• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF and USF Commit Together (Official Statement)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Is there a less humiliating anchor to tie ourself to?

UMass?

SoMiss?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Is there a less humiliating anchor to tie ourself to?

Take the number of FBS schools, subtract 2 and that will to tell you many there are ...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Well, let's think about that for a second. What if you were in charge of the conference; unfortunately the members of the conference DICTATE to you, so you're not really in a position of power, so much as you're the name on the letterhead and the guy who answers the phone. Could you, in good conscience, ever say something to the effect that "Well, the conference is pretty much coming apart at the seams, and has been doing so for some time, so, in light of all of the defections and downgrading, we're gonna just hold our own and hope for the best. We're not going to initiate any action that would further damage the conference, but there's really nothing we can do if individual schools get a better deal and feel like bolting." Of course you wouldn't. And if we can get two...just two schools to say in public that they're committed to the conference (but I can't see where that term was etched in stone, so I really don't know what 'committed' means) maybe that plugs just one hole, for a very short time.

We all know that if ANY B5 conference called, that 'commitment' would have to be revisited and rescinded 'as it became apparent that to act in any other way would be detrimental to the long term goals of the University...harumph, harumph.'

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

in Soviet Russia...

the members of the conference DICTATE to you,

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

in Soviet Russia...

the members of the conference DICTATE to you,

You have a point. Did I miss where the Conference Czar put his boot down and demanded an end to the defections for the good of the proletariat?

'Cause from what I've read here on the Bulls Pravda, it seems to be that schools tell him that and when they're leaving the conference, and not the other way around. Alles klar, herr Kommissar?

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

Has there been any two schools that have moved as a package deal? I don't recall Pitt and 'Cues being a package. Also, the only conference that might want FL market is the B12, and they could take FSU presumably. Why share revenue with 2 schools when you would only need to share with 1?

Miami doesn't carry the Florida market, alone. FSU has big shoes to fill in both Orlando and Tampa Bay. Neither USF or UCF carry any markets outside of their own...the combo grabs two huge markets. If FSU is out of the ACC, how many folks in Orlando and Tampa are really going to watch and follow ACC sports on a larger scale? You put interest into following the conference matchups in two large TV markets with both teams, where one isn't enough to fill FSU's absence, for that conference. Sure people will still be watching FSU and UF in those towns, but none of those ratings go towards that conference.

For some of you who'd rather go at it on their own, does it matter if they package it or not? No...If this is what a conference like the ACC wants, as long as you get in, who cares? By the way, forget the Big 12. They still don't even have to expand past 10, right now. If they can't get FSU and another ACC school, they won't go after anyone else.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Again, before we take another leap

USF and UCF both committed to the Big East

And will work together with the other 11 schools.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

By the way, forget the Big 12. They still don't even have to expand past 10, right now. If they can't get FSU and another ACC school, they won't go after anyone else.

I am also skeptical that the Big 12 will expand without ACC members. However, I disagree with the notion that the Big 12 should not expand.

They are the only AQ conference without a conference championship game, struggling with rankings in spite of actually great football strength (sound familiar to other Big East fans?), have the smallest media and population footprint, and are gradually becoming less relevant in the national media-like the once proud Big East.

Many of their most outspoken fans brag that their tv contract makes more than the ACC's. Well, there is a decent rumor claiming the Atlantic Coast Conference will be on par with the Big 12 where the latter loses one of its only few confirmable objective advantages it had between the two conferences. And, the ACC could start making even more money in its tv contract.

The Big 12 absolutely has to expand to 12, almost ASAP.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

As long as the B12 has Texas and Oklahoma, there is absolutely NOTHING else they HAVE to do.