• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Phone Call from Stan Heath today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Well, you asked "what does that say", you should probably expect some answers. I'd say that's a pretty smart way to get some "on the fencers" to pick up some tickets.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

What does it say about the fan base that the head coach has to personally call to get people to buy tickets?

I really didn't take it that way.

Personally I was on the fence because I live in Orlando, have 2 kids under the age of 3, and my wife is a pediatric resident who works 80 hrs/week. I put in an inquiry about tickets to John a week or two back and was really on the fence about it. If Stan Heath cares about the program enough to call someone like me to get season tickets, that's all the info I need.

I'd mark that up to Heath being a class act and not desperation.

People take stuff too **** personal. I was not directing my comment at you. It was a general observation of if the head coach has to close the deal, what does that say?

As my last line above said, I think it says a lot about our coach. He's trying to build the program. I really don't see him making calls as a negative.

He's at least 2 for 2 on the calls.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

Coach is working hard to build the program and excitement in it. With and improving team and a vastly improved Sun Dome facility, we should start drawing better; however, it is a long uphill climb from where we were.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

What does it say about the fan base that the head coach has to personally call to get people to buy tickets?

These were not random calls. Like Bull Martin I had contacted them about tickets and had not pulled the trigger. Like Martin, I as on the fence about coming up from Ft Myers and had put it on the back burner. The call reminded me and impressed me enough to go ahead and buy.

As for tickets themselves, John Lewis said there was nothing in the lower bowl except behind one of the baskets so I think they're doing ok on selling.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

That's awesome! I think it's cool when teams do this.

Edited by mikemcp88

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Crap... I've been on the fence too, but hadn't inquired. Now I think I might just to see if Stan calls me.

My biggest issue is that I want someone using my seats when I can't be there.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Nothing we didn't already know ....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

I really didn't take it that way.

Personally I was on the fence because I live in Orlando, have 2 kids under the age of 3, and my wife is a pediatric resident who works 80 hrs/week. I put in an inquiry about tickets to John a week or two back and was really on the fence about it. If Stan Heath cares about the program enough to call someone like me to get season tickets, that's all the info I need.

I'd mark that up to Heath being a class act and not desperation.

People take stuff too **** personal. I was not directing my comment at you. It was a general observation of if the head coach has to close the deal, what does that say?

As my last line above said, I think it says a lot about our coach. He's trying to build the program. I really don't see him making calls as a negative.

He's at least 2 for 2 on the calls.

I think the only negative DEL was alluding to is that in the last 3 years we've had the best year in our basketball history, coupled with a minimum top 5 year. Sales shouldn't be where Stan is having to take time out of his schedule to drum up buyers .... although I think it's awesome that he's doing it. The fact that the lower bowl still has availability is a little disconcerting considering one end is students and the other end has a lot IMG controlled seating. There shouldn't be anything available in the lower bowl .... but hopefully the 2nd level is getting a lot of action.

SilverBull was correct, though, when he said "it is a long uphill climb from where we were." I was just hoping the last 3 years would have leveled that climb out a little more than it looks like it has...

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sure Heath isn't the only head coach in college basketball, or athletics for that matter, that does something like this. This kind of thing would be good for any fan base.

FSU players called some of ticket holders - http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/053112aac.html

not 1st time, but good idea to implement and continue doing

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I'm sure Heath isn't the only head coach in college basketball, or athletics for that matter, that does something like this. This kind of thing would be good for any fan base.

FSU players called some of ticket holders - http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/053112aac.html

not 1st time, but good idea to implement and continue doing

My understand is those "calls" are usually made after a sale. Not to close the sale.

With that said, I still think Stan Heath is great and it is awesome a couple on here got a call.