• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bobby Petrino...SEAL THE DEAL!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Didn't Petrino get hired by Idaho earlier today?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  554
  • Days Won:  0

Not gonna happen. If you listened to DW's presser, he mentioned integrity like 4-5 times. Same goes for Davis.

Integrity from the guy that gave a losing coach an extension so that he could include clauses to line his own pockets and stick USF with the $2.5M bill.

Huh? DW wrote his own contract extension? Riiiiiiight.

Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure he had no idea about the incentive matching.

"Nearing the end of USF's fiscal year, on the same day Genshaft sent Woolard the offer letter, he signed an extension for football coach Skip Holtz, and the next day, for men's basketball coach Stan Heath, with both new deals including upgraded postseason incentives. Genshaft co-signed the extensions on June 25, with Holtz's bonus for winning the Big East doubling to $200,000, and $400,000 for playing in the national title game. Heath, whose previous contract paid him $25,000 for making the NCAA Tournament, now gets $50,000 for that, as well as an additional $25,000 for each NCAA Tournament win."

Because its totally never heard of to have incentives to ADs? I don't see any incentives for Woolard if the coaching staff he hires loses. What are you freaking talking about? They raised Woolard's incentives? Well he has to hire a winning coaching staff right?

From last October.

http://content.usato.../1#.UL1oF4Y4m5Q

...Following the lead of the $5 million football coach, athletics directors may be next to hit the college sports salary jackpot...

As a AD, it gives the impression of impropriety to extent a losing coach's contract, giving him additional bonus incentives that you are negotiating to receive in your contract as well. I don't have a problem with DW's contract, or Heath's renewal. There was no reason to extend Holtz at that time.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  554
  • Days Won:  0

Not gonna happen. If you listened to DW's presser, he mentioned integrity like 4-5 times. Same goes for Davis.

Integrity from the guy that gave a losing coach an extension so that he could include clauses to line his own pockets and stick USF with the $2.5M bill.

Ok, whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm sure he had no idea about the incentive matching.

"Nearing the end of USF's fiscal year, on the same day Genshaft sent Woolard the offer letter, he signed an extension for football coach Skip Holtz, and the next day, for men's basketball coach Stan Heath, with both new deals including upgraded postseason incentives. Genshaft co-signed the extensions on June 25, with Holtz's bonus for winning the Big East doubling to $200,000, and $400,000 for playing in the national title game. Heath, whose previous contract paid him $25,000 for making the NCAA Tournament, now gets $50,000 for that, as well as an additional $25,000 for each NCAA Tournament win."

Because its totally never heard of to have incentives to ADs? I don't see any incentives for Woolard if the coaching staff he hires loses. What are you freaking talking about? They raised Woolard's incentives? Well he has to hire a winning coaching staff right?

From last October.

...Following the lead of the $5 million football coach, athletics directors may be next to hit the college sports salary jackpot...

As a AD, it gives the impression of impropriety to extent a losing coach's contract, giving him additional bonus incentives that you are negotiating to receive in your contract as well. I don't have a problem with DW's contract, or Heath's renewal. There was no reason to extend Holtz at that time.

That article was written last October. Its a trend in college football to give ADs incentives and at the moment, the amounts are increasin. If anything the incentives in DW's contract facilitated Holtz's departure. Woolard has a vested interest in success, there is noting wrong at all with increasing both last year either. The reasons were laid out why Holtz were given an extension, both by Woolard and the chairman of the trustees. If USF was going to a BCS game this season, those incentives would be the absolute last thing in the world you'd be complaining about. Right?

Anyone that understands the game of football knew that we were going to be bad this year. Holtz was a bad hire and an even worse extension. What exactly did he show last year that required an extension? That he could have players get better grades? That he could get sports writers to drop his name in coaching search articles?

On topic: Petrino is the best football mind/between the lines coach we have a shot at. No brainer to attempt to get him.

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Any actual news on Petrino? Let's get this thread back on topic, huh?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  208
  • Days Won:  1

Any actual news on Petrino?

Monday December 03, 2012 10:56 PM EST, Bobby Petrino still an unemployed flake.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Personally, it seems fairly clear that USF would not consider Petrino. In our short history, our Athletics Dept and University have generally sought to do things a classy, quiet, and "right" way. We can thank our leadership for that, which starts with Dr. Genshaft. Naturally, Mr. Woolard has done things with an eye towards that philosophy, which I like. Everyone wanted to know why UConn was busy "whoring" itself out to the ACC - well, I'd rather our University was doing things behind the scenes, as an example. Therefore, it would make little sense to hire Petrino. Skip may have played Mr. Nice Guy too well, but no way we do a 180 back the other way.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

From last October.

That article was written last October. Its a trend in college football to give ADs incentives and at the moment, the amounts are increasin. If anything the incentives in DW's contract facilitated Holtz's departure. Woolard has a vested interest in success, there is noting wrong at all with increasing both last year either. The reasons were laid out why Holtz were given an extension, both by Woolard and the chairman of the trustees. If USF was going to a BCS game this season, those incentives would be the absolute last thing in the world you'd be complaining about. Right?

Anyone that understands the game of football knew that we were going to be bad this year. Holtz was a bad hire and an even worse extension. What exactly did he show last year that required an extension? That he could have players get better grades? That he could get sports writers to drop his name in coaching search articles?

On topic: Petrino is the best football mind/between the lines coach we have a shot at. No brainer to attempt to get him.

Holtz was a bad hire? Looking back, yeah. But back then, maybe 10 people thought so. And looking at all the 1 play or end of game losses last season, many, including people who are paid to write about the BIg East football conference thought USF would do well this season. So what you are saying is skewed from what has happened, obviously.

And back on topic, these incentives in Woolard's contract aren't linked to Holtz, they are linked to the position and I am GLAD they are in place. It is going to motivate him to him the best fit. And Petrino, isn't it. This isn't an NFL team, this is a public higher education institution and there are expectations on the character of those hired that limit the field of applicants. Petrino will NOT be coaching in college, not this year.

Stop the presses... me and slick actually agree on something here...

If DW is truly interested in lining his own pockets, the coaches need to succeed and achieve their bonuses. If there were $400k sitting there for the taking in the watered down big east, how difficult would it be for you to decide to fire Skip who clearly isn't the man for the job?

I like it. DW's financial success is tied to the success of the programs he runs. This should make him relentless about hiring the best possible fit for the job. The only down side is if he hires someone that gets USF into NCAA trouble somehow...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

No Petrino!