• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

See ya Skip... Wow...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

Holtz should go, but i think Doug needs some serious fire under his ass as well. extending Skip's contract by 5 years after last year's season was about as stupid a move as i can imagine.

we had an opportunity to take the next step with this program. Leavitt had plateaued and i still don't regret his firing, even though i am absolutely convinced he would have won us a couple more games last year and probably BSU this year... but we wasted a chance to build on the foundation that he left here and instead hired a guy who is ******** that foundation down the crapper.

the problem is they allowed the previous coach's personality affect who they hired to replace him. they thought "this guy screams and howls on the sideline and headbutts helmets and chokeslaps players so let's hire some Howdy Doody MF who wouldn't chokeslap someone if they R.Kelly'd his mother and put the video on YouTube."

finding the opposite of Leavitt should have played NO FACTOR in replacing him, but it seems that was the PRIMARY factor. the only thing that should have mattered is resume, and Skip's resume was certainly not impressive enough to warrant this job. a couple upsets and a couple CUSA championships with a few 8, 9, 10 win seasons at the mid-major level was not enough to get it done here, and his first two years only confirmed that.

then Dumb Woolard gave him an extension. INEXCUSABLE.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

i.e the cash would need to come from big donors

we just did this for CJL

the well is dry

While USF does not have Alabama money, you sound like USF has to hold bake sales and garage sales every weekend just to keep the doors open in the Athletics department. If that was so then why did they give Holtz and Heath contract extensions? Heck, they just gave Doug Woolard an extension that included a huge raise.

I am not in the "fire Holtz now" crowd, but USF athletics is not in dire financial shape. They could fire Holtz, but that is not USF's style.

The speed at which USF can suddenly be in "dire financial shape" is precisely the problem. Fire a coach and pay out yet another huge settlement while having to hire a new coach at another high salary will put USF in bad shape.

I'm not saying it isn't the best move or the wrong move to fire some staff or Holtz etc-- if anything is tenuous with USF athletics it is the relationship with fans of the program.

Nope, my main concern is that it takes a little more thought and planning than the knee jerk fire sale reaction where some pissed off fans start yelling for the coaches head after we lose a game or two after a sub par season. That's what the AD and President need to think about and why they make those insane salaries. They need to manage this situation, choose the best path, and hopefully avoid it becoming a dire financial situation.

Holtz should go, but i think Doug needs some serious fire under his ass as well. extending Skip's contract by 5 years after last year's season was about as stupid a move as i can imagine.

we had an opportunity to take the next step with this program. Leavitt had plateaued and i still don't regret his firing, even though i am absolutely convinced he would have won us a couple more games last year and probably BSU this year... but we wasted a chance to build on the foundation that he left here and instead hired a guy who is ******** that foundation down the crapper.

the problem is they allowed the previous coach's personality affect who they hired to replace him. they thought "this guy screams and howls on the sideline and headbutts helmets and chokeslaps players so let's hire some Howdy Doody MF who wouldn't chokeslap someone if they R.Kelly'd his mother and put the video on YouTube."

finding the opposite of Leavitt should have played NO FACTOR in replacing him, but it seems that was the PRIMARY factor. the only thing that should have mattered is resume, and Skip's resume was certainly not impressive enough to warrant this job. a couple upsets and a couple CUSA championships with a few 8, 9, 10 win seasons at the mid-major level was not enough to get it done here, and his first two years only confirmed that.

then Dumb Woolard gave him an extension. INEXCUSABLE.

agreed that the extension was a bad move. I cannot understand the reasoning. It has us in a pickle. Holtz must have one hell of an agent.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The extension was for 3 years. But the raise was retroactive. Still stupid.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

It's depressing to think that Skip is the highest paid person on the USF staff and is living up to his salary the least!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think if this year continues going the way it looks it will someone better find a way to come up with the cash to fire Skip and come up with a top notch coach or you will have major problems with the program for years to come.

I hope Woulard and Genshaft learned something from hanging on to McCullum for 2 years too long.

Right now this program is a mess. You lose your QB, the 2 running backs with any meaningful experience at all, 2 starting LBs, 2 starting DBs.

If you suck with the number of impact seniors on your team just think how the team will look with first time starters in all those key positions.

Attendance wise, next year your biggest OOC home draw is FAU.

Take a look around campus at all those shiny new toys. Those facilities have been built directly or indirectly on the back of the relative success of the football program.

If the administration let's this trend with the football team continue my opinion is it sets the program back another 5 or 6 years. If basketball drops off this year forget it. The entire athletic department is screwed.

Sorry, soccer can't carry the University.

We obviously don't have the big donor base that other schools have, but I have to believe that there are some influential power brokers involved with the program.

I would have to think that with each additional loss the heat turns up,n not only on Holtz, but on Woolard too.

When we entered the BE we entered the big time. I am pretty sure Woolard and Genshaft undertand the implications of a crappy football program. In the long run if we can't buy Skip out (if it becomes necessary) the financial implications are going to be felt deeply and for a long time throughout the whole athletic department.

that has been the general concensus

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry for all you married folk but look at the positives, at least there will be a lot of hot pieces of tail runing around this weekend and IMO probably the easiest of them all! It's all what you make it! Great way to get your frustration out.

That and I'm hoping Holtz's team can put on a great show this coming weekend against FSU because that helps out the basketball team. Key recruit Chris Perry will be visiting the campus on an official and never telling who else. Easy tail will help with him, but so will a great football atmosphere. GO BULLS!!!

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

I will withhold calling for his head until we are finished for the season. We can lose next week and still win the Big East. That was our biggest goal I thought. He has a chance to turn this team around and prove he has the ability to get that mess that we've seen the first four games (and maybe five) into some disciplined form of production.

Now I have to qualify the preceding statements by letting you know that I am sitting on the beach with my toes in the sand typing this out on my iPad. If I can make myself believe the Bulls still have a shot to win the Big East, I just may be able to get myself to believe I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Someone please post the Dumb and Dumber "Still a Chance" video. I think it's appropriate.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  1

You can't honestly believe that we can win the Big East? We just lost to a non-BCS team. We are two minutes and a lot of luck away from being 1-3.

If you are a recruit can you possibly take Skip seriously? We are on a collision course to be the fifth or sixth rated football program in the State of Florida. Given the state of play yesterday it's entirely possible and in fact likely that UCF and FIU would beat us.

I understand that it's unrealistic for USF to ever be consitently on par with UF and FSU. But given the demise of the U's brand and the hotbed of recruiting at our doorstep we can and should be the 3rd tier team in Florida.

Edited by wiltznucs