• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Comments made before DC Cosh was hired.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Rizman

Question: What do you think of Chris Cosh based on where he has been and what he has accomplished?

Skingraft

Undecided.... His teams gave up a lot of points

redfisher78

Guy has been around. He was assistant coach at K State and they had a great year. hopefully he can get some consistency here. Did like this from his Wiki page.

While at Maryland, Cosh was frequently criticized by fans for the inconsistent performance by Maryland's defense, which was described as "poor to occasionally impressive". Friedgen praised Cosh's recruiting but showed public frustration with Cosh's in-game coaching.

Southshore26

13 jobs in 25 years.... the guy can't seem to stay in one place and I can't find a situation where he left a position on his own... always seemed to be ushered out or flat out fired. Doesn't sit well with me.

snarling Bull

Not impressed. He was fired by Lou Holtz at SC years ago at a time that he had plenty of coaching experience under his belt. The way teams put up numbers against his D last year at least we shouldn't have to worry about close games.

BullFan98

I would prefer someone who had DC skills and recruiting connections to Florida. He doesn't have the latter.

Southshore26

His record would put the former into question too.... I'm not seeing an upside from any angle here... If I'm missing something please someone enlighten me....

Bull Martin

Unless HC at KSU told him "Looking for a new job wouldn't be a bad idea"

RDurr

We despised him at Maryland. his defense was only geared towards not giving up the big play. it was painful to watch because the opponent's time of possession would always be through the roof. it's just not exciting to watch a defense that doesn't blitz and gives up a few yards at a time allowing them to march down the field. i don't think we had the talent at the time to go real aggressive, but we all really hated Cosh and loved his replacement, Don Brown. Sorry I couldn't come with better news for you guys.

Danm1983

If he fails and causes us to have another losing season, he could be the downfall of Holtz as well.

Here's hoping he can do well with *hopefully* having some better recruits/players than he's used to at Maryland and K State.

bullcocky101

He is another bend but dont break guy. He will have the db's play soft to limit yards after catch. The thing I don't like about this type of defense is that it relies on other teams beating themselves through turnovers (probably why cosh's teams always seem to have so many of them). The question becomes whether or not giving up 300 yards is worth an extra turnover? If we had a high powered offense, this defense would be a decent idea. Big East quarterbacks however

have a knack for completing the 5 yard dump passes...hence the losing record last year.

fuhbull11

Great get ready to blow many more leads again this season. Our offense is not going to average 40 points a game like K-State. Two years from now we will be searching for a new HC anyway, so guess it really dosen't matter.

hbryan

You've really got to love this CFB coaching scam pulled on university after university. The system is ripe with under achieving coaches who just move from job to job to job from one HC buddy to another while making ever increasing salaries when the rest of America hasn't received a raise in four years, has taken pay cuts, or have lost their job.

If Holtz really wanted to win, he would get a young DC from an FCS or FBS (non-BCS) program that is super successful. Instead, he wants a buddy who worked with him (and got fired) even if the buddy hasn't really been uber successful. Sounds to me like Holtz wants to play the CFB coaching scam for buddies instead finding someone who can get our defense back to the level they need to be at. This keeps the young successful guys languishing in minor programs while the old buddy network makes their millions fielding a crappy product to university donors. Can you tell I'm not happy about this potential hire? :angry:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

lulz

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

**** we're good

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936

They should run all potential hires thru us first :)

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

They should run all potential hires thru us first :)

Sounds good to me

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570

Skingraft

So correct me if I'm wrong: Bend don't break approach that gets shredded by most spread offenses, he has no distinct ties to recruiting in Florida, and hes been fired more times than redneck shot gun....Can't wait.... Ugh

hbryan

You've really got to love this CFB coaching scam pulled on university after university. The system is ripe with under achieving coaches who just move from job to job to job from one HC buddy to another while making ever increasing salaries when the rest of America hasn't received a raise in four years, has taken pay cuts, or have lost their job.

If Holtz really wanted to win, he would get a young DC from an FCS or FBS (non-BCS) program that is super successful. Instead, he wants a buddy who worked with him (and got fired) even if the buddy hasn't really been uber successful. Sounds to me like Holtz wants to play the CFB coaching scam for buddies instead finding someone who can get our defense back to the level they need to be at. This keeps the young successful guys languishing in minor programs while the old buddy network makes their millions fielding a crappy product to university donors. Can you tell I'm not happy about this potential hire? :angry:

Jake_Ryan

This is a ridiculous comment. So Holtz doesn't care anything about winning, just hiring his buddies so they can get pay raises?

Do you think that maybe winning and being successful at USF might lead to some future pay raises for him?

hbryan

What? Snyder is proof positive that you don't need winning and success to get huge pay raises.....just good friends in high places.

But hey, now that Cosh is our new DC, I'll be positive about him and the hire until next season when/if his defensive schemes start resembling his prior SC, MD, KSU defenses that gave up swaths of yardage and gobs of points. I certainly hope he can recruit :huh:

Bubba Bull

Looks like another dud... hope I'm wrong but according to Terps fans this guy is the coaching equivalent of Mr. Magoo

The_Sheriff

Terrible hire. Our talent will make up for some of his inabilities, but all in all, this is two steps backwards for the program. Funny thing about the KState article discussing his season prior to the bowl game, a senior stated in the article that they wanted to help Cosh establish a name for himself. Cosh has been coaching longer than the senior for KState has been playing football. His name should be established by now.

How can you establish a qualified pool of individuals by only interviewing one applicant? I wonder if Doug Woolard will be held accountable for Skip's actions if things go down in flames next season? Thank God the basketball team is winning... Gives me something to smile about in the morning because our football team is being horribly mismanaged (something we got accustomed to this season).

emrober5

Terrible hire. Our talent will make up for some of his inabilities, but all in all, this is two steps backwards for the program. Funny thing about the KState article discussing his season prior to the bowl game, a senior stated in the article that they wanted to help Cosh establish a name for himself. Cosh has been coaching longer than the senior for KState has been playing football. His name should be established by now.

The_Sheriff

How can you establish a qualified pool of individuals by only interviewing one applicant? I wonder if Doug Woolard will be held accountable for Skip's actions if things go down in flames next season? Thank God the basketball team is winning... Gives me something to smile about in the morning because our football team is being horribly mismanaged (something we got accustomed to this season

'

Why don't we judge the hire once we actually see the defense?

Bull94

not impressed. bring on a top level assistant from a big time BCS defense or bring on a DC from a lower level stud defense.

don't bring in a guy just because you are familiar with him. recipe for disaster especially when he has been fired from same positon previously and his current job he is ranked outside of the top 70 defenses in the country.

Skingraft

not impressed. bring on a top level assistant from a big time BCS defense or bring on a DC from a lower level stud defense.

don't bring in a guy just because you are familiar with him. recipe for disaster especially when he has been fired from same positon previously and his current job he is ranked outside of the top 70 defenses in the country.

Bull94

I have to agree with some of the things I've read here and on other news site: this hire may/probably will make or break CSH here at USF.

charsibb

IDK, but I'm not feeling this one. I think we could/ should have done better. Hopefully Mr. Cosh proves me wrong.

Go Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Just look at the turn around the K-State defense has made this year. Cosh is a terrible coach.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

He's also mad at someone for starting this thread.

@LameChrisCosh

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Are you guys forgetting how bad the defense was last year? Remember the Pitt game, Cinncinatti, Louisville, and WV?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Are you guys forgetting how bad the defense was last year? Remember the Pitt game, Cinncinatti, Louisville, and WV?

This year it's every game