• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jimmy Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I would love to have Butch Davis. I don't see anyone like Jimmy coming back after being out for so long.

Davis is the best proven coach available who could come for our money. He could do amazing things for our team esp the defense. And the guy is right here in Tampa coaching in the same **** stadium!

He's getting paid by the bucs and unc right now, so whatever we'd pay him would have to be more then both of those combined.

His salary at UNC was a little over $2 million when fired. They paid him a $2.7 million severance pay and Davis has already received $933,000 of that severance, but the rest of it comes in increments of $590,000 a year in 2013, 2014 and 2015 — but only if Davis is unable to find a coaching job. If Davis has resumed his coaching career, North Carolina can deduct his coaching salary from that $590,000, and if his coaching salary is more than $590,000 North Carolina doesn’t have to pay him anything.

I'm not sure what he is making on the Bucs, can't find the info but I'm sure he isn't making the kind of money he could combined from both places that he would at USF a year. The most he could make from both combined without losing the UNC money is $1.18 million a year and that's if the Bucs are paying him $589,000 which they aren't for an adviser. He'd make more if at USF.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

I would love to have Butch Davis. I don't see anyone like Jimmy coming back after being out for so long.

Davis is the best proven coach available who could come for our money. He could do amazing things for our team esp the defense. And the guy is right here in Tampa coaching in the same **** stadium!

He's getting paid by the bucs and unc right now, so whatever we'd pay him would have to be more then both of those combined.

His salary at UNC was a little over $2 million when fired. They paid him a $2.7 million severance pay and Davis has already received $933,000 of that severance, but the rest of it comes in increments of $590,000 a year in 2013, 2014 and 2015 — but only if Davis is unable to find a coaching job. If Davis has resumed his coaching career, North Carolina can deduct his coaching salary from that $590,000, and if his coaching salary is more than $590,000 North Carolina doesn’t have to pay him anything.

I'm not sure what he is making on the Bucs, can't find the info but I'm sure he isn't making the kind of money he could combined from both places that he would at USF a year. The most he could make from both combined without losing the UNC money is $1.18 million a year and that's if the Bucs are paying him $589,000 which they aren't for an adviser. He make more if he at USF.

but does USF have the money to buyout holtz and pay Davis what he'd want? If we could get him for the right price I'd be ok with it

I'm not sure what he is making on the Bucs, can't find the info but I'm sure he isn't making the kind of money he could combined from both places that he would at USF a year. The most he could make from both combined without losing the UNC money is $1.18 million a year and that's if the Bucs are paying him $589,000 which they aren't for an adviser. He make more if he at USF.

but does USF have the money to buyout holtz and pay Davis what he'd want? If we could get him for the right price I'd be ok with it

Yes USF can put up the funds to get rid of Holtz. He's only $2.5 million to bounce which is feasible. Davis is at the mercy of colleges and really has no power to ask for HUGE money. He won't get more than what he was making at UNC and anything more than what he is making currently is a plus. I think we could get Davis for 1.5-1.75 a year for a first contract. Remember we are about to get a new TV contract that will give us a hypothetical increase of 4-6 million or more a year.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

Sounds good, I just want holtz out of here!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  198
  • Days Won:  0

What does USF get for bowl appearances? If that is more that 500k we have the money.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

NO.

He destroyed my Dolphins, NO.

That definitely should not be factor to consider, and I'm a big Dolphins fan .

College coaching is vastly different than pro. Look how many college coaches have failed when they go to the pros (and some vice-versa)

Big example, besides J.J's success with "Da U" compared to the Dolphins is another Dolphins coach, Nick Satan.

Failed with the Phins and bailed on them... but look at his success at Alabama (and before then with LSU)

Edited by dogma

Sounds good, I just want holtz out of here!

I just looked it up and Davis' original contract at UNC and it was only $1.86 million on a 7 yr deal. We could afford that or a little less and say 4 years with optional extension based on performance to bump salary.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

I am so against the Petrino idea. I don't like his style of team, even if you take out all his shadyness.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Wonder what it would take to bring in Jimmy Johnson or someone who knows how to win?

He did a great job at the U, He knows how to relate to the players. Maybe we could actually start winning the recuriting battle in the Bay area.

The game has passed Jimmy Johnson by. He's 69 yrs old and last coached CFB in 1988. Kids will not relate to someone that has been out of FB that long. What they know of him is that he's the other kooky guy along with Bradshaw on FOX NFL Sunday shows.

Bill Snyder is 73. Has the game passed him by as well?

Bill Snyder hasn't been out of CFB since 1988 either. The fire in Johnson's belly has burned out long ago. Snyder just needed to recharge his battery which is why he left KSU for a few years before returning.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

reagardless of who USF goes after they need to do it NOW, There are those who say wait for whatever reason but if we wait we wont be the only shopper out their looking for a coach. We need to strike first and get one signed before others start looking into the candidates.