• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If his last name wasn't Holtz...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

the only pressure holding us back from tossing him is financial

usf has the money to can him. they just wont cuz their run by a bunch of soft *******.

While your correct that USF has some God awful leadership at various levels I think money is the main issue with not firing Skip.

At best we will be stuck with Skip for a few more years until it becomes cost-effective to buy him out or until Skip finds "greener" pastures.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Funny thing is I was trying to think of who else has come from Dr. Lou's coaching tree and can't think of any that were really successful?

ummm... Urban Meyer at Notre Dame?

Pete Carroll worked for Lou as a Grad Assistant, Monte Kiffin, Lane Kiffin, all 3 at Arkansas

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Funny thing is I was trying to think of who else has come from Dr. Lou's coaching tree and can't think of any that were really successful?

ummm... Urban Meyer at Notre Dame?

Pete Carroll worked for Lou as a Grad Assistant, Monte Kiffin, Lane Kiffin, all 3 at Arkansas

/enddiscussion

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

usf has the money to can him. they just wont cuz their run by a bunch of soft *******.

While your correct that USF has some God awful leadership at various levels I think money is the main issue with not firing Skip.

At best we will be stuck with Skip for a few more years until it becomes cost-effective to buy him out or until Skip finds "greener" pastures.

I don't think so. There is probably a break even, but, at some point, Skip will be costing USF more than it would cost to buy him out.

Not going to bowl games costs USF $$$. Empty seats cost USF $$$. That is the direction things are going with this guy. Time to cut ties, pay the 'we effed up' tax and move on.

I'm not sure what the buyout is, probably in the 4-8 million range, so, can a good coach cover that in 5 years?

Holtz has half a million more for staff than Leavitt had, you could presumably save some of that. Then, maybe the new coach makes a little less, gets to some bowls, ticket sales increase, new TV deal. USF can afford it if they wanted Skip out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

ever notice how everyone reading all these negative type threads kind of works the worry and concern into a frenzy--- like a pot of water starting to boil on the stove?

it's like one guy has to show his concern and throw out some possible dire scenario-- then the next guy comes in with yet another prediction which is slightly worse than the last one.

Meanwhile--- the team is actually working hard and has moved on from the game, hopefully focusing on the next opponent. But if you keep reading the threads here-- you get the impression that the whole world is falling apart inside USF football

We lost a couple of games-- didn't look too good doing so. But these kids can hang with FSU more or less. It might be another beatdown as some expect-- but let's not go nuts working ourselves up moreso than what two losses would normally do please.

Shake it off-- I know you think you have answers to the problem or think things are getting worse as we approach Thursday. It's not as bad as we are imagining -- not the coaching situation so much-- but life and USF sports-- we will be fine. Maybe not winning but fine all the same

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  70
  • Days Won:  0

....Would we be so presured to keep Skip Holtz? I'm really not a negative fan... But this is a legit question. Leavitt would have never let us lose to BSU....

leavitt let us lose against plenty of people

Yeah Army was the only on that resembles this and that 2004 season was a wash because of lack of depth and injuries. Leavitt also is ten times the coach of this slappy and his assistants would run circles around these clowns. And if you think I am wrong look at Burnham, McCarney, Lane, Kravitz, Frye, and list goes on and on of guys the would poop poop on this staff in recruiting and motivationing players. Ooo by the way Leavitt's recruits or at least his big time recruits are gone by now and this what you get. I have ties to this program since I was 9 years old and I am ashamed that I have to watch this product. There is no green and gold left any more it is just brown.

If you measure coaches by conference wins....no Leavitt isn't. He had his chance in CUSA and no conference title there either. BTW, you must have not been on the board when everyone started wanting to boot Leavitt because he couldn't contend, much less win a Big East title.

Did you watch the ELITE 11 on ESPN? What Leavitt recruit was invited, much less won MVP at this truly prestigious competition? Do some research.

Ok Elite 11.... when did that mean anything. Selvie only other offer Del State, Snake only 2 star no one know who he was, Sampson who, most people thought and list goes on and on of guys who were brought in during the Leavitt years that did not make some book worms list on rivals or scout. You guys are on this board are mouth breathers that have no true vaule on the actual process of building a program. Skip was givent he keys to palace and he lost them on his way to his Daddy's house. Leavitt might not have won a title but at least we competed for it. OOO right did he not lead us to bowl games year after year which in the end the post season in the goal number 1. Just except the fact Leavitt is a better coach then Skip and USF missed on the replacement hire.

I kind of like this guy. Skip SHOULD be out recruiting what Leavitt did in his time here. We're a BCS program that Leavitt got some national exposure for. Easier to recruit to that than a no-name upstart.

I have said the same thing on the other players... Leavitt DEVELOPED some talent. Aside from just getting better because they play every day, who on this team has improved vastly under Holtz and staff? No one. Absolutely no one. That is a huge issue. You're not going to recruit 25-30 game-ready guys every year, you have to develop the guys you have if you want to be successful.

Leavitt and mostly his staff did a great job developing talent. Now as a head coach Skip is the manager of this program and his staff and the staff is not living up to those how came before it in all aspects. We as fans really do not get a full understanding what is going on in the coaches office and how this staff is working together so it could be many things that are holding this group back from getting the job done. I am not taking a shot at these coaches in the aspect of their ability to coach but I do believe just because you know Xs and Os you do not know how manage "USF kids". By "USF Kids" are mostly kids with great upside but less then prefect tech and mental mindsets. In the end we got what you asked for a good guy coach that has no edge to him.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Leavitt and mostly his staff did a great job developing talent. Now as a head coach Skip is the manager of this program and his staff and the staff is not living up to those how came before it in all aspects. We as fans really do not get a full understanding what is going on in the coaches office and how this staff is working together so it could be many things that are holding this group back from getting the job done. I am not taking a shot at these coaches in the aspect of their ability to coach but I do believe just because you know Xs and Os you do not know how manage "USF kids". By "USF Kids" are mostly kids with great upside but less then prefect tech and mental mindsets. In the end we got what you asked for a good guy coach that has no edge to him.

He's got edge, edge enough to belittle our win in 2009 against the Noles. Edge enough to state that this isn't their first rodeo and they have faced plenty of high powered offenses and nationally ranked defenses. Edge enough to avoid putting his DC out their to answer the burning questions of the day. Edge enough to give glowing reviews of the next opponent.in rapid fire succession so that the critical questions about his own team and failures cannot be asked and addressed. He's an edgy and cagey little rascal.

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

....Would we be so presured to keep Skip Holtz? I'm really not a negative fan... But this is a legit question. Leavitt would have never let us lose to BSU....

It may be a legit question but doesn't make a whole lot of sense .... Who is pressuring whom to keep Skip?

OK I'll own up. It's me. banana.gif

Bastard ...

No, it's not. Firing Skip is not an issue at all right now ...except in the minds of some of our more delusional fans.

He's got edge, edge enough to belittle our win in 2009 against the Noles.

Is there a link to this "belittling" buried in the morass that is this board right now?