• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many members are in the HoT?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

They only play about 5 things anyways:

-fight song

-bull fighting first down song, whatever that is (twirl your horns around in a circle)

-that annoying "da daaaaaa da dun na, da daaaa da dun na, wa-wa wa-wa wa-wa wa-wawannaanwa wa" crap

-jump on it (really?)

-the dramatic dun dun dunnnn type of riff they play once in a while.

sat next to them for rutgers...honestly not terrible, just the fact they're not mic'ed up means they sound drowned out by the crowd and/or the crappy PA music.

fsu only needs 100 band members to play their fight song and their war chant...they'd only need 400 if they had to drown out the usf fans and band.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Wonder why FSU is only bringing the pep band.

I am wondering that as well.

FSU had a premium on their ticket allotment... they needed the seats.

you come off as a dbag critiquing the band

Whatever.... HOT has a history of being a lack luster program... just like our football team. The current director doesn't give two violation about being there... it's a stepping stone to a better job for him. HOT's marching and formations are sloppy and they're more concerned with having a good time than putting on a good show. Look... I was in a top level marching band and my wife was in HOT... it's a party to them. If they want to change that perception then that's fine... but that's the current status for HOT. I've been to their rehearsals.... there's no pride as a group for what they do. Individuals care but the group as a whole doesn't.

Like it or not, FSU sets the bar when it comes to marching bands in FL. They take it seriously, put in the work(Chiefs literally practices 3 times as much as HOT per week) and the final product on the field shows for both their pre-game and their halftime.

*excluding FAMU, whom is better, but irrelevant/nonexistent right now. (work hard, play hard, haze hard)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

It's hard to compare FSU and FAMU as they're completely opposite ends of the spectrum. FSU is a technical marching band... everything they do is about precision. FAMU is about entertainment.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Maybe it has something to do with FSU athletics being about $10M in the hole as of last budget.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Just saw that FSU has 480 band members? Wow.

To put this in perspective, went to an Allen High School football game in Texas this past friday night... Their HS Band has over 900 MEMBERS in it!!!

p.s. That new stadium is SICK!!!

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe it has something to do with FSU athletics being about $10M in the hole as of last budget.

Usually marching bands are either self-sufficient and funded by the alums or sponsors, not by the athletics department. I just saw someone on Twitter say that they still may be bringing all 480 since it's a night game and will just leave in the morning and go back up to Tallahassee after the game.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

HOT is around 300 this year.

FWIW Chiefs is only bringing a pep band this weekend(100people)... That being said they'll still smoke HOT. HOT is VERY down this year.

When has HoT been really good? Not trying to be insulting or anything, I just dont remember any games/performances where they blew me away.

That's what's I'm saying... we agree... the personnel in HOT... as a group... do not put in the same effort as FSU's band.

I've been in two college marching bands. HoT being one. Insulting or not, both of these statements are valid.

Why? The Band is normally a pretty important and respected part of College Athletics and the Gameday Atmosphere.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Usually marching bands are either self-sufficient and funded by the alums or sponsors, not by the athletics department. I just saw someone on Twitter say that they still may be bringing all 480 since it's a night game and will just leave in the morning and go back up to Tallahassee after the game.

1. Large band programs such as FSU, UF and other are funded by alums and sponsors.... normal programs such as USF, UCF are fully funded by their athletic departments. HOT is funded by USFAA.

2. While I would love to get to see Chiefs at full strength that's not going to happen. FSU is already short on tickets in their allotment... they're not losing 300 more to a full Chiefs band.

3. Game time has nothing to do with it.... Chiefs would return to Tallahassee Saturday night just as their cheerleaders and football team will.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Wonder why FSU is only bringing the pep band.

FSU had a premium on their ticket allotment... they needed the seats.

Whatever.... HOT has a history of being a lack luster program... just like our football team. The current director doesn't give two violation about being there... it's a stepping stone to a better job for him. HOT's marching and formations are sloppy and they're more concerned with having a good time than putting on a good show. Look... I was in a top level marching band and my wife was in HOT... it's a party to them. If they want to change that perception then that's fine... but that's the current status for HOT. I've been to their rehearsals.... there's no pride as a group for what they do. Individuals care but the group as a whole doesn't.

Like it or not, FSU sets the bar when it comes to marching bands in FL. They take it seriously, put in the work(Chiefs literally practices 3 times as much as HOT per week) and the final product on the field shows for both their pre-game and their halftime.

Once, at band camp.........