• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report Cincinnati and UCon want to form a new league

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

Just don't call it the big anything

The Sporting News has a report Friday morning that Cincinnati and Connecticut are exploring a forming a new league that could include USF. In the wake of the Catholic schools breaking away from the Big East, the new league would include remnants of the schools left in the Big East and some from the Mountain West. TSN reports members could include: UConn, Cincinnati, USF, Memphis, Temple, Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico and possibly BYU or Central Florida. TSN reported the league might require a long-term granting of media rights similar to the Big 12 arrangement and said Cincinnati and Connecticut might use that possibility to entice an invitation from the ACC.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/report-cincinnati-connecticut-take-lead-forming-new-league

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,999
  • Days Won:  12

I'm fine with that. What the **** else is there.

BUT if UConn and Cincy use this as some sort of leverage to get in the ACC, god help them because they will have crossed a line with us, with some ACC members, and potentially even US antitrust law.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I see that scenario leaves out ECU. Figure a way to exclude UCF and I am all for it! :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I'm fine with that. What the **** else is there.

BUT if UConn and Cincy use this as some sort of leverage to get in the ACC, god help them because they will have crossed a line with us, with some ACC members, and potentially even US antitrust law.

You know that's what they are trying to do, "Sign us up (to the ACC) now or we're going to sign a GOR with a new league and we might not be available when you come calling." The question is wether the ACC will bite or leave the Cats and Huskies hanging on the vine.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I see that scenario leaves out ECU. Figure a way to exclude UCF and I am all for it! :FIREdevil:

Be more worried about what INCLUDES US, not what excludes someone else. I don't care if we're in a league with FIU, FAU, UCF....as long as it's a viable conference that won't crumble every time someone says; "Hey would you like to..." and the instant answer is YES, YES, YES!!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah but Bull, the only conferences that haven't had a team say that is the SEC and the Pac, I'm pretty sure. Short list.

I'd be okay as long as they aren't that kid who starts playing with a second kid and his blocks until a third or fourth asks him to play. Leaving the 2nd kid alone with his blocks all in a mess.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

This is a big time smokescreen. UCONN and Cincinnati have not suddenly come to accept they are being left out and trying to salvage something. Notice its just them. Why are these two schools, that seemingly have no other link other than they both desperately want to find a Big 5 home be working together to lead a path forward for Big East rejects? They arent. This would have been a lot more believable if it were to come months from now. Its a reactionary move of desperation and if they end up in the ACC it wont be because of this ruse.

Edited by inTransit

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

Travel costs for non-revenue sports would still be the biggest problem. They also left out SMU/UH/Tulane/Navy. A possibility would be to have 6 west (BSU/SDSU/UNLV/UNM/ and BYU/AFA or SMU/UH?) and 6 east (USF/Mem/UC/UConn/Tem and Navy/Tulane/ECU/orUCF?). With BYU/AFA the western states would all be contiguous (if that means anything). In a 16-game schedule (for BBall), you could play everyone each year and only play 3 conference road games on the other side of the continent. Of course the north-south travel within your region would still be long-distance. Put the championship games/tournaments in St. Louis and maybe I'll sign on. . .

Agreed that it's not a serious idea anyway, however.

Edited by Doc

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is a big time smokescreen. UCONN and Cincinnati have not suddenly come to accept they are being left out and trying to salvage something. Notice its just them. Why are these two schools, that seemingly have no other link other than they both desperately want to find a Big 5 home be working together to lead a path forward for Big East rejects? They arent. This would have been a lot more believable if it were to come months from now. Its a reactionary move of desperation and if they end up in the ACC it wont be because of this ruse.

I guarantee that it isn't just those two schools investigating this possibility. We have seen throughout this process that there are two schools unable to keep things quiet. Well, actually three but Louisville is now in the ACC. The reason these two schools names are all over this is that they are the two that blabbed.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

I think the ACC will move quicker and accept a few BE teams, including us, because of this mess. Probably won't happen until next year though.