you could say we had holes in other positions, but poor play under center has been the one and only consistent weakness.

maybe you missed the only year he played under a coach that knew how to use him but he was ranked #33 in his red shirt freshman year under Leavitt. oh and he didn't have the benefit of playing the cupcakes that year as Grothe started and played the majority of those games. Look who was #30 that year. Greg McElroy won a NC. or Blaine Gabbert at #31 first round pick. or Colin Kapernick at #35. Starter for 49ers. this was his red shirt freshman year and he was rated as well as these guys. Skip gets ahold of him and his ratings plummet.

http://espn.go.com/c...ating/year/2009

further proof that Skip had no clue how to use him. You see Leavitt ran him more and stretched the field with him(as evidenced by his better pass run ratio and higher yards per attempt average under leavitt). that took advantage of his strong arm and running abilities. Skip liked him to throw 35 times a game and throw short, difficult passes to boot. not BJs strength. Skip would run the read option with peyton manning if that were his system.

BTW these stats don't take rushing stats into account. Expecting Daniels to be perfect isn't realistic. take a look at most college QBs and they have glaring flaws in their games. BJ was always one of the top 4 QBs in the big east. even with a coach that hadn't a clue as to how to properly use him.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

Many of you just refuse to admit that BJ had any part is the "demise" (as some have put it) of our football program. I wouldn't lay all of the blame at his feet. But as we all know when the team wins the QB gets most of the credit, when the team loses the QB gets most of the blame. Right, wrong or indifferent that's jus the way it is. BJ was not a great QB, but kid left it all on the field, and that is all I ever ask of a collegiate player.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

As for the 4 star recruiting rank. See who is listed as other 4 star QB's similar to BJ, I don't care who coached him, he's no where near as good as the other 3.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-B.J.-Daniels-58795

Many of you just refuse to admit that BJ had any part is the "demise" (as some have put it) of our football program. I wouldn't lay all of the blame at his feet. But as we all know when the team wins the QB gets most of the credit, when the team loses the QB gets most of the blame. Right, wrong or indifferent that's jus the way it is. BJ was not a great QB, but kid left it all on the field, and that is all I ever ask of a collegiate player.

not sure anyone tries to deflect all blame from BJ. Obviously a QB will have some fault for the losses. that can be said for everyone from Tom Brady on down.

BJ was not the primary reason for the losing or the programs fall which is what this post and these posters are unsuccessfully trying to prove.

As for the 4 star recruiting rank. See who is listed as other 4 star QB's similar to BJ, I don't care who coached him, he's no where near as good as the other 3.

http://rivals.yahoo.....-Daniels-58795

he was ranked behind marqueis Gray(converted to WR), Matt scott(played 1 year), Curt philips (77 pass attempts).

so in his class he was probably the 5th best dual threat behind robert griffin 3, ej manuel, terrel pryor, and darron thomas.

not a bad career.

oh by the way that's FSU, Oregon, Ohio state and Baylor you're comparing him to. You can't put uSF, under skip holtz in any category, - offense or defense- that even comes close to those programs.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-B.J.-Daniels-58795

FSU boards have MANY similar threads to this regarding their comparable 4-star signee. Except HE had a great defense and solid coaching/play calling so this year they're in a BCS bowl. He only cost them the chance for a NC bid (NC State game).

QB should shoulder plenty of the blame anywhere...but the point here is that for Royals to say he gets all of it just isn't taking reality into account (I.e., the hack who coached this team for three years of BJ's career who was unceremoniously pink slipped RIGHT AFTER a lucrative contract renewal...hello?!?!?).