• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Skip Holtz Stays @ USF, then

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

He should forego his salary for 2013. I think this would buy him a little respect from fans. He would have to combine this with an acknowledgement of his failures and a pledge to turn this football program back around. If we are stuck with him anyway this would at least numb the pain a little. At this point I am not sure he realizes he is part of the problem. At least he would then address part of the issue and begin the healing process.

never happen

he should be fired

Agree. However the scenario presented was if he stays (which is most likely).

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Afternoon everyone,

As much as I would love to baby boy Holtz gone. I have a question that sparks reservation about letting him go.

And that would be, who would they be able to get and who can they "afford" to get after buying out the contract? And this will have be looked at closely. In the years I have watched College Football in this state, I have never seen the amount of available coaching jobs going into an off season as this season has produced.

Looking it over, there are vacancies at:

1. Auburn

2. Tennessee

3. Kentucky (filled with Stoops)

4. Boston College

5. NC State

6. Arkansas

7. Colorado

8. Cal

9. Smaller schools not worth talking about.

There is also talk of a remote possibility of Mr Kelly leaving Oregon to go to the pros, so that would open another spot. Also, Paul Johnson at GT and Baby Kif at USC are in hot water to where their futures are unknown.

Those are alot of positions and looking over the big name coaches out there that could possibly bring in recruits due to their name alone, it is looking like there are more vacancies than actual people to fill those. Which is surprising in this day and age in the US, but, I digress.

Personally, I see Holtz there next year. Reasoning is not due to the record which has been dreadful, but, due to financial reasons and available named coaches.

Looks like Auburn might hire Charlie Strong, so you can take Auburn out of the equation and add UL

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

NC State coach was fired after qualifying for a Bowl game again this year, He has a winning record at NC State with wins over FSU this year and he got fired. Maybe we should give him a look here as our head coach?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

NC State coach was fired after qualifying for a Bowl game again this year, He has a winning record at NC State with wins over FSU this year and he got fired. Maybe we should give him a look here as our head coach?

That might impress a certain QB recruit....

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Well Slick, Holtz has only gotten worse while he has been here and the excuses are sickening, I wonder if his excuses can compete with those of other coaches.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Well Slick, Holtz has only gotten worse while he has been here and the excuses are sickening, I wonder if his excuses can compete with those of other coaches.

The only reason to have excuses is to appease fans who think that its totally normal to expect to go to bowl games every year. EVERY team old enough to be of legal drinking age (21) or older has many losing seasons throughout their history. Those teams have either fired or hired new coaches. Keeping or hiring has proved to guarantee nothing. Coaches kept after a 0 win season have come back the next year and had 8 or 9 win seasons. Coaches kept after a horrible season have continued to lose. Coaches hired after a losing season have continued the losing and somehow made the situation worse. Coaches hired after a coach has been fired for a losing season have turned the team around. Of course in that situation you run a chance of being in the same one as Rich Rod at Michigan who came in with a totally different scheme and had no players that fit it. He also didn't fit into the culture and in the time given him couldn't find a way to win like he did at WVU.

I am not saying Holtz should stay. What I am saying is that it is reasonable to expect losing seasons in college football and that next year could be the best in USF history or the worse regardless if Holtz is fired or replaced. It is all in the norm of what has happened in the history of college football. I want a winning team. I know in the grand scheme of things its much harder to have that happen and even when it does you can do the same thing the same way the following season and lose. I think that is where Skip is at now. He has won with his formula, different players, slightly different staff, and its not working at USF...this year. It may or may not in another. No guarantee that a new coach would do no better, no matter how they did elsewhere. At least not the level of coach USF can attract to this conference.

What I want to know is that if Skip is kept and has a 10 win season next year, how many on this board are going to still want him gone. It seems that some want him gone even if he wins the Orange bowl, which looking at the history of college football is in the realm of possibles.

Just cause he does some of the dumbest things I have ever seen,.........that is all

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Omg.....every game he does something stupid.....because we are fans we are dumber than him ? I have my doubts at this point

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

A year ago Florida fans wanted to fire Muschamp. I guess that wouldn't have been a good idea.

Did you really just compare Skip Holtz to Muschamp?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

But you have to wonder how much he can see from his vantage point of mid field in such a situation.

Slick, man, I've got lots of respect for you, but did you really just go there? The HC gets to be in whatever vantage point he wants on the sideline - if he's not in the right vantage point, it's his fault alone. There's no way to justify what an epic effup the end of the 1st half against Miami was.