• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calvin Magee to Right the ship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Apparently he was interviewed last time around. Woolard is therefore already familiar with him and he has added some experience since.

Was just gonna post this. Pretty sure he was 3rd on the list. Unfortunately Skip was first on the list and it never got that far

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Also think having Frey on staff would be great.

Go BULLS !!!

STAMPEDE !!!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Kravitz for DC?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

"A familiar name for Bulls fans that resurfaced Monday: Calvin Magee, 49, the former Bucs tight end and USF assistant from 1996-2000, who has helped Rich Rodriguez with prolific offenses at West Virginia, Michigan and now Arizona. The USF graduate interviewed for the job when Holtz was hired and has been contacted again, with a strong interest in returning to Tampa. He has worked with quarterbacks like West Virginia's Pat White and Michigan's Denard Robinson, and his Arizona offense averaged 521 yards per game this season while piling up 58 touchdowns."

http://www.tampabay....h-search-begins

I wouldn't call Michigan's offense under Rich Rod "prolific". And Rich Rod's defenses were pretty pathetic, as was Arizona's this year. If he's at all like Rich Rod then he won't be able to adapt to the players on the roster and will ignore the defense and discipline. Pitt's offense was better this year after he left and Sunseri became a better QB with Magee out of the picture. I understand wanting a guy people are familiar with, but that doesn't make him good head coach material - even USF ties don't do that. I'd personally rather have Taggart with his experience and time spent under the Harbaughs.

michigan's offense was #8 total offense his last year. wvu #15 his last year. arizona #7 first year. maybe Magee learned defense from leavitt and offense from rich rod? i doubt he plays 3-3-5 stack like rich rod. I wanted him last time. even emailed woolard. I would not mind this hire at all. top 3 for me taggart, quinn, and magee. no particular order.

for comparison's sake, holtz the offensive genius had 2 offenses rank in the top 60 in all his years here and at ecu(I bet it goes back further considering he was demoted at south carolina). they were #48 and #46.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

"A familiar name for Bulls fans that resurfaced Monday: Calvin Magee, 49, the former Bucs tight end and USF assistant from 1996-2000, who has helped Rich Rodriguez with prolific offenses at West Virginia, Michigan and now Arizona. The USF graduate interviewed for the job when Holtz was hired and has been contacted again, with a strong interest in returning to Tampa. He has worked with quarterbacks like West Virginia's Pat White and Michigan's Denard Robinson, and his Arizona offense averaged 521 yards per game this season while piling up 58 touchdowns."

I wouldn't call Michigan's offense under Rich Rod "prolific". And Rich Rod's defenses were pretty pathetic, as was Arizona's this year. If he's at all like Rich Rod then he won't be able to adapt to the players on the roster and will ignore the defense and discipline. Pitt's offense was better this year after he left and Sunseri became a better QB with Magee out of the picture. I understand wanting a guy people are familiar with, but that doesn't make him good head coach material - even USF ties don't do that. I'd personally rather have Taggart with his experience and time spent under the Harbaughs.

michigan's offense was #8 total offense his last year. wvu #15 his last year. arizona #7 first year. maybe Magee learned defense from leavitt and offense from rich rod? i doubt he plays 3-3-5 stack like rich rod. I wanted him last time. even emailed woolard. I would not mind this hire at all. top 3 for me taggart, quinn, and magee. no particular order.

for comparison's sake, holtz the offensive genius had 2 offenses rank in the top 60 in all his years here and at ecu(I bet it goes back further considering he was demoted at south carolina). they were #48 and #46.

And yet they only went 7-6 with that fantastic offense that turned the ball over a lot. My mother went to Michigan and I grew up a fan - they are my #2 behind USF. Discipline was terrible on Rodriguez's teams. They had to score a ton of points just to stay in games because they couldn't stop the opponent.

The offense the next year did not post the same kind of numbers under Brady Hoke, yet they won more games and got to a BCS bowl.

Some do better than others, but a trademark of a Magee offense is sloppy play and plenty of turnovers. We have execution problems as it is.

As I said, look at how much better Sunseri has been without Magee.

I'll be honest, I really don't want someone from the RichRod family tree.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Dont judge Calvin under Rich, and Pitt he was CO-OC and was not the one in charge. Go look at WVU-OU game in 2007, that is the one real game Biggie never had a guy looking over his shoulder.

I dont see him using a 3-3-5 defense because that is a defense to take advantage on lack of speed and agility that WVU recruits lacked. Its a methodical defense in where its more smart football than aggressive football. I hated that.

I would think that a guy that could come with WVU ties for DC would be Dave Lockwood. Knows 3-3-5 setup for 3rd and long but coached 4-3 defenses. GREAT GUY.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If Magee brought Wally back as DC....

I'm just saying. No one would have any reason to believe that Wally Burnham would be anything other than successful as DC, again, here.

And yet they only went 7-6 with that fantastic offense that turned the ball over a lot. My mother went to Michigan and I grew up a fan - they are my #2 behind USF. Discipline was terrible on Rodriguez's teams. They had to score a ton of points just to stay in games because they couldn't stop the opponent.

The offense the next year did not post the same kind of numbers under Brady Hoke, yet they won more games and got to a BCS bowl.

Some do better than others, but a trademark of a Magee offense is sloppy play and plenty of turnovers. We have execution problems as it is.

As I said, look at how much better Sunseri has been without Magee.

I'll be honest, I really don't want someone from the RichRod family tree.

not sure what magee has to do with rich rod defense. 1 year with sunseri?? wow. don't give the guy much time. michigan still turns the ball over a lot. they were 89th in the country this year.

with wvu in his 3 years at OC they ranked 11, 14, and 34th in turnovers lost. I expect with a high powered offense that takes chances you will always have more turnovers.

honestly I'm a defense first guy but if we go offense then Magee is by far my choice.

If Magee brought Wally back as DC....

I'm just saying. No one would have any reason to believe that Wally Burnham would be anything other than successful as DC, again, here.

+1

Dont judge Calvin under Rich, and Pitt he was CO-OC and was not the one in charge. Go look at WVU-OU game in 2007, that is the one real game Biggie never had a guy looking over his shoulder.

I dont see him using a 3-3-5 defense because that is a defense to take advantage on lack of speed and agility that WVU recruits lacked. Its a methodical defense in where its more smart football than aggressive football. I hated that.

I would think that a guy that could come with WVU ties for DC would be Dave Lockwood. Knows 3-3-5 setup for 3rd and long but coached 4-3 defenses. GREAT GUY.

he called an unbelievable game that day and stewart got all the credit.