• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calvin Magee to Right the ship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37
  • Days Won:  0

He seems too nice.

YEA OK. ask any of his players that. I fumbled a ball verse UK and never saw the field again as a BULL but it tought me a great lesson

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Again can someone supply his background? I not familiar with dude.

Year in Coaching: 23rd

Year at Arizona: First

Magee joined the Arizona staff on Dec. 7, 2011 as Arizona's associate head coach, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach. He's been a successful coordinator of spread-option running attacks for head coach Rich Rodriguez at a number of stops.

During the 2011 season, he served as assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Pittsburgh. With more than 20 years in coaching, he has been on the sidelines for eight bowl games.

Magee coached for Rodriguez for three years at Michigan (2008-10) and for seven years at West Virginia (2001-07). He was associate head coach, offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Michigan, and coached running backs throughout his tenure in Morgantown while adding the coordinator post his final three seasons and assistant head coach his last year at West Virginia.

Magee was an All-American tight end at Southern University, earning first-team honors in 1983 and 1984. He led the Jaguars each of his four seasons (1981-84) and was MVP of the 1985 Freedom Bowl. He was a three-time All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection. He was inducted into the Southern University Hall of Fame in 2000.

Following his playing tenure at Southern, he had a five-year stint in the National Football League with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1985-89).

He began his college coaching career at South Florida where he coached tight ends (1996), running backs (1999-00) and served as running game coordinator those final two years.

A native of New Orleans, Magee earned a bachelor's degree from South Florida in 1990. He and his wife, Rosie, have two daughters, Jade and Jasmine, and a son, Bryson. Magee's Coaching History 2011 Pittsburgh, assistant head coach/co-offensive coordinator/running backs 2008-10 Michigan, offensive coordinator/running backs 2007 West Virginia, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/running backs 2005-07 West Virginia, offensive coordinator/running backs 2001-06 West Virginia, running backs 1999-2000 South Florida, running backs/running game coordinator 1997-98 South Florida, running backs 1996 South Florida, tight ends 1990-95 Tampa Catholic High School, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Magee in the Bowls 2011 BBVA Compass Bowl, Pittsburgh, co-coordinator 2010 Gator Bowl, Michigan coordinator 2007 Fiesta Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2006 Gator Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2005 Sugar Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2004 Gator Bowl, West Virginia assistant 2003 Gator Bowl, West Virginia assistant 2002 Continental Tire Bowl, West Virginia assistant Calvin Magee File Hometown New Orleans, La. High School Booker T. Washington College South Florida, 1990 Playing Career Southern, 1981-84, tight end NFL - Tampa Bay, 1985-89, tight end Family Wife, Rosie; Children, Jade, Bryson and Jasmine Recruiting Area New Orleans, offensive players

Nov. 21, 2012

TUCSON - University of Arizona associate head coach, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Calvin Magee has been named a nominee for the Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant, it was announced by the selection committee on Wednesday.

The Wildcats are bowl eligible in head coach Rich Rodriguez's first season at the helm of the program with records of 7-4 overall and 4-4 in Pac-12 play, including two wins against AP Top-25 teams (then-No. 18 Oklahoma State on 9/8, then-No. 10 USC on 10/27). The squad currently sits in third place in the Pac-12 South. Jeff Sagarin ranks Arizona's schedule as the third-toughest in the nation to date, with six of the Wildcats' 11 games being against teams in his top 30 (3-4 record). Looking at the BCS Standings this week, six of UA's opponents are currently ranked with the Wildcats, ranked No. 24 themselves, going 2-4 against those teams. Eight of UA's nine FBS opponents have earned an AP Top-25 ranking at some point this season. The combined record of UA's nine FBS opponents this season is 70-38.

Magee pilots an Arizona offense that hasn't ranked lower than 12th nationally and third in the Pac-12 this season. The Wildcats led the Pac-12 in total offense for four-straight weeks (weeks 6-9) and ranked as high as fourth nationally in weeks 3, 7, and 9. Arizona's offensive triple-threat attack features a 3,000-yard passer (Matt Scott - 3,008 yards), a 1,500-yard rusher (Ka'Deem Carey - 1,585 yards) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Austin Hill - 1,119 yards). The trio is the first of its kind in Arizona history, a school that has only once had a 1,000-yard rushing and 1,000-yard receiving tandem in the same season (Trung Canidate and Dennis Northcutt in 1999).

Arizona, which ranks second in the Pac-12 in rushing, has topped 300-yards rushing in each of the last two games, rolling up 438 against Colorado two weeks ago and another 320 last Saturday at Utah. That is 758 yards over the last two games (379.0 per game), which is more than the season rushing totals of two FBS schools - Tulane (432) and Washington State (330). Arizona now has 2,473 rushing yards on the season - the most at the school since 1999 - for an average of 224.8 yards per game. That figure would rank as the ninth-best season per-game total in program history if it holds up.

