• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Tressel?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

would give him the job in less than a heartbeat. Easily worth the risk and rebuilding period with sanctions.

Would it still be worth it to you if it meant possible probation for a minor violation? I like the guy and think he should be able to coach again. I think he should be able to coach again right now, in fact. NCAA, though, has stupid rules and has placed some of them against him for lying to them. He could inadvertently do something wrong and NCAA might come down hard against him and the school -- especially as they grow more and more power hungry with their penalties. Wait until they are finished with their witch hunt in Miami (telling former players they must meet with NCAA officials or they will be considered guilty? come on?) ... they'll be in full on power trip mode, then.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Well worth the risk and by far best option , not sure he would come here but either way usf won't do it.

Bobby Huggins anyone ?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I understand the baggage but how is this guy even in the mix?

He's not in the mix. Just us boardies dreaming and throwing names out there.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  370
  • Days Won:  0

I understand the baggage but how is this guy even in the mix?

He's not in the mix. Just us boardies dreaming and throwing names out there.

Well that's what I figured, that would be a dream name for me as well just never see him interviewing!

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Random...B1G coaches 4 years ago.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Tressels probably the hardest coach to read as to whether its a possibility or not. Realistically, we should have absolutely zero chance, but his show-cause changes the game quit a bit. I can't see any top 20-30 programs taking that chance. Especially since most of them probably do have some shady business already going on. I mean, its even "risky" for a school like USF with a small amount of major boosters and donors, but 10x worse for a major school. Whether that just means he ends up at a more "tier 2" type school like an Auburn or Arkansas or Cal type (although there's been no indication that he's been a candidate for any of the open jobs this offseason), or whether he has to take a chance (along with the school) at an ACC or Big East or bottom tier B1G (Indiana) school, I guess we'll have to wait to see.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I know nothing about this at all, but... I have a very good friend that is an OSU fan, loves Tressel. He actually thinks that the vest would be a great fit here. His take is that the whole ordeal was basically the coach falling on his sword to protect the players as much as possible. Anyway, I got the impression that he feels like Tressel is a low-key guy that could easily settle in and dominate the Big East... Here is his rant...

He has only coached at 2 places his entire career, Youngstown State and tOSU. He isn't the kind of guy looking to bolt. He isn't under the same National attention/pressure that he was under at tOSU if he were to go to USF, which might be a what he wants. Say what you want about him, he lied to the NCAA to protect his players and to give his Seniors (not the Tat-gate Juniors) a shot at a national title. The players absolutely loved him because he made them care about the school and it's traditions. Name another coach that would have received a standing ovation 1 year removed from infractions that caused a bowl ban during a 12-0 season.

The punishment that Tressel and tOSU received was more of a reaction to the NCAA getting embarrassed by all the TV media outlets than it was a punishment for a crime. He didn't hide a pedophilia on campus for 25 years and he didn't turn a blind eye to a booster recruiting players with prostitutes, cash, etc...tOSU was a major program that got caught during a slow period in the media news frenzy. If they were the third school to get caught, they obviously wouldn't have received the same sanctions that Miami and Penn State received.

At USF, the media isn't nearly as concerned about day to day operations and tend to look past issues. When Leavitt assaulted the player, is was national news for a few days, maybe a week on ESPN2...if Tressel did that, it would have received the attention that Bob Knight got for the same thing. The NCAA is less interested in giving a smaller program (income wise) a major penalty. Basically if it isn't substantial news, it's not an infraction...

The gist of our back-and-forth emails was that this guy didn't think it was too crazy to think that he could come here. But, who knows...

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I have heard no rumors about the vest being interested or even a candidate, but even so he is unemployed and did get some things done, even if he cheated. I see Tressel as another Petrino or Davis... damaged goods that we might be able to pick up on the cheap.

I think the sanctions that the NCAA placed on him personally makes him more damaged goods than Petrino or Davis. I'd love to see Butch Davis coach the Bulls; the man would kill it for a few years, keep the program clean (since I think he was the fall guy at UNC), and he'd move on after his 3rd or 4th year leaving USF in a much better position (and, hopefully, in a new conference).

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Orlando Bull I like your friends optimism, but it's opinion and as much as I want to buy it I can't. Guy is top tier any program would love to have him sanctions or not. I don't think he would want to come here and I know usf doesn't have the cajones to hire him.

Pipe dream, would be the greatest day in usf history IMO