• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Doug Woolard has a lot of work cut out for him. I hope he has the determination and stamina to see it through.

Did you see him after the search for Holtz? Talked to him at the basketball cabana just a day or two after. He looked beat up. Said he was living on about 4 hours sleep. He will do the home work to make a reasonable decision? Will our next coach turn out to be Vince Lombardi? Don't know. But it won't be from lack of effort and research.

If we were all perfect in our choices, the divorce rate wouldn't be around 50%.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Doug had no other option but to do what was done today.

I am a little leery about this next search.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369

USF Athletic Dept is closer in size and money to elite HSs than Ohio State Univ. The lack of excitement and energy around the program isn't the fault of Woolard. He and Bill are always talking in excited tones about the program, buildings, etc.

I expect much more than "talking in excited tones"... heck when Bobby Pascal was at USF the AD would run all sorts of community outreach programs that would pack the dome. And I don't buy the "our athletic budget" argument... our budget is like over $40 million. We should look professional.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

USF Athletic Dept is closer in size and money to elite HSs than Ohio State Univ. The lack of excitement and energy around the program isn't the fault of Woolard. He and Bill are always talking in excited tones about the program, buildings, etc.

I expect much more than "talking in excited tones"... heck when Bobby Pascal was at USF the AD would run all sorts of community outreach programs that would pack the dome. And I don't buy the "our athletic budget" argument... our budget is like over $40 million. We should look professional.

Budget no where near 40m.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Woolard actually was the man who got us to the Big East. When the CUSA was being decimated by the BE and L'ville, Cincy were bolting he wrote the deal that brought us along and made it possible to not pay an exit fee. I am hoping he is working the conference realignment like that again.

The extensions were crazy, but as stated here, his business of building the sports program overall is very good. The facilities are top, the sports teams have, overall, played better than in a long, long time. Erickson has stayed, even though we know he could go anywhere.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369

Budget no where near 40m.

Given how amatuerish our AD department looks I can certainly see why you might think that, but every source I have found puts it at about $42 million. There is a good USA today ranking, but it is hard to link to... the best one I can link to requires a bit of math as it only provides the student contributions ($15.2M) and overall percent of budget 36%.

So... $15.2M / 0.36 = $42.2M total budget...

update to include said link .. http://origin.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=248640

Edited by USF_Grouper

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Okay, hopefully everyone is satisfied that Judy and Doug pulled the trigger. I like Skip, think he had a heart of gold, and his team really liked him as a human being. And he was a good person to help USF get over what ailed it at the time. Lets not forget his first season, he kept the recrits in tact, we won 10 games and beat Clemson in a bowl. Also, supposedly we have had better recruiting than ever (yes the product didn't show these past two seasons). Also, his ex-DC is now winning games at Texas A&M including the win against alabama. No excuses though, he lost games he should have won. Way too many of them, and the team was ill prepared and made many mistakes.

Now onto Doug. The bashing of Doug on here amazes me. He brought Coach Heath to us (who took more than 3 years to have success). He helped engineer the rebuilding of the sundome and the practice facility. Two of the best facilities in the BE. We redid the track/field with the same materials as used on the olympic track in China. We have the best baseball, softball, and soccer complexes ever, and they are better than most if not alll of the BE. i think he waas here when we built out our athletics building, but dont recall for 100%. When he got here, our academics were a mess, he inherited. We were almost under serious sanctions from the NCAA. We had racial tensions in our Ath Dept, and coaching staff. We had improper firings,etc.... The program is cleaned up and moving forward, in large part due to Dougs efforts.

Big east, another story. But who could have anticipated its demise? And it isn't like the Big10, Pac12, Big12, ACC or SEC are calling and asking us to join. We were last into to Big East round 2. Now we are old hat in Big East 3.0. Hard to blame anyone other than the BE Commish for that debacle.

We were all happy with Holtz as a hire 3 years ago. Heck even Smazza had positive posts about the hire. He underperformed as head of a company with over 100 employees and annual budget in the tens of millions. He needed to go, though it is still sad. That being said, the time is now for them to find the right coach. Rather than a big name, I'd rather see a great assistant, maybe Defensive guy, from somewhere. That was our identity, thouugh not so much lately.

Anyway, please lay off pounding on Doug. He has done more positive things for USF than anyone on this board can imagine.

I agree 100%. We asked for the firing and received it. The easy thing would have been to keep him around another year, but DW made a move and it was decisive. I like that a lot. Now we have to move on to the next step and find the new leader. Hopefully things will go smoothly with the hiring process. Thank God 2012 is over with. Painfull to watch.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

DW needs to hit a home run /TD and the coaches need to produce ASAP !!!