With a couple games to spare, Arizona has set a new record for total offense in a season with 5,740 yards, besting the 5,712 yards establishing a program best in 2010. With 521.8 yards per game, UA currently ranks second in the Pac-12 and No. 8 nationally in total offense. The Wildcats also set a new single-season school record for first downs with 314 this year. The record tally tops the previous mark of 309 set in 2011. Arizona leads the Pac-12 and is tied for fourth nationally in the category this season.

A 23-year coaching veteran, Magee joined Rich Rodriguez's staff at Arizona in December 2011. He served as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for the 2011 season, was Michigan's offensive coordinator from 2008-10 and spent the 2001-07 seasons at West Virginia. He got his collegiate coaching start at South Florida from 1996-2000. Magee has coached in eight bowl games with his ninth on the horizon for the Arizona squad.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Year in Coaching: 23rd

Year at Arizona: First

Magee joined the Arizona staff on Dec. 7, 2011 as Arizona's associate head coach, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach. He's been a successful coordinator of spread-option running attacks for head coach Rich Rodriguez at a number of stops.

During the 2011 season, he served as assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Pittsburgh. With more than 20 years in coaching, he has been on the sidelines for eight bowl games.

Magee coached for Rodriguez for three years at Michigan (2008-10) and for seven years at West Virginia (2001-07). He was associate head coach, offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Michigan, and coached running backs throughout his tenure in Morgantown while adding the coordinator post his final three seasons and assistant head coach his last year at West Virginia.

Magee was an All-American tight end at Southern University, earning first-team honors in 1983 and 1984. He led the Jaguars each of his four seasons (1981-84) and was MVP of the 1985 Freedom Bowl. He was a three-time All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection. He was inducted into the Southern University Hall of Fame in 2000.

Following his playing tenure at Southern, he had a five-year stint in the National Football League with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1985-89).

He began his college coaching career at South Florida where he coached tight ends (1996), running backs (1999-00) and served as running game coordinator those final two years.

A native of New Orleans, Magee earned a bachelor's degree from South Florida in 1990. He and his wife, Rosie, have two daughters, Jade and Jasmine, and a son, Bryson. Magee's Coaching History 2011 Pittsburgh, assistant head coach/co-offensive coordinator/running backs 2008-10 Michigan, offensive coordinator/running backs 2007 West Virginia, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/running backs 2005-07 West Virginia, offensive coordinator/running backs 2001-06 West Virginia, running backs 1999-2000 South Florida, running backs/running game coordinator 1997-98 South Florida, running backs 1996 South Florida, tight ends 1990-95 Tampa Catholic High School, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Magee in the Bowls 2011 BBVA Compass Bowl, Pittsburgh, co-coordinator 2010 Gator Bowl, Michigan coordinator 2007 Fiesta Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2006 Gator Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2005 Sugar Bowl, West Virginia coordinator 2004 Gator Bowl, West Virginia assistant 2003 Gator Bowl, West Virginia assistant 2002 Continental Tire Bowl, West Virginia assistant Calvin Magee File Hometown New Orleans, La. High School Booker T. Washington College South Florida, 1990 Playing Career Southern, 1981-84, tight end NFL - Tampa Bay, 1985-89, tight end Family Wife, Rosie; Children, Jade, Bryson and Jasmine Recruiting Area New Orleans, offensive players

Thanks Law. He does have a nice background.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

What is he doing now? Does any one have his career summary to look at?

Playing career

1981–1984 Southern Jaguars

1985-1988 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1989 Houston Oilers

Position(s) Tight end

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1996 South Florida (TE)

1997-2000 South Florida (RB)

2001-2004 West Virginia (RB)

2005-2007 West Virginia (OC)

2007 West Virginia (OC/Asst.)

2008-2010 Michigan (OC)

2011 Pittsburgh (Co-OC/RB)

2012- Arizona (Co-OC/RB)

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I would be okay with Magee or Taggart. My first choice is Dan Quinn. He's a succesful passionate D coordinator in the best conference in college football with recruiting ties in Florida.

Not sure he's interested, but I'd sure find out if I was DW.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

OK... I'm sold.

I like it, a guy that will bleed green and gold. A guy that has a passion for USF football. A guy who knows offense as well as anyone in the country (the way I believe that CJL was on defense).

If he truly can recruit, build a solid staff, and make some noise fund raising, I'm all in.

What possible reason could DW have for not having him on the short list? Not being sarcastic, really, what are his weaknesses. Law, you know him, I know you are a bit biased, but, if he were hired tomorrow, what would be your concerns, what part of the transition to HC do you think he may struggle with?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Again can someone supply his background? I not familiar with dude.

It's called Google, or even Wikipedia. Magee was part of our founding fathers.