• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Maryland/Rutgers Move and Impact on Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

If Big 12 makes a move it will be UL to 11 then stop, and this will only be to piss of FSU and other ACC football schools by leaving ACC with UConn.

Big 12 really wants B1G to take 4 (MD, RU, UVA, UNC), SEC to take 2 (VPI and NC State) and the Big 12 will be Big 14, IMO FSU, Clem, UL, and Gatech/Miami. big 12 also wants MDs buyout around $20 mil to open up ACC

I have posted before I like 10 in Big 12, but if it was 12 my choices was 1. FSU 2. Maryland 3. USF 4. UL, so a 9 game schedule was played and UT, OU would be very other year switched

So if 8 teams are taken out of ACC means Pitt, Cuse, Duke, Wake, BC and ND is either going back to BE, or Cincy, USF, UCF going to ACC

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It may be time for us to admit our only way out of be is to pair up with UCF and offer a conf the chance to lock up I 4 corrider.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

It may be time for us to admit our only way out of be is to pair up with UCF and offer a conf the chance to lock up I 4 corrider.

If it gets us into a power 5 them I'm all for it. It will have to be to the big 12. ACC and SEC already have FL markets.

Edited by Gismo

If it gets us into a power 5 them I'm all for it. It will have to be to the big 12. ACC and SEC already have FL markets.

That's exactly what I was referring to.

When I said beg borrow and steal your way out of BE I meant it.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

...never thought i'd hear that...

...never thought i'd hear that...

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

If the Maryland and Rutgers rumors come to fruition, I believe the next round of expansion will end badly for USF and others in Big East, and a subsequent TV deal. In the order of expansion attractiveness, I think we are 5th, at best.

1. Rutgers - most likely to Big Ten per reports

2. Louisville - most likely to Big 12

3. Connecticut - most likely to ACC to replace Maryland

4. Cincinnati - most likely to Big 12 to help bridge the geographic gap to West Virginia

Assuming for a moment the dominos fall this way, that would keep the ACC at 14, take the Big 10 to 14, and take the Big 12 to 12. There is also discussion that ACC would be interested in St Johns as a basketball-only member. This

would make sense as it would give the ACC an even number of basketball teams with Notre Dame joining, and it would give the ACC a basketball footprint in New York City.

This would leave USF relgated to essentially a modified version of C-USA with UCF, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Boise State and San Diego State. This would not be a conference that any network would want to throw much money towards.

I have the same fear, but don't sell undersell USF. Beneath the surface, USF has the best value among members remaining in the Big East. Of course Rutgers and Cincinnati are-at least currently-better for the ACC and Big 10. But other than, our location and whole overall academic profile make us at least third for the northern conferences, and the best for the Big 12. The Ohio valley would be good for the Big 12 Conference. But adding a presence in Florida, and developing a Gulf coast sub-conference identity is more important. The Big 12 needs a bigger footprint, and the school in the biggest available city in a developing top 3 state, is hard to overlook. The Big 12 has to compete with the SEC.

Here is another benefit for the Big 12: picking up us and possibly UCF will hold geographic pressure against the SEC and pull regional attention to the Big 12, while helping nudge the ACC away from the SEC.

Adding USF is so bold, it is the obvious choice. It is hiding in plain site.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This stands out from the USA Today article.

Maryland was one of two schools, along with Florida State, to vote against raising the ACC exit fee to $50 million. If Maryland joins the Big Ten, it will likely attempt to negotiate the number down or challenge it legally. One ACC official, who asked not to be identified due to the sensitive nature of the situation, said the conference would take a hard-line stance on the buyout.

"Our legal council was present during those meetings and they listened to the discussions that surrounded the increase and they absolutely are satisfied that it's legally binding," the official said. "There are no loopholes."

On top of Maryland's money woes and actually cutting sports, which is also noted in the article. Is the Big 12 going to pay the ACC $50 million? Really?

I wonder if this news was put out by ESPN to spur haste in Big East's TV negotions.

Again, conspiracy theorists...The Big Ten expansion has everything to do with the Big Ten Network, which is co-owned with Fox Sports.

Has nothing to do with ESPN attacking athe Big East.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

This stands out from the USA Today article.

Maryland was one of two schools, along with Florida State, to vote against raising the ACC exit fee to $50 million. If Maryland joins the Big Ten, it will likely attempt to negotiate the number down or challenge it legally. One ACC official, who asked not to be identified due to the sensitive nature of the situation, said the conference would take a hard-line stance on the buyout.

"Our legal council was present during those meetings and they listened to the discussions that surrounded the increase and they absolutely are satisfied that it's legally binding," the official said. "There are no loopholes."

On top of Maryland's money woes and actually cutting sports, which is also noted in the article. Is the Big 12 going to pay the ACC $50 million? Really?

I wonder if this news was put out by ESPN to spur haste in Big East's TV negotions.

Again, conspiracy theorists...The Big Ten expansion has everything to do with the Big Ten Network, which is co-owned with Fox Sports.

Has nothing to do with ESPN attacking athe Big East.

right, because people in negotiations have never orchestrated disinformation campaigns. it is to espn's benefit to float rumors about the big east being vunerable right now. these rumors have absolutely nothing to do with fox sports or the big ten network. sure if it happened then it would benefit them but the rumors only hurt the big east in negotiations.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

pure speculation. I wonder if CBS is in negotiations with big east? trying to devalue the product to bidding opponents is an obvious negotiating tactic. espn did that for more than a season when big east turned down their offer.