• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An Amazing Rendition of the Nat'l Anthem...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Am I the only one that does like how some in the audience try to change the words of our National Anthem and substitute the word "Bulls" in for "Brave"? Am I'm too sensitive to the fact that we are trying to pay tribute to our country and can't hold off just one more second before making a USF cheer out of it? I've been to a couple away games where we've had a large enough contingency where it can be heard and have heard comments from the host fans that it is disrespectful and I honestly can't argue with that. Do fans of other teams do this?

I know UCF fans do it on the "Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there." They yell "Knights!" instead of night.

Too be honest I'm a big fan of, "... home of the Bulls!" I don't think of it as a slight to anyone. Ray Jay is the home of the Bulls, which I believe is included in what home of the Brave means. I understand some people may not like it, but it's not meant to offend. If you're offended, I'm sorry that you take it the wrong way, but I'm not stopping.

No - I'm not taking it the wrong way. Before the anthem is played, you're asked to stand and honor our country. You feel it's okay that during this time that we're honoring our country to yell out a cheer for your team, right? If this is true, I'm taking it the right way. Let's look at another situation - when asked to stand for a moment of silence to honor someone's passing, do you pass up that wonderful opportunity to shout out "Go Bulls!" at the top of your lungs? Why not? Would that be a slight to the person being honored? Don't try to come back and tell me that's it's not the same. If you feel it's not the same, you're taking the National Anthem wrong.

I appreciate your opinion, but I disagree.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Am I the only one that does like how some in the audience try to change the words of our National Anthem and substitute the word "Bulls" in for "Brave"? Am I'm too sensitive to the fact that we are trying to pay tribute to our country and can't hold off just one more second before making a USF cheer out of it? I've been to a couple away games where we've had a large enough contingency where it can be heard and have heard comments from the host fans that it is disrespectful and I honestly can't argue with that. Do fans of other teams do this?

I know UCF fans do it on the "Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there." They yell "Knights!" instead of night.

Too be honest I'm a big fan of, "... home of the Bulls!" I don't think of it as a slight to anyone. Ray Jay is the home of the Bulls, which I believe is included in what home of the Brave means. I understand some people may not like it, but it's not meant to offend. If you're offended, I'm sorry that you take it the wrong way, but I'm not stopping.

No - I'm not taking it the wrong way. Before the anthem is played, you're asked to stand and honor our country. You feel it's okay that during this time that we're honoring our country to yell out a cheer for your team, right? If this is true, I'm taking it the right way. Let's look at another situation - when asked to stand for a moment of silence to honor someone's passing, do you pass up that wonderful opportunity to shout out "Go Bulls!" at the top of your lungs? Why not? Would that be a slight to the person being honored? Don't try to come back and tell me that's it's not the same. If you feel it's not the same, you're taking the National Anthem wrong.

Just remember that many have shed blood and paid the ultimate price for you to have the freedom to do that.

Just remember that many have shed blood and paid the ultimate price for you to have the freedom to do that.

And many thanks to the people that made that possible, but I just don't see changing the last word to Bulls as disrespectful to anyone that helped make that possible. If they interpret it as disrespect, then so be it. They took it the wrong way. No one yelling Bulls at the end is intentionally trashing the nation or anyone that made it possible.

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,764

It took me a while to get used to "..of the Bulls", but it doesn't really bother me. At first it did, then I got to thinking...people continue to get to their seats, they don't stop and face the flag, some don't stand, they continue to hold conversation during the anthem, so I'm numb to it. And yes, LOTS of other teams doctor the anthem, but I still play along old skool and come to attention and face the flag.

What I like, really like, is when the announcer asks everyone to stand for the national anthem, and immediately asks veterans or active duty to stand as well and be recognized. OK, the whole stadium is now standing so I'm guessing we've got thirty-thousand-plus active duty and ex-military. Who'd have thunk that many....and those kids, how'd they get past the age requirement?

Bottom Line: not offended, and I used to have short hair & shiny boots, but that's just me.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,615
  • Days Won:  424

Just because everyone else participates in asshattery doesn't make it right. We should just stop playing the anthem before every random sporting event. Should only be used at games involving a team representing the united states.

This .... No idea why and when this was started but it's gotten out of hand .... but if you're going to play it every time, use a recorded one that's done the way it was meant to be ... a march. These long drawn out homages to the singer are usually just painfully long. Obviously there are times for special ones, like the Super Bowl, but high school girls volleyball???

It took me a while to get used to "..of the Bulls", but it doesn't really bother me. At first it did, then I got to thinking...people continue to get to their seats, they don't stop and face the flag, some don't stand, they continue to hold conversation during the anthem, so I'm numb to it. And yes, LOTS of other teams doctor the anthem, but I still play along old skool and come to attention and face the flag.

What I like, really like, is when the announcer asks everyone to stand for the national anthem, and immediately asks veterans or active duty to stand as well and be recognized. OK, the whole stadium is now standing so I'm guessing we've got thirty-thousand-plus active duty and ex-military. Who'd have thunk that many....and those kids, how'd they get past the age requirement?

Bottom Line: not offended, and I used to have short hair & shiny boots, but that's just me.

A couple sits 3 rows down from us, he just left active duty, every time they do that, she and her mom both sit down.

And many thanks to the people that made that possible, but I just don't see changing the last word to Bulls as disrespectful to anyone that helped make that possible. If they interpret it as disrespect, then so be it. They took it the wrong way. No one yelling Bulls at the end is intentionally trashing the nation or anyone that made it possible.

You can do and say what you want, but to say the "if they interpret it as disrespect" line is BS. It's not up for interpretation, it is disrepectful, period, bottom line. You and whoever says that is putting the Bulls ahead of the Brave. Your right tho. I'm stepping off of my sopa box now.

Ok then; we agree to disagree and I'm sorry it offends you.

• Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

I Never say home of the bulls and never will...just don't like it....only my grandfather was in the military in my family and he passed away some years ago now....so don't have any direct family in militarynow, but home of the bulls just rubs me the wrong way...its already ingrained into our game day traditions so it's not going anywhere....just have to get use to it as I have